Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Footbox Fresh Air Vent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Footbox Fresh Air Vent

I want to install a fresh air vent that I can open and close as needed. What system is everyone using? I also have a heater/defroster installed. Would it be wise to run a fresh air tube to it?
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started with a Cobra Earl's kit, but essentially only used the Atwood blowers from that kit. Made my own valves, used Hi Temp ducting, and my own switching and wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Heater and wiper in "Phase 2" which will commence when I take the body off the frame for paint. I also wonder of the idea of running the fresh air vent into the intake for the heater, then I could use the blower to pull more air in.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the scoops that connect to the front of the body, the hight temp hose and the vents from Breeze Automotive. Thought it was a little pricey but I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel. Always like doing business with supporting vendors.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I bought the scoops that connect to the front of the body, the hight temp hose and the vents from Breeze Automotive. Thought it was a little pricey but I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel. Always like doing business with supporting vendors.
    -Steve

Tried finding the vents at Breeze but no luck. I'll call them next week. Thanks.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    Tried finding the vents at Breeze but no luck. I'll call them next week. Thanks.
    I bought the scoops, high temperature hose and valves last week from Finish Line. Taylor walked me through what I needed and was great just sharing how cool it is that owners enjoy making these cars their own.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that, meant to say bought the components from Finish Line. Lost track of where the money goes.
    -Steve.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept it simple and relatively inexpensive. I used a brake hose connector in the front, and fabbed a pass through for the elephant ears. In the outside of the foot box I mounted a blast gate designed for a sawdust collection system. I connected them all with some high temp brake hose from Pegasus Racing. The blast gate was controlled by a choke cable mounted under the dash. Simple, but effective.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I reinvented the wheel. Bought some 3" bilge blowers and aluminum blast gates form Amazon, RV sewer drain line from Walmart and a piece of pvc pipe from Home Depot. Looking back on it, I would just purchase the high temp brake duct hose, and use that instead of the PVC pipe and RV sewer line. I molded a piece of the PVC pipe into a scoop that fits behind the brake ducts at the front and attached directly to the blowers. I fabricated a couple of brackets to mount the blowers to the forward 3/4 inch frame. Everything is painted black now and can't be seen on the completed car. I insulated the corrugated tubing where it goes between the elephant ears and the foot box. Both blast gates are operated by choke cables and the switches for the blowers are located next to them under the dash. Here are some pictures.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the heater fan for a fresh air fan ... here is the build thread (starts at Post 556).

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...all#post250176

I later purchased High Temp Hose and replace the heater hose that came with the heater.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Cobra Earl a FFR vendor?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe Cobra Earl is still in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have most of the Cobra Earl's kit left. As I said, I used the blowers, and there is a very slight chance that I'll use the intake ducts (probably not), but the blast gates, switches, wires, duct hose, etc I still have if you need. I'll check the inventory by next weekend. Make an offer. The blowers are Atwood 3000 if I remember. West Marine or Amazon should have 'em.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. All great ideas. I am not going to use the defroster vents with my heater and decided to use those tubes into the foot boxes and run fresh air tubes into the heater intake. I might box it in as Carlewms has. If it does not pull enough air I can add a Atwood 3000 inline. We will see how it goes. Love the FF Forum, so many great ideas and help.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was first building my roadster, I worried about the heater blower drawing in fumes from the engine compartment, rather than fresh air. Several of us on the FFCars forum, hashed over the different ways to deal with it. Boxing in the heater, or installing the heater fully behind the dash, etc, etc. A couple of members who had already built and driven roadsters, suggested that breathing in fumes, really wasn't a big issue when driving the roadster.

Well you know what it isn't... There is so much air movement under the hood, and in the cockpit, there is continuous fresh air being circulated. The only time I suspect you may even get a smell in the cockpit is if you were driving with a top, and the side curtains in place.

slpro1207, Also, if you were ever planning to be using a top, I think the defogger's might be a good idea...
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to jump ahead of anyone but I'd like to buy the blast gates and what you have left - PM me if still available.

Thank you,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixmsb View Post
    Not to jump ahead of anyone but I'd like to buy the blast gates and what you have left - PM me if still available.

Thank you,
    Bruce
    I'll check the inventory this weekend.