Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member from Southern Oregon

Post Thanks / Like

New Member from Southern Oregon

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered my MK4 roadster kit and am so excited to get this thing started! Like most of you I have been wanting to do this for years. I have two boys who are almost as excited as me. They are a little young at 11 and 13 but full of enthusiasm. They have been helping get the shop ready, sort of . I also have two brothers whom are planning to cross the country for extended weekends to take part. We all rebuilt cars but that was 20 years ago. At least this time I have money to do it and don't have to go to the junk yard for my parts!!

I'm planning to purchase the BluePrint Ford 306 c.i. Fuel Injected engine with the TKO 600 Transmission. Our DMV told me we that have to follow California emissions laws and I will have to put in catalytic converter and windshield wipers. Oh well.

I appreciate any advice

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your build. When do you expect delivery? What sort of options did you order?
    Interesting Oregon says you have to follow California laws.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I've built 2 Factory Five cars and it's been years of fun with great rewards, but I'm envious that you will have 2 sons and 2 bothers to join you. They will all remember the garage times forever.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that cats would be that big of a deal ??? I just brought a CA car up to my nephew and my wife called OR DMV, they told her it needed smoged and safety check to licence. when she called she got ahold of a person in Salem. There is no smog where he lives and went in and got registration with no issues, no snog no safety check. Just saying with DMV you never know what you may get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, welcome to the madness! On a positive note, your DMV contact is mistaken. Lot's of times you will get someone unfamiliar with the process. You are replicating a 1965 car and thus no smog required. Lot's of us here in Oregon have gone thru the process. You will need manuf cert of origin, they will need to see VIN (kit # stamp), application for title filled out, and proof of insurance. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/28-nort...need-tips.html
    Last edited by Plebeian; 05-21-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your responses. My kit finally arrived last week! A little delayed but no worries. I completed the build class at the end of July. Here is a photo of my 11 yo helping remove the panels today.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. You'll find those family work sessions will be a lot more fun than those past weekends spent trying to free up one rusty manifold bold. New parts are so much more fun to work with. Enjoy.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark
    It was good meeting you at the build school. Glad you finally recieved your kit. A few days after our build school I ordered my kit. The kit should have been ready yesterday, August 19. I'll be expecting a phone call from Stewart Transportation hopefully this week. Good luck on your build. I'll check back often to see your progress. Please feel free to call me anytime.
    Eddie L.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, also your earlier post of the picture did not show up...I think you need at leadt 20 forum posts before you can have certain priveledges including posting pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mark I received my kit last week also. We must have been on the same truck and probably close build numbers.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Looking forward to your build.
    I have #9101 up in the Portland area.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Must have been same truck. I started working on front suspension yesterday. Turns out that my 500# front springs weren't in the shipment. No prob, called FFR today and they are on the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie,
    It was good meeting you too. I have decided on an engine. I am going with Mike Forte and a DART SHP 347 Stroker engine. I'll send photos when I'm allowed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you in s oregon?

We run to medford and kfalls every so often.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Medford

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question about the front upper control arm. Should I put anti-sieze lubricant on the threads around the jam nuts or adjusting sleeve?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark-

Good luck as you get started! The second best decision I made was building my MK IV. The best thing I ever did was building it with my boys! I cannot tell you how much pleasure I have gotten working in the garage with my sons. I suspect you will all look back to the time you spent working together on this project as some of the best time you have shared. I hope you all have nothing but good fortune!

What happened to the BluePrint 306 you were going to use? Just curious...

I am looking forward to following your build thread!

Oh, and I didn't use anti-seize in the jam nuts or adjusting sleeve on the upper control arms.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Thanks for your message. When I returned from the build class I reached out to Roush Racing (their sales Rep gave a presentation at the class which was very impressive), BluePrint Engines, and Mike Forte (after reading Forum Blogs it sounded like a good idea). At any rate, Mike Forte responded to my email immediately including his cell phone number on a Sunday! We spoke on the phone and I was very impressed. The Roush Rep responded fairly promptly, maybe by Monday or so. BluePrint engines never got back to me, I even sent them a second email, no response.

The good news is that I feel really good about Forte and the 347 Dart engine. He is putting it together as we speak. We are going with fuel injection and a Tremec TKO 600 Transmission with the Quick Time bell housing. Going to paint the engine black. Up until now I have been completely undecided on the color of the car. Last night I woke up thinking it needs to be Maroon with a smoke strip and black running gear.

This whole blog thing is very new to me and I'm not sure how to start a build thread. Further, I have viewed some other build threads and am not sure mine would be worthy! Especially after looking at the Mk4 #7750 build thread by Edwardb from Lake Orion, MI. Compared to his mine will look like a GoKart build!

I must say that we are having fun. today we completed the front suspension and Wilwood brake upgrades.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for my super late response. I'm only now starting to get in tune with this Forum stuff. The kit was due to arrive mid June and it showed up August 10th. Its great, we are having a blast. The options I chose were IRS, front and rear anti sway bars, 17" wheels, Wilwood brakes, power steering, heater, wind wings, windshield wipers(by coercion from my DMV).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

Just seeing this now. I take the blame that we did not get back to you; my apologies. Mike has a solid reputation; you'll be happy with that engine. The 347 is a great configuration for the Roadster; keep us all posted!

Tell those guys in Eugene to take it easy on the Huskers this weekend...I think Saturday might be a good day to work in the garage instead of watching football....

-Pete

Pete
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263