FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-link rear coil spring retainer

Post Thanks / Like

4-link rear coil spring retainer

I'm using a 4-link 1993 Mustang rear end.

After 2500 miles on her, I find I need to adjust the ride height about every 800 miles or so. This is because the rear coil springs have a tendency to move and rotate out of place. I'd like to know how those of you with a 4-link setup have solved this problem.

I know there is a coil spring retainer available for 4x4's and jeeps. Seems like this concept would work well with Mustang parts as well.

Please share photos of your 4-link rear coil fastener solution.

Don't tell me to upgrade the rear-end. I just want to hear from 4-link guys please.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    No need to up grade the rear end, just buy coil over shocks. Massive ride improvement too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jakes terms, I had the same problem on mine and also had an issue with a full tank of gas and my wife riding with me the rear tires would hit, so I did like Rich suggested and went to rear coil overs and both problem's solved.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack this thread but I have a similar issue with my four link and I am looking for a simple and cost friendly type of coil over conversion, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have coilovers NOW, but drilled a hole in the coil spring holder where the spring ended and put a 1/2" bolt and lock nut in there. Maintained ride height, but still had issues with a load. Put VPM coilovers on and never looked back!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester888 View Post
    Don't tell me to upgrade the rear-end. .
    Also, I'm not looking to upgrade to coil-over. I'm looking for someone on this forum who has installed a coil spring retainer on their 4-link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    I have coilovers NOW, but drilled a hole in the coil spring holder where the spring ended and put a 1/2" bolt and lock nut in there. Maintained ride height, but still had issues with a load. Put VPM coilovers on and never looked back!
    Do you have photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this on the other forum in this thread a few years ago.

I kept the springs from winding up the spring tower by threading a washer up the spring and holding it in place with a small hose clamp. After the springs are adjusted to the correct height move the washer up the spring so it contacts the bottom edge of the spiral spring mount. Hold it in place with the hose clamp. I think I had to grind a flat spot on one side of the washer to get it to fit. I recall other guys used electrical ground rod clamps on the springs to accomplish the same thing. This worked on mine for 20k miles until I upgraded to Koni coilovers. I would highly recommend upgrading to coilovers by the way. It makes adjusting the ride height much easier and gives a better ride.spring clamp.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very simple and good idea. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did. I bought a couple 1/2 cable clamps and four two inch long 3/8" bolts. I cut the points off the cable clamps to allow them to clamp the spring without hitting the spring mount. I put the modified clamp up against the spring and marked the spring mount where the two holes for the clamp needed to be. I removed the spring mounts from the car, drilled the holes and passed the bolts through from the inside and welded them in place. A piece of 1/4 flat stock was placed over the bolts to back the spring and allow the clamp to grip it.

I had no idea about the spring retainer for jeeps. I think something could be rigged to attach to the lower control arms.

Here's a picture of my setup taken during the build.

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester888 View Post
    Do you have photos?
    I wish I had some to show! I simply marked where the top of the spring ended. Drilled a hole for a grade 8- 1/2" bolt. I threaded a standard nut tight to the head so it would stick out farther, stuck it in the hole and put a lock nut on the inside and cracked on it. It kept the spring from screwing up and dropping the car, but ride still sucked. Coilovers to the rescue!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!