Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Powder coat or not

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coat or not

Did you order your frame powder coated or did you wait and have it done after mock up? Ordering the a roaster kit not sure which way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Order it, unless you are making all kinds of frame modifications or want another color other than black(or white for a race car) there is no reason not too. IT would cost you $1000-$1500 anywhere else

all 26 of the cars I have done have had a powder coated frame.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. You cannot get it done for that price anywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the powder coating any good at rust prevention? If not I was thinking about a raw frame and coating it with rust bullet then painting it. Rust bullet is used by auto restoration people to stop rust in its tracks and its so tough even a grinder takes a while to get through it.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the others have stated, you can't get a better price on powder coating than from FFR. And it is more durable at corrosion prevention than paint. Most of the aftermarket steel wheels are powder coated and they stand up very well against the salty roads here. The powder coat from FFR is good quality but there is no special prep done to the chassis before powder coating so all the welding dingle berries are simply coated over. If you are anal about a show quality finish and are willing to pay way more than what FFR charges then plan for the extra expense and labor and do the powder coating or painting after test fitting parts to your chassis.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've only had a couple of small areas where mine peeled or pulled up.

I was able to pretty much match the color and finish where I whacked the original mounts and installed my own.

It was an extremely inexpensive options compared to the shop that powder coats stuff near my home.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-10-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    GET THE POWDER COATING, I made the mistake of not coating my first build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased my frame bare and worked on it about a week doing the acid rinse and painting it with POR. It leaked rusty water out of the frame tubes for a couple of weeks until I drilled them to drain the residue. I didn't find POR to be the product I had expected. It is tough but brittle and damaged easily with impacts from wrenches and other parts. I had covered a lot of the POR with rattle can gloss black by the time I had completely assembled my roadster. If I had it to do over, I would get the frame with the powder coating.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build