Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Deck lid help

Post Thanks / Like

Deck lid help

I'm having a lot of churn with the deck lid. The problem I'm having is the deck lid seems too wide at the front to sit in the channel created by the side sail. If I flex it to make the front fit, then the rear is too narrow. Does anyone have any advice?

In this image, the deck lid is approximately square to the chassis and body-overhanging evenly on both sides.
    Thanks
    Last edited by craigfree; 04-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No picture showing.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to set the width of the side sails based on the engine cover. So with the engine cover in place, attach the side sails to the body which may require you to stretch them outward a bit or push them inward a bit. The bumper sets the side-sail rear width, so you don't have any room for adjustment there, but elsewhere you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the side sail isn't supposed to sit flush against the frame? What do you do with the door trim aluminum channels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people have found that using the fender brace from zero decibel motorsports http://zerodecibelmotorsports.com/pr...-fender-brace/ to be helpful in fitting the fenders.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The side sail sits flush against the frame where it is vertical (where that aluminum channel goes), but behind that (from striker area and back), you can manipulate the body in and out as needed. If you stored the body in a way that caused it to bend a bit, that could be causing it. You may have to make a "spreader" that will spread the side sails open a bit, enough to allow the deck lid to fit. Maybe put a halogen lamp on it a few feat away to get it warm for a day or two, or have it in the sun for a day or two, etc, until the fiberglass learns the new position. Also, you can use the door striker to push out the side sail in that spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, so the recommendation is to bow the deck lid to fit at the front and pull the side sails together with a turn buckle to fit the rear?

The rear fits so nicely unstressed, my train of thought is going the other way and make the front side sails widen or the deck lid skinnier (without bowing somehow).

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't look terrible, but widening the side sails up front is not going to account for all of that misalignment. You're going to need to flex the cover a little to get it in to place.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    You're going to need to flex the cover a little to get it in to place.
    Yeah taking a closer look at the pic, it looks like maybe you stored your deck lid flat perhaps? It looks to be sagging a bit. If you look at my build thread, you'll see that I used some balsa and fiberglass to form an arch in the deck lid, which I believe it is supposed to have. Giving it an arch in the back will also transfer to the front and help the front of that cover narrow and sit inside the side sails. To test that, tape the rear sides of the engine cover to the side sails, then use some wood pieces or something to shim the back of the engine cover up until there is a nice bow in it. See if that causes the front to drop down in.