Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint the steering column??

Post Thanks / Like

Paint the steering column??

I'm gathering all the raw metal parts to paint all at once (using Eastwood 2k chassis paint), and most of it is obvious but the manual lists the "hot rod steering column" under the parts to be painted.

Looking at it though, it sure looks more like brushed stainless than steel.. but it's magnetic. So, do I paint this and the welded bracket, or not?

column.jpeg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is steel and requires some sort of coating to prevent rust. If you like the look you can clear coat it or use Sharkhide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    It is steel and requires some sort of coating to prevent rust. If you like the look you can clear coat it or use Sharkhide.
    Thanks NAZ. I'm a little surprised - even the welded-on bracket looks much nicer than all the other metal parts in the kit.. but I'd prefer it to be black anyway I guess. Stainless columns look a little bellybutton to me
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll be happy with the Eastwood 2k chassis black -- hard to believe it's rattle can paint it works so well. Goes on smooth and is durable.