FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installing engine or letting it sit for awhile after delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Installing engine or letting it sit for awhile after delivery?

I'm really happy ordering a Blueprint motor from Chris Larson at Blueprint motors. I ordered the 347 with fuel injection. TKO 600 with Quick time bell housing. I know the answer but I'm curious to see when others have done to install the engine and transmission at the earliest part of the build. The Cobra is coming Mid May and the engine shortly after. just getting to excited I guess!! Thanks Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Makgecko2017 View Post
    I'm really happy ordering a Blueprint motor from Chris Larson at Blueprint motors. I ordered the 347 with fuel injection. TKO 600 with Quick time bell housing. I know the answer but I'm curious to see when others have done to install the engine and transmission at the earliest part of the build. The Cobra is coming Mid May and the engine shortly after. just getting to excited I guess!! Thanks Mike
    I waited until the chassis was pretty much done, except for the radiator.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Also, if you can lift the back of the car it really helps getting the driveline in without a lot of drama.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be an obstacle to other work you need to do earlier in the build, if it's installed early. What would be the point?
    If there is a time limit on the engine warranty, perhaps you can arrange for a delivery later, when your closer to installing it. Be a shame to have the warranty run out a month after your on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my engine/transmission once I finished up the wiring in the engine compartment. If you have space to
    store it, no big deal but get everything done that you can before you install it. Once installed, space is tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always complete the chassis build, plumbing and wiring prior to engine installation.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks, that is what I thought......

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I always complete the chassis build, plumbing and wiring prior to engine installation.

Jeff

An Expert Answer From An Expert Builder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave the engine out for as long as you can. At some point you will want to drop it in to figure our where fuel lines and some of the wiring goes but looking carefully at engine compartment pics of others w/ similar setups will get you very close. Look for carb vs efi, alternator mount position, PS pump position, firewall solenoid or not. Do install the engine/trans before the body. That will let you run the engine hoist straight in from the front which makes it a lot easier.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.