Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kozmo LS1

Post Thanks / Like

Kozmo LS1

Bought Stage 1 from individual on Feb 10 2017. Drove up to Piedmont OK and brought it back in UHaul.

Was set up for SBC/auto . Found LS1 crate motor so bought LS motor kit.

bareFrame.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. Just started my own stage 1 too with SBC. Will be following along!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Bakerboerne,

Where are you building it? Sounds like you might be in either Oklahoma or Texas.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Bakerboerne,

Where are you building it? Sounds like you might be in either Oklahoma or Texas.

Tim
    I live in Houston Texas... waiting on FF to put on another sale so I can order stage 2. The 1st stage came with Boyd tank, wildwood brakes, 8.8 - 355 rear end, chrome steering column,
    Foos wheels, split exhaust, vintage air, set up for SBC... Having a lot of fun with it so far...

Post Thanks / Like
    Made some progress ... Have brakes working well... also ran fuel lines and connections for the Boyd tank. Have the TKO600 with the hydraulic clutch attached to the ls1 and ready to install...
    Cut holes in firewall for ac lines and have firewall powder coated and attached to the frame. Will try to put engine and trans in this weekend.engine_trans.jpgfront_wheels.jpb.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of comments and references... First I have to wine a little... the D steering bars from ididit are not QC from factory. I like that they have a tight slip fit in the bearings and joints, however they are way out of tolarence from one end to the other. All 3 of my bars had 1 end that fit and the other that needed work. The down pipes for the LS1 from FF are still MIA...

OK on to the references... The trans, clutch, bell housing, flywheel I bought new from Silver Sport. The AC and alternator brackets, and compressor I got from Murphy at LSSimple.net.
    The wiring harness and PCM I ordered from PSI. Got some added sheet metal from Tim at Kootenaivalleycustoms.com. Fuel pressure reg/filter from Speedway along with some Russell AN-6 fittings and hoses. The name of the build thread came from my dog Kozmo.

Comments:
    Still have not ordered stage 2 ... looks like it will be a little difficult to go-cart with out the flat pipes or mufflers or grill to hold the rad. Will have a look when I get to that point.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, those DD columns are sheared not cut. You have to dress them with a grinder to slide in. I always hope that F5 will read these posts to rearrange the 33 stage 1 kit and the manual sequence so it's actually achievable to build stage 1 while you either wait for space or get the body painted.
    Nice to see your progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Put engine, trans in today... engineInstall.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    GM Power Is Always A Welcomed Sight For These Sore Eyes!

..Congratulations on your acquisition and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of you Chevy guys need to put Chevy grille on the nose and sprinkle some bow tie emblems on the body!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    One of you Chevy guys need to put Chevy grille on the nose and sprinkle some bow tie emblems on the body!

http://www.superiorglassworks.com/19...p/1934mpol.htm

http://www.superiorglassworks.com/Gr...r-p/34m12c.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't go that far, but I'm sorely tempted to put a '32 grill on there. Looking forward to seeing how that works. Then I can kid myself I have a deuce coupe
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Deal... You buy it and I will put it on mine. :-)

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered Stage 2 today... I must be out of my mind... Spending this much money on a car with lets see ... no power brakes, no power steering, standard transmission, and I got to put it together myself... as my wife would say "why did you think that was a good idea?" Anyway been working on AC, alt, starter should be getting the engine harness and the PCM today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting it together is far more fun and satisfying than walking into a showroom and buying a cookie cutter boremobile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerboerne View Post
    Ordered Stage 2 today... I must be out of my mind...
    haha, in a good way. We're all crazy together.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Made some progress... on wiring mounted pcm and gpt ac hoses crimped and on... put on wheels and set on go-jacks.
    IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress BB! Looking great!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Going together quickly - looks great!
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Stage 2 will be ready to ship next week. Almost finished with engine harness/PCM. Have to wait on trans tunnel to finish under dash wiring. Also since I changed from a SBC to an LS1 ... I have a surplus 27 spline 33.75 inch drive shaft along with SBC down pipes and a FF gas tank still in the box. When I get enough posts I will put them on the classified page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered Stage 2 today... I must be out of my mind... Spending this much money on a car with lets see ... no power brakes, no power steering, standard transmission, and I got to put it together myself... as my wife would say "why did you think that was a good idea?" Anyway been working on AC, alt, starter should be getting the engine harness and the PCM today.
    Was sitting at a light with my wife one night, a C7 pulled up beside us. She looked at me and said "oh ****." At that moment, the planets aligned, she was filled with perfect knowledge, she understood the meaning of life for me. Here is some motivation for you, when you look over at the guy and know in your heart you got him and that he doesn't know it. Doesn't get any better.I think it is about at the beginning of that third gear pull I realize all that extra stuff is just stuff.

Last edited by wrp; 06-16-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stage 2 will be here tomorrow !

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad exhaust pipes - flanges on the wrong end ! HOW MANY TIMES CAN THEY SCREW THIS UP. Did not manage to send the drive shaft... Really disappointing
    wrong_pipe2.jpgwrong_pipe1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with the exhaust pipe was supposedly fixed back in March of 2016 But they are still sending out bad exhaust pipes was a bunch of crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel ya... I have actually decided that when it comes time to do the exhaust I am going to go custom with an exhaust shop here in the DFW area. They did a great job on my 89 Vettes exhaust and cutouts so I am going to go with them then cancel the exhaust from stage 2. In the mean time WRP has said that when it comes time to go-cart and first start of the motor in the frame he will bring over his zoomie headers and let me use them.

When I got the Stage 1 delivered I talked to Courtnie and she had them send the Grill with my stage 1. But I was disappointed when no steering wheel and exhaust was sent with stage 1. Makes it real hard to get completely ready for stage 2 when there are stage 1 parts sent with stage 2.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Makes it real hard to get completely ready for stage 2 when there are stage 1 parts sent with stage 2.
    And hilariously, a little vice versa I got some body edge rubber seals or something that made me smile. I'd much prefer that stage 1 was more $$ (stage 2 less) but gave you a go-kart.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the stage 1 stage 2 idea is not good in the long run. You end up spending twice as much on shipping (Yes they charge the same amount to ship stage 2 as they do for stage 1). And it slows down the build. Also I bet that there are more unfinished stage 1 projects out there then unfinished complete package projects. Without the exhaust, trans-tunnel, grill and steering wheel ... almost not worth trying to go-kart. My advise to anyone thinking about doing a build... save your money until you have enough to get a complete package... there is only 8 boxes in stage 2 and your body. "Project Time" is the most valuable resource don't waste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on grill assembly, drive shaft, exhaust, engine harness and sending units...kit18.JPGkit19.JPGkit20.JPGkit21.JPGkit22.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the stage 1 stage 2 idea is not good in the long run. You end up spending twice as much on shipping (Yes they charge the same amount to ship stage 2 as they do for stage 1). And it slows down the build. Also I bet that there are more unfinished stage 1 projects out there then unfinished complete package projects. Without the exhaust, trans-tunnel, grill and steering wheel ... almost not worth trying to go-kart. My advise to anyone thinking about doing a build... save your money until you have enough to get a complete package... there is only 8 boxes in stage 2 and your body. "Project Time" is the most valuable resource don't waste.
    I wonder if FF has changed things up slightly? My stage 1 came with a grill, radiator, and hoses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting hvacman- just radiator and hoses with 997
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear exhaust has been somewhat interesting. FF changed the design of exhaust between when the Stage 1 kit was bought and when I bought Stage 2. Since the mufflers and flat pipes come with Stage 2, the rear exhaust kit that I have would not fit up to the mufflers. I can't blame FF for not switching out the rear kit since I bought the Stage 1 from another individual (they did offer to give a discount on another rear exhaust kit). Anyway with help, and pipes from Darth Tedious I think I got it worked out. He also helped me with the overflow can mount on Driver's side of rad. Nice having a friendly 33 build going on about 2 miles away. The ball connections in the new design looks like they will be less likely to leak, then the slip joints on the old design.

Post Thanks / Like
    exhaust3.JPGFinished out exhaust exhaust1.JPGexhaust1.JPG Working on AC lines and wiring. Did first fit for body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do first start this weekend during the storm...fireUP.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Hope y'all weather the storm ok.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Working through the bad weather. Actually it has been a little cooler in the garage. Cranked the engine however the fuel pump in the Boyd tank went south after 2 seconds. So sent it to factory for repair. Gave me time to fit the trans tunnel and finish the AC lines...transTunnel.jpg

acLines.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel pump in my Boyd's tank "failed" on me the first time my wife and I went to dinner in the 33. Would not restart and had to be towed home. After removing the fuel pump from the tank (at least you can do that on the Boyd's tank!), I took it down to let Dan Boyd have a look at it (I only live about 30 miles from Boyd's.) Mind you, I bought that tank FOUR years ago, but Dan was happy to give me a brand new fuel pump at no charge. FABULOUS customer service. He also gave me the old one to keep - which was suddenly working again. I set the old pump on my workbench and one of the crimp connections FELL OFF. It was a very bad crimp only being held on by the shrink tube end! Turns out BOTH connections were improperly crimped. You might check that on yours. Recrimping some connections is a lot easier than sending a pump back to Ocala!

ERIC
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Boyd told me to contact Aeromotive tech support. They suggested I send it to them... The tank is two years old so no warranty. I found a FedEx place open... they just had a little water damage... and sent it up to Lenexa Kansas already. Hopefully get it back next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops. Yes. DAVE not DAN. Thanks. But in the meantime, I bet the crimp on ends were the problem...
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    The pump has a dead short in it... hopefully Aeromotive will see the thing was never run before it kissed the pooch. Anyway got tired of waiting on them ... went over to Ford dealer and bought Mustang elect fuel pump... fit in Boyd tank... Engine fired right up. ... TIME for a beer.
    Will post video later when it finally loads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to post video...

C:/bkb/IMG_1200.MOV

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast