Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Graduation #8674, 20th Anniversary Roadster 03 of 20. 1,000 Mile Report

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation #8674, 20th Anniversary Roadster 03 of 20. 1,000 Mile Report

This past week the state of Michigan has decided I’m legal, and today the odometer turned 50 miles. So here’s my graduation thread. This is my third Roadster build. I poured my heart and soul into Mk4 #7750, which replaced Mk3 #5125 sold to another local club member. But not long after I retired, I was restless to start another build. When Factory Five announced the 20th anniversary Roadsters, I knew right away that was going to be my next build. We were driving to Factory Five for the 2015 open house with #7750 in tow on the Friday they were officially offered for sale. The minute the website was updated with the final information, I was on the phone placing my order for 03 of 20 while sitting at a rest stop on the New York Thruway.

My intended use was similar to my previous builds with 99.9% street cruising. So performance was important, but so was relative comfort and drivability. My original build plan was for a 351 SBF based 427 with EFI. After looking at options, doing the math, and receiving numerous recommendations, with some trepidation I switched the build to a Coyote. We picked up Roadster #8674 at the factory in Wareham on August 5, 2015. The guys were great getting everything loaded into our SE and the back of our Durango. Here is my ever supportive wife Sharon doing her best Vanna White imitation before we hit the road back to Michigan.

Since the 20th Anniversary Roadster was pretty fully featured, many of the build decisions were already made. 2015 Mustang based IRS (I’m pretty sure I was the first customer delivery), big Wilwood manual brakes, 18 inch FF Halibrand wheels, front and rear sway bars, dual action Koni shocks, GPS Speedhut gauges, Ron Francis wiring harness, leather traditional style Roadster seats, silver powder coated frame and white powder coated engine facing panels, overriders and rear bumper.

In addition to the Coyote powerplant, my choices included a 3.55 ratio iron IRS center section, TKO600 with 0.64 5th gear, KRC power steering, Forte hydraulic clutch, custom competition style dash with custom glove box, all leather interior including dash, door panels and transmission cover, Lizard Skin heat and sound insulation, seat heaters with no space heater/defroster, wipers, fully carpeted trunk, dual chrome roll bars, 100% LED lighting including headlights, GP headers, GAS-N side pipes. Additionally a number of personal modifications and fabricated parts.

I documented this build in great detail in my build thread (link in my sig line) so won’t go into too much more detail here. The build was just over the target time of 1-1/2 years, which included many of the usual life events during the same time, the biggest for us was selling our home and buying another a couple miles away and moving. A lot of work and an interruption to the build. I received a pretty big surprise when I ordered the Coyote crate engine and found that Ford had just released the 2015 Gen 2 Coyote. There are many similarities to the previous version, but also a number of changes. It was an interesting learning experience, especially since much of it wasn't documented at the time.

The color is Ford Red Candy 2, code RZ and GM Arctic White. I added a black pinstripe to the outside of the stripes, and really pleased with how it turned out. The paint was completed by Motor City Solutions in Taylor, MI. The same shop that painted #7750. A custom shop that does stunning work.

I’ve had the new Roadster out several times, including earlier today for my wife's first ride and turned the odometer over to 50 miles. What can I say? It’s simply incredible. The Coyote runs beautifully. Sounds different than an old school motor that’s for sure. But the way it starts and drives is amazing. Throttle response is instant. Starting at 3,000 – 4,000 RPM and up, it’s pulls like crazy. But it's also quite happy putzing along at 1,500 RPM in 5th, as I found out today. The SBF’s in my other builds, after tuning, ran very well. But this is a whole other level. I couldn’t recommend the Coyote any higher, and really happy I got talked into it. I’m also extremely impressed with the IRS. My other builds were solid axle, so this is my first IRS build and first time ever riding in an IRS equipped Roadster. It’s another very nice upgrade. Even with less than ideal Michigan roads, the ride is comfortable and relatively compliant. Also highly recommended. The KRC power steering works great. I still need to bed the Wilwood brakes, as they feel a little hard. But this is also my first build with manual brakes. Stops fine, just have to get used to a little more muscle.

Thanks to the various vendors, many forum vendors plus some others, the amazing support and encouragement of the forum members, and support from my wife and family. I feel very blessed to have a hobby that I enjoy as much as this one. Without further adieu here are some pictures. These were all taken in my driveway in less than ideal conditions with some “interesting” backgrounds (sorry about that) but will do for now.

Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation #8674, 20th Anniversary Roadster 03 of 20 (continued)

Thanks again everyone!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats got to be the best looking Coyote engine bay I have seen !!!!!

Kenny

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Congrats Paul. Enjoy the driving.

I can't thank you enough for your documentation of this car and paving the way with the 2015 Coyote. Simply put I really don't think I could have done it without your information and help!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Just EXCELLENT! What a fine car you have built. Congratulations! Enjoy!

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excellent Work As Always & Well Done Sir EdwardB, Well Done!

Like WareEagleScott, I too appreciate your extremely thorough documentation on this and your previous build.
    Your assistance has been invaluable even though my MK-4 is nowhere near as complex as either of your latest builds.

Excellent Work Equals An Excellent Outcome!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-22-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a beautiful car! Love the paint, stripe and front lights.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, beautiful car!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Looks great.

Thank you for the great documentation and answering my questions.

David
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    very, very nice! Congratulations on an outstanding build!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, that is one awesome FFR!!! Congratulations on a job well done!!
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent build.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, you keep raising the bar! Well done! I like the accents on the stripes and did them in tape on my car. I'll do them in paint when I do a repaint in the future. I can hardly wait to see that beauty in June!
    Congratulations and well done! Sten
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have set the benchmark and your help / advice to other builders cannot be over estimated! Congrats!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    The charity rides at the London OH Cobra show is a great opportunity to experience the exponential power build of the Coyote between 3,500 revs and 7,000. You should be able to slip into 3rd gear before the "shut down" cones. Looking forward to seeing the car put to the test and help raise $$ for a great cause.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great comments guys. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    The charity rides at the London OH Cobra show is a great opportunity to experience the exponential power build of the Coyote between 3,500 revs and 7,000. You should be able to slip into 3rd gear before the "shut down" cones. Looking forward to seeing the car put to the test and help raise $$ for a great cause.
    I've done the London charity rides with my other Roadsters. Great fun and for a good cause. I don't know what's more fun. Exercising the car or watching the reaction of the riders. Not sure I'll be running the new Roadster in the charity rides this year. It will have been barely driven by then. Plus I hear it may be dialed back even more this year. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Thanks for all the great comments guys. Much appreciated.

I've done the London charity rides with my other Roadsters. Great fun and for a good cause. I don't know what's more fun. Exercising the car or watching the reaction of the riders. Not sure I'll be running the new Roadster in the charity rides this year. It will have been barely driven by then. Plus I hear it may be dialed back even more this year. We'll see.

The Coyote/TKO combo with the Centre Force clutch is bullet proof. No need to worry about a few high rev runs. Lots of stopping power with those Wiwoods too. The charity runs are a unique "pay it forward" opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB, all I can say is WOW, beautiful!
    In talking with George Daulton while working with him at the Cleveland Auto show, (the Ohio Cobra club president), he mentioned that they may have a second type of drive this year, one less "spirited" for those who didn't want to stress their cars as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow
    just great
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, the same thing I was thinking all through the build. Awesome work, excellent execution, beautifully done.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Completely Licensed, 100 Mile Report

When I completed the Michigan title and registration process a few weeks ago, I had a paper plate while waiting for the personalized plate. Today my personalized plate was in the mailbox. Now it’s on the Roadster. That’s it, I’m really 100% legal and licensed.

The weather this spring has been slow to warm up and especially rainy. We’re in another several day spell of rain. Makes the grass green. But sure cuts into driving time. We’ve had a couple club events washed out as well. But last week I did turn 100 miles on the odometer. So a quick report.

Each time I drive it I’m impressed again with the Coyote. That thing is really sweet. The overall driving experience is just excellent. The only thing that seemed a little unusual was how early the cooling fan turns on and once on hasn’t turned off. I have an ODB2 scan tool that will stream live data. So I’ve been watching it closely. The fan is switching on with cylinder head temperature (CHT) at 80/81/82 degrees C. The Speedhut water temp gauge at that point isn’t registering much of anything, but I don’t think a surprise given where the sensor is located. Both CHT and indicated water temp eventually stabilize a bit over 90 degrees C (194 F) which seems about right given that I’m not driving it hard and the outdoor temps have been mild. I contacted Ford Performance support, and they said what I’m seeing is “normal” and nothing to be concerned about. He said the cooling fan runs continuously in most crate installations to make sure it stays cool. My sense is that Ford has it programmed very conservatively. I hear the fan occasionally while stopped, but that’s it. No big deal.

I’ve also been using the ODB2 scan tool to monitor target and actual AFR. I’m running the stock tune, and Ford said early on I could run lean with the non-stock intake and exhaust. They even threatened potential damage to the engine with lean runs. What I’m seeing is AFR almost exactly tracking the target at all times. The computer reads Lambda, and I’m seeing 1.000 (14.71 AFR for gasoline) or slightly under for both target and actual. No doubt there’s more power in there with a custom tune, but it’s running great and has the power I want (need…) right now. So as long as it’s running healthy, which it seems to be, I’m just going to drive it for now.

Last week I was able to get a decent day and a quiet stretch of road and bedded the brakes per the Wilwood instructions. After some driving and getting the brakes warm, did ten 65 to 25 mph fairly aggressive stops. Then drove some more to let the brakes cool back down. The difference isn’t night and day, but it’s definitely better. I’m still getting used to the push required for manual brakes after my last two Roadsters were power assisted. But I have plenty of brakes. With those BFG Rival S tires, it just hunches down and stops. Still too early to tell if I need to adjust the front/rear brake bias. Feels OK now, but we'll see.

I checked all the fluids. All look fine and no sign of any leaks anywhere. I'm closely watching the upper ball joints and the rear camber adjuster. Both have marks and so far no movement. It's early. I'll keep watching. Today I installed a Spectre Performance 8130 air filter heat shield under the K&N air filter. I read in another build thread that data logging showed air coming off the cooling fan had some interaction to the MAF sensor in the intake. Since my fan is running a lot, decided to go ahead and add the shield in mine. Can't hurt. It's held on by the same clamp holding the air filter to the intake. I did have to notch it a little so it didn't interfere with the X-member. But an easy install.

The Factory Five Open House and London Cobra Show are now just weeks away. Looking forward to those and doing some more driving.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent update. Happy to hear it's all working well. The sign of an quality build.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory tune is designed to operate the engine with the air box and filter that came with the controls pack, the factory headers that came with the crate engine and a standard Mustang exhaust system. It assumes you haven't blocked off any of the ports on the intake down stream of the MAF sensor (such as the return line from the vapour canister) or the PCV return lines. The factory tune will run the engine just fine but a custom tune will definitely make the motor run optimally without compromising the integrity of the engine. It will take into account the better air flow characteristics of the K&N filter, the Spectre intake tube, the Stainless headers and the GasN sidepipes. The tune is the easiest cheapest horsepower you'll ever gain. The hardware is already bolted on just waiting to be unleashed. With the variable valve timing, the custom tune can electronically tap into the valve timing and improve performance as opposed to installing a new cam shaft like in a push rod engine. My 2012 Ford Racing crate Coyote was rated at 411HP. I installed the same intake, headers and sidepipes as in your build and following a couple hours on the dyno, the final pull with the custom tune was just shy of 490HP. Pump gas and runs like a top after 30,000 kilometres (oops...18,000 miles).
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 05-06-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    The factory tune is designed to operate the engine with the air box and filter that came with the controls pack, the factory headers that came with the crate engine and a standard Mustang exhaust system. It assumes you haven't blocked off any of the ports on the intake down stream of the MAF sensor (such as the return line from the vapour canister) or the PCV return lines. The factory tune will run the engine just fine but a custom tune will definitely make the motor run optimally without compromising the integrity of the engine. It will take into account the better air flow characteristics of the K&N filter, the Spectre intake tube, the Stainless headers and the GasN sidepipes. The tune is the easiest cheapest horsepower you'll ever gain. The hardware is already bolted on just waiting to be unleashed. With the variable valve timing, the custom tune can electronically tap into the valve timing and improve performance as opposed to installing a new cam shaft like in a push rod engine. My 2012 Ford Racing crate Coyote was rated at 411HP. I installed the same intake, headers and sidepipes as in your build and following a couple hours on the dyno, the final pull with the custom tune was just shy of 490HP. Pump gas and runs like a top after 30,000 kilometres (oops...18,000 miles).
    I'm aware of everything you're describing. Pretty widely understood. The Gen 2 Coyote in my build has 25 more HP from the start, plus with the other changes made (cams, heads, valves, CMCV, PCM, etc.), maybe it runs better with a stock tune even with the mods in our installation. Who knows. The bottom line for me though, as I said, is I'm nowhere near using the power available now. Not even close. Especially after only 100 miles. As long as it's starting and running well and not doing anything that could be potentially harmful, as Ford warned about, I'm leaving it as is for now and will continue to monitor. At somewhere north of 435 HP, it's not exactly a slug. It will smoke the tires in most gears and go illegal almost instantly. Very strong and very fast.

Since the need for a custom tune on these engines is discussed quite a bit on both forums, I wanted to share my Gen 2 crate Coyote experience with everyone. It appears the standard tune can be run safely. The stalling issue with the Gen 1 crate Coyote is completely resolved without any mods or the speed dial module. The starting, driveability, and instant response are all there. Clearly the option is available to dial up the power if/when desired. But it's not mandatory.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Paul. I'm with you. As long as it is operating in a safe manner with the stock tune it is plenty enough for me. I am sure the custom tune is great for a track application but for the driving you and I will be doing it is plenty.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Tremendous Paul, congrats on a amazing car.
    Thanks again for the detailed posts, a huge help.
    Now it's perfect time for you to start enjoying it!
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

1,000 Mile Report

Today while taking the grandkids on rides, the Roadster turned 1,000 miles. Woo-hoo! Had to stop and take a picture of the odometer. Seemed like a good occasion to write a follow-up report on the graduation thread.

In its first 1,000 miles, the Roadster has been to the Detroit Autorama, the Factory Five Open House, the London Cobra Show, numerous local cruise-ins and cars and coffees, a couple of car shows, a number of Great Lakes Cobra Club events, and cruises around the local area as often as I get the chance. Rubbed shoulders with an original 289 a couple weeks ago, and yesterday a very cool 1965 Morgan. Fun stuff. The Roadster has won a number of awards and gets lots of attention wherever it goes. I know not everyone is a red fan, but this candy red in the sun is incredible and draws constant positive comments. The kind of last minute black pinstripe turned out to be a cool touch that everyone also seems to like. Showing the car is something I really enjoy. People have lots of questions and interest. Factory Five is well known and for many this is their first chance to see one in person or for others to compare it to what they thought about Factory Five from the past.

But driving the car is an absolute blast and it’s made for driving. Everything works together perfectly. It’s easy to drive mild. Pretty much like a modern sports car. Push the pedal down and things get fast in a hurry. I treat it with respect, but have a good time too. Love the IRS setup. First time for me. After the initial bedding and a little time, the manual Wilwood brakes are fine. The pedal effort is higher than my previous power setups. But there’s no issue with the amount of braking. Very strong. The KRC power steering setup along with the Breeze Unisteer rack is perfect. The lighter billet flywheel and Centerforce dual friction clutch will chatter a little if you don’t keep the RPM’s up just a bit at launch. But after the initial break-in and just getting used to it, zero issues and works well.

My impressions of driving with the Coyote continue to be overwhelmingly positive, and I could not recommend it enough for other builders. There's nothing quite like the instant start and instant driveability of modern fuel injection. It's smooth with easy power. I've checked the mileage, and it's running in the 18-20 mpg range for spirited mostly street driving. Impressive. Keeping the engine cool appears to be a complete non-issue. Due to the location of the kit water temp sender, the instrument panel indicated temp isn't the actual engine temp. It's typically indicating in the 60 - 80 C range. The port shown in the instructions is low on the DS, and I suspect in the path of return coolant from the radiator. The temp sensor used by the PCM is actually cylinder head temp. I've monitored this sensor and it's typically in the upper 190's F. Right where it should be according to everything I've read. The AFCO Racing radiator, shrouded fan, and Mustang hose routing setup I'm using seems to be keeping everything at the right temps pretty easily. The hottest I've driven is in the low 90's outside air temp. So not a real hard test. But not an issue for the setup. The cooling fan does run nearly continuously. I've checked with Ford Racing and confirmed they have it programmed this way on purpose. They are being very conservative about the installations the engine might see. Probably not necessary in this case, but not something they recommended changing and I can live with it. The GAS-N SS pipes have turned only the very slightest straw color where they come out of the body. Barely noticeable. Not quickly dark like in previous SBF builds. The inside tips of the pipes are still almost clean. Very minimal soot and certainly nothing heavy or wet. The AFR and exhaust temps are obviously well controlled, as would be expected. I'm very satisfied with the noise level of the Coyote and GAS-N side pipes. It's loud enough when you get into it, but for cruising it's easy enough to carry on a conversation in the cockpit. But these are noisy cars no matter what. At highway cruising speed in 5th, the engine and exhaust is barely audible over wind noise, traffic noise, tires on the road, etc. Measures north of 100 dB on my iPhone app. I highly recommend hearing protection no matter what your setup.

I’m pleased to report zero mechanical issues. No leaks, drips, nothing. Couple of real minor tweaks. The steering wheel was just slightly off center (stuff like that bugs me) so adjusted the toe-in to get it centered and still maintain the proper toe-in setting. I had floor mat clips on the rear corners of the floor mats, so that worked OK. But the point where both sides step down into the footwells would unfold and not stay flat. So I added some self-tapping screws with captured washers back into the 2x2 tube where the mats step down. Problem solved. Really minor, but a nuisance so nice that’s fixed. I’m not particularly happy with the undercoating I put on the splash guards. I used an aerosol finish spray from Lizard Skin, intended to go over the regular water based Lizard Skin in exposed areas. It went on pretty thin and I can still hear stones and whatever clinking on the splash guards. So I’m going to brush or spray some thicker undercoat material on the splash guards. Another pretty minor thing, but a bit annoying.

At around 500 miles, I put the car up on stands and went over all the suspension bolts. Everything was fine. Checked all the obvious stuff under the hood. The radiator hose clamps needed to be snugged a bit, but everything else was OK. I checked all the fluids, and all was fine. The oil was exactly where it should be and looked as clean as the day it was poured in. There was maybe 1/4 teaspoon of oil in the JLT oil separator can. I had to adjust the Spectre intake just slightly to avoid touching the frame, but another very minor issue.

Up until a few weeks ago, I drove the Roadster with the Gen 2 Coyote stock Ford tune. It started and ran great, and as I’ve described I monitored it closely via the ODB2 port to make sure the temps were OK, not running lean, etc. But over time it became clear that performance below 2,000 RPM just wasn’t quite up to par. The Coyote loves to rev, and it’s real easy to drive it without ever going that low (typically higher!) but still could tell is just wasn’t too happy cruising in 5th below 2,000 RPM, or not always downshifting when in traffic, etc. I’ve never been opposed to a custom tune, even though some chose to misunderstand or misrepresent my position. I learned that Lund Racing had a good reputation doing tunes for these engines, so contacted them and explained what I was seeing. They said a custom tune would clean it up and maximize my performance, so I went for it. After several rounds of tunes and log files, I’m happy to report the engine runs great across the entire spectrum. It will idle along at 1,200 RPM in 5th all day if you want, or any other gear at low RPM’s if you like. Makes it easier and friendlier to drive in traffic especially. Throttle response is instant at all times and it pulls like crazy. I can’t say that I feel a lot more power, but for my street driving I’m not anywhere close to the limits, so wouldn't be able to confirm either way. A dyno run would tell more, and Lund has a location they support a couple hours away from me. But I'm not planning to pursue that right now. I purchased their nGAUGE tuner, and temporarily mounted it below my dash to keep an eye on things. It’s not easy to read in the sunlight or with sunglasses on. But it’s there for now. I’ll probably remove it sometime in the future. Looks like this right now, right after startup:

As an aside comment, I communicated with another forum member who's driving the Gen 1 Coyote. He never experienced the lower RPM "unhappiness" I described with his stock tune. Makes me wonder if the CMCV setup on the Gen 2 Coyote is somehow the difference. I can see in the log files where it's being commanded at the lower RPM's. Maybe that setup just isn't as tolerant of the non-stock intake and exhaust. Whatever was happening, the custom tune cleaned it up.

For grins, a few more pictures of cruising today on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Michigan:

August will be a busy month with a number of events plus the Woodward Dream Cruise. I’m ready.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-31-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great build!! I also enjoyed the very informational build thread. Thanks for taking the time to document everything!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paul, Thanks for the great update. Can't wait to get mine back to finalize some of these things you are talking about. One of these on my mind is the wheel wells. I am trying to find material like they have in new cars. Some have fabric liners and that is the way I want to go but am not sure of the material yet or how moldable it is. Went to GoodGuys this weekend and saw several cobras. None were red. But compared to all the old hotrods they really turn every body's head. Still trying to figure ride height as in my pictures the body just doesn't sit low enough and I was worried about ground clearance. Do you slow way down for speed bumps like all the hotrods or are you satisfied the clearance is there and how much on the front do your have? Going down to Jeff Millers to see all his workmanship in a few days, then our cars will come home then. Keep the updates coming, your a great help to everyone. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    man that's just a beautiful car. I will have to consider that cooor when I do the coyote swap and repaint in a few years.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Paul, Thanks for the great update. Can't wait to get mine back to finalize some of these things you are talking about. One of these on my mind is the wheel wells. I am trying to find material like they have in new cars. Some have fabric liners and that is the way I want to go but am not sure of the material yet or how moldable it is. Went to GoodGuys this weekend and saw several cobras. None were red. But compared to all the old hotrods they really turn every body's head. Still trying to figure ride height as in my pictures the body just doesn't sit low enough and I was worried about ground clearance. Do you slow way down for speed bumps like all the hotrods or are you satisfied the clearance is there and how much on the front do your have? Going down to Jeff Millers to see all his workmanship in a few days, then our cars will come home then. Keep the updates coming, your a great help to everyone. Jim
    I've run all my builds without anything additional in the wheel wells other than multiple coats of undercoat on the underside of the body and splash guards. Really works OK that way IMO. Some though use these wheel well liners: http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Fenderliners.html. I've seen them in person and they look pretty good. Might be something else to look at if you haven't seen already. I run the ride height a little under 4-inches in the front, and a little over 4-inches in the rear. I rarely see or have to drive over any speed bumps. Just not common around here. But would be careful if I did. But do have to watch certain driveways. But generally ground clearance isn't an issue.

Good luck getting yours back from paint and finished up. Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The plastic wheel well liners are great. I just don't want plastic. The ones I have seen on luxury cars are made of a layered material and I found a place local to you. Its called Conform. Here is the description on their site. ConForm II® is our*standard moldable substrate, made from a blend composed primarily of polyester and polypropylene fiber. *It has excellent elongation properties and can be formed to complex shapes. They won't sell it retail though. I guess this would be something Factory Five would have to look at and maybe add to the kit if they wanted to do something more with the wheel wells of all their kits. Looks like a very good product on our new car. I noticed at work the other day unloading new Mazdas that quite a few also had this material in their wells. Conform said their main customer was GM. Still might come up with something like this myself.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Thanks again everyone!
    Absolutely gorgeous.. congratulations