Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weatherpack Crimper

Post Thanks / Like

Weatherpack Crimper

Not all Weather Pack crimper tools are created equal. You can find them online for anywhere between $20 and $140. I bought the tool on the right (red handle) for $37. Looked decent and I knew I was only going to make a couple dozen crimps so the $140 pro model was not required, right?

I bought a bunch of extra terminals so I could practice, watched a couple of u-tube instructional videos... then proceeded to ruin about 15 pins before I gave up.

I ordered the tool on the left (blue handle) from Mike at Replica Parts (sponsored vendor). He charges $120 and when you return it he credits you $100 back. $20 rental and it works perfectly. Or keep it for $120 if you see more weatherpacking in your future.

The blue handle tool has a block attached to the lower jaw that secures and aligns the terminal. Perfect crimp, first time, every time. The only way to go!

weatherpack_zpsboincimv.jpg

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a really cheap crimper. Out of the dozens I have done, maybe three screwed up, my fault, was in a hurry used the wrong jaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Not all Weather Pack crimper tools are created equal. You can find them online for anywhere between $20 and $140. I bought the tool on the right (red handle) for $37. Looked decent and I knew I was only going to make a couple dozen crimps so the $140 pro model was not required, right?

I bought a bunch of extra terminals so I could practice, watched a couple of u-tube instructional videos... then proceeded to ruin about 15 pins before I gave up.

I ordered the tool on the left (blue handle) from Mike at Replica Parts (sponsored vendor). He charges $120 and when you return it he credits you $100 back. $20 rental and it works perfectly. Or keep it for $120 if you see more weatherpacking in your future.

The blue handle tool has a block attached to the lower jaw that secures and aligns the terminal. Perfect crimp, first time, every time. The only way to go!

weatherpack_zpsboincimv.jpg

-Steve
    Steve,

I also have the blue - handled one. It works fantastic every time.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I have a really cheap crimper. Out of the dozens I have done, maybe three screwed up, my fault, was in a hurry used the wrong jaw.
    Ha, I'll be the first to admit to "operator error" but I tried everything with that particular tool. I'm sure that there are some lower priced tools that will do the job. I have more Harbor Freight than Snap-on in my shop.

My only reason for posting the public service announcement is for those who are not experienced. Since this is not a tool you use around the house, either go for the rental or at least look for a less expensive tool that has an alignment aid. Or, just be better than me. That might be the answer.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up an S&G tool with interchangeable heads from Summit. So far it has worked well on a variety of terminations. I never seem to find one tool that I'm happy with for all the terminals. It has blue handles also. Maybe its the handle color that makes the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Tool Aid crimper with interchangeable jaws https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I find I get best results by bending the "keeper" tabs of the pin out from the body so that they're at at least a 60-75 degree angle; that keeps the crimper jaws from crushing the tabs. Also, note that the jaws are directional; keep the wide part of the jaw towards the base of the pin or you'll ruin the pin.

And like Rich, I've ruined a handful of pins using the wrong size jaw.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    The tube type, weather pack pin remover tools, can vary in quality as well.
    I bought one in particular, because it had multiple sizes of tubes to be able to use on the different connectors. That seemed like a nice feature over the ones that would only do one size pin. It wasn't expensive, and worked great the first few times I needed it. There needs to be firm pressure applied to release the pin from the connector. The last time I used it, most of the tube broke off, and the remainder of it inserted itself into the hand holding the connector..

This is the one that broke on me.

This is the type I would buy now..