BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Video shots -Wind Noise elimination

Post Thanks / Like

Video shots -Wind Noise elimination

I have taken a few videos with my Canon Power Shot. It has hi res vid and stereo sound. Normally the video is good. I am trying to get a vid from inside the car, with the camera mounted in front of the passenger roll bar. I don't have the windshield installed as yet.

It appears as the mike is on top of the camera body next to the on/off and function button. I have had no luck getting a good video AND good sound. My pipes are kinda quiet and would like to hear them, this last go I put a piece of tape over the mike.

good video but no sound or only wind noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcwho; 04-25-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add pic
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try taping a small piece of open cell foam over the mic holes, that might let enough "pipe noise" in for your vid's.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a Mac computer you can record your audio on a separate device that is protected from the wind and sync it in the iMovie program.

Here is the first tutorial I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeuy6MrbHY

I used this method on this video: https://youtu.be/nQDuYdjTCg8 and it looks pretty well synced.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an interesting idea, I have looked at the microphone wind foam things and I DO have an Olympus stereo digital audio that I got for meetings. The audio is pretty good quality as well.

I wonder if there is a tool for Windows 10 that I can use to merge. I'll check if that app "screenflow" is available for WIN 10.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fairly new Windows 10 Machine that came with VIDEOPAD, I just tried it and I can edit video and audio from different sources as explained in Lahrs37 links above. This way I can get good sound and audio.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    I have a fairly new Windows 10 Machine that came with VIDEOPAD, I just tried it and I can edit video and audio from different sources as explained in Lahrs37 links above. This way I can get good sound and audio.
    Glad I could be helpful. Hopefully you will share your video. You can never have/hear enough of a good thing!
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I read where another racer had excellent results putting a RYCOTE Micro Windjammer filter on his video camera. I've ordered a pack of them on eBay, but it's taking a while because they are coming from the UK.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baghdad Bob -- I'm late to this discussion, but thought I'd post if you still were searching for options. I've heard a similar complaint from FFRers who use GoPros. Several of this guys run an external mic from the GoPro down to the inside-driverside floor, right by the door. That area receives little wind noise. The mic picks up the pipes easily. Check your camera to see if an external mic can be plugged in. My Canon does.

I agree with lahrs37 - hopefully you will share how it turns out.
    Craig F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfehrenb View Post
    Baghdad Bob -- I'm late to this discussion, but thought I'd post if you still were searching for options. I've heard a similar complaint from FFRers who use GoPros. Several of this guys run an external mic from the GoPro down to the inside-driverside floor, right by the door. That area receives little wind noise. The mic picks up the pipes easily. Check your camera to see if an external mic can be plugged in. My Canon does.

I agree with lahrs37 - hopefully you will share how it turns out.
    Craig F
    I actually do have a Canon as well, and was considering a gopro, but haven't gotten one as yet. If I can use a remote mike with the canon, that may be a good solution. mine is a Power shot ELPH and has an AV out and an hdmi, don't see a mike input tho.

Bob
    Last edited by mcwho; 09-03-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob - would this work for you. It's something to consider.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-DSLR-5.../dp/B008BMK3HE

CraigF