FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vman's 818 Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Vman's 818 Design Ideas

Here are my design ideas for the 818. Which are in Albums in the Gallery section.

Here are the links to each Album. Each Title in Bold Black is a link.

818 Designs General

818 Rear Mock-up Designs

818 Front Mock-up Designs

818 Coupe, Targa, Softtop Designs

Vantage Design Project

Links to Threads that are still somewhat relevant
    Current 818 (May 2012) Coupe Add-Ons
    818s (Nov 2012) Coupe Add-ons
    Vman's 818 Design Mod.s
    Vantage Design Project
    W i d e Body
    818 Adrenaline Poster
    Note: A lot of the pictures in the threads are missing, but are still in the Albums above.

All of this is for right now. Circumstances may change, then I might consider it.

I will no longer be doing new designs for posting, as well as requests, unless already inwork.

I will Not be adding anymore new Albums & designs. I will not be adding any new updates and links to Albums in the #1 post.

I put all the designs in Albums to help give people easy access to them.

The designs are for inspiring people to come up with ideas or use as is. People can upload the pictures to this thread to discuss or to upload to your own thread.

People can change the designs to their liking*.

Terms of Use:

If you do use any of my ideas for private use, or for what ever reason other then commercial** use. All I ask is that you give credit.

*All pictures for private use only, you can use them and change them here as long as you don't use them for any commercial use.
    For commercial use, must have permission from myself and the original owner of the photos, in most cases the original pictures are from FFR.

**Commercial Use of Design Ideas: Must have my permission of my designs and from Factory Five Racing when applicable, being that my designs are based on their product.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-15-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are some older designs when FFR 1st released the 818 in a CAD model.
    Album: 818 Designs General

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    818 Rear Mock-ups
    Album: 818 Rear Mock-up Designs

Right now all the Rear Mock-ups have the same top recessed side/center vents and the same lower Lic Plate/vents and exhaust. There might be more overall designs later

1st Mock-up done a while back

Hella 9001 Tail Lights (same ones FFR used for turn signal)

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    LED 818 Rear Mock-ups
    Album: 818 Rear Mock-up Designs

LED strips and custom shapes can be seen or behind clear or smoked plexiglass of some type

.5" x 7.5" x 3 LED

.5" x custom length x 3 LED

Custom Shape LEDs
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    818 Front Mock-up Designs
    Album: 818 Front Mockup-up Designs

These are not the greatest front mock-ups, they were done way back when the base photo was the somewhat good one I could find, and it was before FFR changed the front side vents.

Some of the ideas are ok, but overall I am not that pleased with them.

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    more 818 Front Mock-up Designs

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    818 Coupe, Targa, Softtop Designs
    Album: 818 Coupe, Targa, Softtop Designs

Right now these are just mock-ups and done a while back.

Coupe mock-up. The rear view should look something like the Vantage Design

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vantage Design Project
    Album: Vantage Design Project

This was my design for the contest, Unfortunately I didn't get it done in time for the contest. So I still continued with the design until I came up with the 3.0 version.

I did have plans to use the current FFR 818 body and come up with something along the lines of the Vantage 3.0, but after many attempts to get better front, rear, new side views, along with maybe some inscreen shots from FFR's Solid Works, I just gave up on it.

The rear area is still not right, angle is off just a bit.

Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I think I everything up to date

Enjoy!
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    All these great ideas are killing me to know they are only available on pictures. lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for compiling all of your designs on one page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that vantage you designed is a great looking car!

I'm hopefully ordering my 818 this year and would love to see a third party develope this design for the bodywork. Dreams are free right?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    x2 on the Vantage. I've been studying the Roadster as a future project. If the Vantage were to ever materialize, you might make a convert out of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing how subtle changes can change the whole look. Just changing the angles in the radiator intake area improves the balance of the front. I gotta learn basic photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    It's amazing how subtle changes can change the whole look. Just changing the angles in the radiator intake area improves the balance of the front. I gotta learn basic photoshop.
    yep! flynntuna, do have the orig of that 818 front view? that is a perfect front view You wouldn't happen to have a rear view as good?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I took that photo with my cell phone at Huntington Beach. The rear shots not as good .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that front shot will work though Thanks hard to believe that was with an cell phone, you have a pretty good eye for taking photos.

Well now I have a front shot I can work with. A little shading here and there, take out some of the glare etc. should be good

Now I just need a good rear shot.
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a nice rear shot of Erik 818E.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7884878f.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Here is a link to a nice rear shot of Erik 818E.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7884878f.jpg
    What did all the stars align last night......lol I better check my heart just in case, since I told myself a while back that if someone ever gets some good front and rear shots, it will be the day I die.

Bob that will work, off just a tiny bit, but I can fix that with no problem.

Now I have some pic I can work with

David

Post Thanks / Like
    At the time I was focused on the changes I'd make to the front of the car, particularly the radiator area, the mounting points that can't easily be changed ect. The rear, I'm thinking that with a saw and an insert that you were describing would be the only changes I'd make there.

I'm waiting to see what FFR has come up with for the hard top. I'm hoping for a targa top, but I don't think that's what the end product will be. If I have to, I'll probably make a mold from the engine cover, and make a copy of it to modify for a targa top. But I haven't thought it all through yet. May just do a fiberglass top with soft top side panels like a modified bikini top.

http://www.projectgla.com/gstring_na.html
    Last edited by flynntuna; 01-09-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    At the time I was focused on the changes I'd make to the front of the car, particularly the radiator area, the mounting points that can't easily be changed ect. The rear, I'm thinking that with a saw and an insert that you were described would be the only changes I'd make there.

I'm waiting to see what FFR has come up with for the hard top. I'm hoping for a targa top, but I don't think that's what the end product will be. If I have to, I'll probably make a mold from the engine cover, and make a copy of it to modify for a targa top. But I haven't thought it all through yet. May just do a fiberglass top with soft top side panels like a modified bikini top.

http://www.projectgla.com/gstring_na.html
    A bikini top would be kind of cool.

I think the hard top from FFR may look something like mine from the side, but from the rear I think FFR is going to taper it way inward like the 2 humps are, which just won't look right. Now FFR does the hard top like the rear view on the Vantage and side view like the mock-up I did on the 818 that would look really good. Only thing is FFR would to do a new engine cover for that to work.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking about doing a poll on FFR's 818 vs Vantage, but of course I would be biased.

I think I need to get sleep, been up since 6PM thur. Probably won't be able to sleep though, now have is crazy 818 stuff on my mind again......
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-09-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well so much for that rear shot working. I had to slap myself for not seeing it right off the bat. The windshield is off the the right.

818s Rear 2sm.JPG

I know it sounds like being real picky, but the less work I have to do to create a blank the better.

The reason for being so meticulous on the photos, especially the front & rear, 1 less work in creating a blank, 2 once a blank is created. I only have to work with one side of the rear or front in doing mod.s, make copies and flip them and put on the other side. This way I am not doing twice work. Mostly because of all of the shading, shine, light sources etc. that have to considered.

Hope that makes sense.

Now this front shot is pretty good. Still needs a lot of work. Getting rid of a lot of glare and reflections, but those are not as hard as haveing to center a car.

818s Front 1.jpg

In other words. The whole idea once a blank is made, is to be able to work quickly in creating new mod.s or changes without having to do a lot of shading etc.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-10-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going through and saving some FFR Studio shots from their site right now and going through them.

A few areas on the 818 that have been driving me nuts for a while now, going to go through and address. Mostly some areas that should be either gone or smoothed out for a cleaner look.

This is something I might have brought up once before, but can't remember if I did or not. Do the front outside vents really serve a purpose? or are they one of those things that .... Oh look a blank spot let's put something there things?

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one of the areas I think needs to go. It draws attention to it and away from the flow of the body.

One of those, Oh look a blank spot let's but something there things.

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this needs to said 1st before I go any further, before the diehard 818 fans goes nuts.

The 818 overall has a great shape! But could be a lot better.

There are two main overall things going on with the 818 that not done right will clash. The 818 has a rounded shape to it, but at the same time has a lot of sharp lines as well. This where it gets tricky. Since most of the 818 has rounded shapes, the sharp lines need to be in the right places and not to many to overwhelm the overall look. In this case the 818 just needs a few of the sharp lines either removed or more smoothed out in order not to overwhelm the overall look.

These are just some of the areas I will work on to help give the 818 a cleaner look.

Some of the other ideas would be more of a mod or upgrade. To help give the 818 a more aggressive look and feel, but without compromising airflow performance (mostly in the front, won't really matter in the rear).

Now whether or not Dave Smith and FFR consider or even look at the changes is another story.

I have said this before and got some flak for it from Dave Smith and some others. I can't say for sure about Jim S., because I really don't know him or have ever had any conversations with him. So who ever designs the look of FFR's cars (mostly the 818 & GTM) from what I can only go by what I see, is this. They seem to struggle with certain areas. Now this is just an opinion from my view, nothing personal

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-17-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now that I am on a roll here.......lol

I have probably said this somewhere before......

The 818 overall is good, but I wouldn't say "wow, hair on fire" when it comes to the looks. From an chassis and engineering point, I would say outstanding!

Only reason I continue from time to time on the 818 design stuff is, there are ppl that really like the current look and would just like to change a few things on their own, so I try to help the best that I can, when I hav time.

In the current form the 818 is in the way of looks, I wouldn't really buy it even if I had the money, I am more of a Clasic exotic car person with a few of the newer styles, mostly Ferrari and Porsche. Now that is just me.

If for some reason, Dave Smith & FFR decide to ever consider outside help and or influence from whom ever. Then I might get back on the 818 hot and heavy, but until that happens, I really don't desire to get a lot involved with 818 that much anymore.

(ducking ahead of time for all the flak that is going to come my way....lol)

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-17-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the one that drives me crazy. The door lines that conflict with one another.

Notice how the lines I pointed to conflict, there is kind of an "X" going on there.

818S Door Conflicts.JPG

After giving the door lines a smoother Transition.

818S Door Corrections.JPG

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    This is the one that drives me crazy. The door lines that conflict with one another.

Notice how the lines I pointed to conflict, there is kind of an "X" going on there.

818S Door Conflicts.JPG

After giving the door lines a smoother Transition.

818S Door Corrections.JPG

David
    Hi David,
    first let me say that my eye for body style on a 1 to 10 scale is about a 2.
    I'm a chassis motor type of guy.

I think the lower line you are seeing on the door is just a light reflection. Take a look at this picture.

Bob
    DSC00779_zps0a521376.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi David,
    first let me say that my eye for body style on a 1 to 10 scale is about a 2.
    I'm a chassis motor type of guy.

I think the lower line you are seeing on the door is just a light reflection. Take a look at this picture.

Bob
    DSC00779_zps0a521376.jpg
    It's not a reflection. Reason you don't see it on the EV West one as much is one of 2 reasons. 1 the white is more subdued, either from the lighting or the white more flat.

The shinier the paint the more small details are going to show up.

I'll have to post more pictures of the FFR orig. from different angles to show what I am talking about.

What FFR basicly did was, they tried to bring the top line of the front fender over and down through the door and fade into the side vent. Then the rear fender line over into the door. That's where they intersect.

Now I would normally say that is ok, but and this is a big but! FFR broke up the front fender/door area. If the door was smooth with the front fender then it would be a little more understanding.

They need to either do a way with either the rear fender line coming into the door or shorten the front fender line coming into the door.

What I did was smoothed out the rear fender line coming into the door, and shortened the front fender line on the door.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    deleted
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to get back on this, with a better way of explaining and showing what I am talking about.
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    RE your front side vent question: They are for brake cooling but will only work if you fab up a manifd on the back side of them and add flexible duct routed to the brake discs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    RE your front side vent question: They are for brake cooling but will only work if you fab up a manifd on the back side of them and add flexible duct routed to the brake discs.
    hmmm..........funny place to be putting brake ducts. In front of the tires and to the outside at that, then having to bend the tubing in an "S" shape to make it back to the brakes.
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-11-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should have seen what I posted originally in Posts #34 &#35.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Should have seen what I posted originally in Posts #34 #.
    Heh, there is an art to providing criticism in a manner that will be well-received I'm still learning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Heh, there is an art to providing criticism in a manner that will be well-received I'm still learning.
    It was nothing at you what you said was fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast