Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Poll

Post Thanks / Like

New Poll

OK, if polls about daily drivers and first cars are acceptable, then I'll start this one.

Everybody has a can of 3 in 1 oil somewhere in the house or shop. How old is it; how long has it been around? We never use it up. I have a can that's been around as long as I can remember. It's a metal can with a cruddy top. There is no bar code on it, so that would date it back to the 70's, I think. Anybody have an older can around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, it's true. They never empty. I have a tin of CopperEase that has been 3/4 full since the 90's. I recently opened it again - still good.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one - also metal can with no bar code... early to mid-70's or so when I bought it as a kid at Gerber Hardware for lubing the chain on my Stingray.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Ive only been around since the mid 70s and have no idea what 3 in 1 oil is. Also have never bought oil in a "can". Plastic bottles for me. haha
    Am I old enough to be here?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Well Ive only been around since the mid 70s and have no idea what 3 in 1 oil is. Also have never bought oil in a "can". Plastic bottles for me. haha
    Am I old enough to be here?
    Scott,
    Your membership here will be probationary until you can identify and explain the proper usage of this:

Good luck with your test...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Scott,
    Your membership here will be probationary until you can identify and explain the proper usage of this:

Jeff
    Ha. My dad had one of those when I was young!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have one. I can remember as a kid all the full service gas stations would use those when they opened your hood and checked oil level then added oil after getting approval from the dad. Oh ya, I bet most people on this thread don't know what a full service gas station is.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an easy one, I think you may have started "identify this from the past" thread

Full Service, Of course, my buddy in HS worked for a fill service station in SLC. I was always amazed about how many things they could fix at a full service gas station.

Back then I had a HUGE 1957 OLdsmobile with a 372 in v8, "Ethyl" was 13 cents a gallon and regular was 11 cents.
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

Jeff

Oh No, I'm Old Too!

Always used those at Bobby Benson's Gulf Station!

He'd let me use a bay with a lift on the weekends if I manned the full-service lane.

Good Memories!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, do I win? Still 1/3 full, and yes it's been in my possession that long, was my dad's.

oil can.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    I still have one. I can remember as a kid all the full service gas stations would use those when they opened your hood and checked oil level then added oil after getting approval from the dad. Oh ya, I bet most people on this thread don't know what a full service gas station is.
    Ha! Full service gas stations and my failure to force the issue are the reasons my wife had never pumped gas before our 20th anniversary. Once we moved "away from civilization" as she refers to it, she finally agreed to start pumping her own gas rather than drive past the last station and ten more miles home only to have me drive ten miles back to the station, fill up, and then ten miles home again.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My father owned a Texaco service station in the early 60s. I started working after school and on weekends pumping gas. Did my first tune-up and brake job at 14. Anyone remember when stations put out signs declaring " Gas War ". I remember 18 cents a gallon.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    No cans here but I do remember that tool that Jeff has in his post. I remember my Dad always went to the local Texaco station "in the village" and the owner was extremely professional, always knew my Dad's name and called him Mr. Wittet. He wore the classic overalls with an oily rag sticking out his back pocket, always always checked the oil at every fill-up and just ran a great little business. When he was busy, he would call one of assistants out and made sure they ran to the pumps to service the customer quickly and also always cleaned the windshields. Alas that went away years ago but it is a good memory of my Dad and that Texaco station where I got free air for my bicycle tires. If only I could go back in time now and see my Dad again there getting the full service. Great memories.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Ok, do I win? Still 1/3 full, and yes it's been in my possession that long, was my dad's.
    Rich, that Feb 1962 manufacture date I'm pretty sure pre-dates any cans of 3 in 1 oil I have kicking around, even the one I inherited from my Dad ten plus years back. Although... I do have a can of military issued petroleum jelly, that my dad brought home from WWII.

I remember buying motor oil at a gas station, for my first car, that came in glass bottles, with a screw on metal pour spout. They had a whole rack of them sitting outside the door of the station. Every morning they would refill them from a 45 gallon drum. The station probably made an extra $0.05 a quart doing it this way.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an old metal 3 in 1 oil can , still with some oil in it, displayed with a few vintage oil cans on a shelf. The new one is plastic, and is used in SU carbs on the Healey and MGB. I understand it to be straight 30W.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a couple of those oil can spouts, came with me on two moves since oil cans were discontinued
    I have a can of 3 in 1 oil that I inherited from my dad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Rich, that Feb 1962 manufacture date I'm pretty sure pre-dates any cans of 3 in 1 oil I have kicking around, even the one I inherited from my Dad ten plus years back. Although... I do have a can of military issued petroleum jelly, that my dad brought home from WWII.

I remember buying motor oil at a gas station, for my first car, that came in glass bottles, with a screw on metal pour spout. They had a whole rack of them sitting outside the door of the station. Every morning they would refill them from a 45 gallon drum. The station probably made an extra $0.05 a quart doing it this way.

several stations in town had the glass bottles with "re-refined" oil for 15 cents a quart, I used a lot of it in my 51' Studebaker at about 50 miles to the quart. -- Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I think I may have one of those stashed someplace.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont remember buying 3n1 but have some, must have inherited it from a parent! I think i have an oil can spout some where, if not i will never be able to use the oil cans that are still floating around in the shed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'll play . . .

I don't have the [required to participate in this poll] tin can of 3-in-1 oil but, I do have a 60's generation tin can of "Marvel Mystery Oil" (red can) that I used to oil my air tools when I was a FORD mechanic . . . FWIW, I'm 68 and retired now.
    Old enough to recognize an oil can pour spout.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has a metal bottle of 3 in 1 in her sewing machine box. She hasn't used the machine for over 25 years but still has the oil!

Getting a little off track but still in line with the can spout and vintage oils---how many of you young bucks can identify what this is and how to use it? (Rich and Big Blocker Doc, you guys can't play 'cause like me you probably have at least one in a box in your garage )

I'll check back for your answers after I go yell at the neighbor kids to get off of my lawn.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprisingly I don't have any 3 in1 oil. But I do have a tube about the size of a travel sized tooth paste that is still 1/2 full of Never Seize. Bought it in 1988.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has a metal bottle of 3 in 1 in her sewing machine box. She hasn't used the machine for over 25 years but still has the oil!

Getting a little off track but still in line with the can spout and vintage oils---how many of you young bucks can identify what this is and how to use it? (Rich and Big Blocker Doc, you guys can't play 'cause like me you probably have at least one in a box in your garage )

I'll check back for your answers after I go yell at the neighbor kids to get off of my lawn.

Jeff
    I'm not going to be confused as a young buck (no comments) but I know what it is. I don't recall the exact brand, but had one similar to adjust the points in the distributor when I did such things in my high school days. GM cars (mostly what we had back then) had a cool little trap door on the distributor so you could adjust the dwell with the engine running. That was all back in the time when a tune-up meant new plugs, points, and condenser. A high budget tune-up also included a new rotor and cap instead of just touching them up with a file.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this count??

EncoOil2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Grandpas can

.IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0024.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue MK3 View Post
    OK, if polls about daily drivers and first cars are acceptable, then I'll start this one.

Everybody has a can of 3 in 1 oil somewhere in the house or shop. How old is it; how long has it been around? We never use it up. I have a can that's been around as long as I can remember. It's a metal can with a cruddy top. There is no bar code on it, so that would date it back to the 70's, I think. Anybody have an older can around?

Post Thanks / Like

Grandpas can

IMG_0024.JPGOK this was from grandpas garage, it's pretty old stuff.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That brings back memories. At our station, it was outside between the pumps in an old milk basket they delivered milk in glass bottles but this was "bulk oil". I had a 62 Chevy with a six cylinder that we were going to change out for a 409 but while I was waiting for my friend to finish building the engine, I had to drive it as was with the leaking six banger. I had to put in a dollars worth of gas at about $0.30 a gal and three quarts of oil (that bad). So after about a month, I had spent more money on oil than gas. Before, I had to do that, I had never noticed the oil sitting there. Never needed it!

Thanks,

WEK
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046