BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under Door Carpet Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Under Door Carpet Fitment

How do you guys fit the particular piece shown in the first pic below? It's cut long enough that it appears the intent is to wrap it around the 2" square tube. But that looks strange to me, especially at the location of the green arrow where the edge of the carpet is exposed and visible from the top. Maybe something else (door sill carpet) covers this later?

A search turned up the second photo, which shows the carpet trimmed back short of the 2" tube. Just curious as to what is typically done here.

Thanks.

-Karl

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done it both ways. Just like you have it and also did by cutting it right at the tube. Looks better if its not wrapped around the tube. You are going to get an ugly seam where that piece and the next one meets. You can cover that with some aluminum angle.

Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 04-22-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The aluminum angle suggested by Mike is one solution (a good one) or you can have the edge of the top piece of carpet under the door finished with bias tape. Look under the door beside the drivers seat in the photo.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Karlos,
    You realize that the under door aluminum and corresponding carpet must be removed when the body comes off for paint, right?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Karlos,
    You realize that the under door aluminum and corresponding carpet must be removed when the body comes off for paint, right?

Jeff

No worries, Jeff. Not tacking any of this down - just trying to fit the puzzle pieces together for now.

Mike, Norm: thanks for the suggestions. That really is a homely looking seam. I have some leftover edge binding I can try. If unhappy with how that looks I'll go ahead and add the angles as Mike shows.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never looked at that area on MKIV, so it might be done differently now, then when I built my 3.1. I just tucked the carpet under the body opening edge seal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a pic for you and post later, but I covered that area with a small piece of extra carpet that fit around the vertical 2x2 tube. I had it edge bound and then glued it in place and it really finished the area around the door hinges well.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074