Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: F150 coyote oil filter

Post Thanks / Like

F150 coyote oil filter

What are my options for the oil filter using a f150 version of the coyote (2011)?

1. swap front cover, alternator, and filter adapter over to mustang version
    2. Install remote filter
    3. Any others? (Does the filter not fit after removing the f150 oil cooler?)

Sorry - roadster mk4

Post Thanks / Like
    Note: We have only used Coyotes from 2015+ Mustangs. My knowledge of the F150 Coyote is limited to what I could see on Google Images.

The factory oil filter location will definitely contact the front frame rail, so you're right about having to switch things up.

1. On the Mustang engine, at least, it goes Block -> Oil filter housing -> Oil warmer -> Oil filter. The oil filter housing is what is used to locate the oil filter off the block, and I ASSUME Ford just uses a different part between the two engines. This would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint, and also mean less parts to swap over.

2. Even if you swap to the Mustang oil filter housing, you'll need to run a remote oil filter. Our MKIV Complete kit came with an oil filter relocation kit. That being said,

3. When you remove the factory oil warmer/cooler, you'll need Ford part AL3Z-6890-A. Simply remove the oil warmer, thread this in, and thread the filter (or filter relocation plate) on.

Now, what would I do?

First, remove the oil filter, then the oil warmer. Check your FFR boxes to see if they included an oil filter relocation kit. If so, try using that plus the thread adapter, it may even fit with the F150-style housing. If that doesn't fit, I personally wouldn't bother switching to the Mustang-style housing, as you can ditch the oil filter housing all together and go with a unit like This

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Please let me know if I'm totally wrong, though.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The oil filter won't fit up to the block because of the different alternator location on the F150, either swapping the front cover/alternator or using a remote filter are the only two options I have seen. If you go the remote way make sure the adapter is for the correct year engine, there are two different shapes, one 2011-2014 and one 2015 on up.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6881-M50
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. That was the plan.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a test install of the motor. The F5R supplied relocation kit fits on the f150 location (with the cooler removed)

Inch or so clearance from the 4" tube going across the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    For simplicity and less places for failure to show up in the oil path, I would use the Mustang alternator mounting and the 2010-12 CTS-V filter on the block after removing the oil cooler. The 2010-12 CTS-V filter (Mobil M1-113, Napa 7060) is shorter and clears the frame. Ford part number AL3Z-6890-A is the connector needed to fit the filter to the block after the cooler is removed.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but that takes a new timing cover and alternator in addition to the new oil filter mount.

One of those choices you have to make and hope to not regret........