Hi all,

Now that I've mounted tires to rims and installed the completed wheels on the car, I notice what appears to be play in the wheel bearings. That is to say, when I shove on the top and bottom of each wheel, the rim moves ever so slightly. The fronts are worse than the rear, but all four wheels seem to move.

The front components are the standard MKIV spindles and hubs F5 provides as part of the complete kit. These hubs slid smoothly onto the spindle with a moderate shove to overcome the initial resistance.

The rear components are Ford Racing (M-5970-A) Steering Knuckles and Ford Racing M-1109-A Independent Rear Suspension Hubs provided by Mike Forte when I bought his Thuderbird IRS package. These hubs had to be pressed onto the spindles.

CraigS came by yesterday and he reports "At the front, as he [John] moved the tire/wheel by gripping top and bottom, I could feel the rotor move slightly in relation to the caliper. Also there was a definite click,click feel to the movement. It felt exactly like Fox wheel bearings that need another 1/4 turn on the nut. At the rear, we could see the wheel move, but there was no click,click. That could be the rubber bushings in the knuckle because I wasn't able to find an individual spot where something moved in relation to something stationary."

I have double-checked the torque on the one-time nuts securing the hubs to the spindles; they're solid. I have also torqued the lug nuts. All suspension bolts are torqued.

I also tried to wiggle the rotor from behind the wheel (with the lug nuts torqued). There's no movement there at all.

So now I'm stumped. Anybody got any ideas?

John