Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor car vs complete kit, anybody do both?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Donor car vs complete kit, anybody do both?

Ok, is there anybody on the forums that has built both a donor and a complete roadster? I am hearing from "car guys" that a donor car would be an easier build. In my rookie mind, new in a box would be easier. So here's the question. Money aside, which build will go faster (not mph)? Which will come with less frustration? I worry about my new roadster having the same problems a 90's mustang would have etc. so how about it? BTW, I'm not a well versed mechanic, though I'm capable and a quick learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done both. Money aside the complete kit will assemble quicker and with less frustration.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Only done a complete kit but as a rookie builder with minimal knowledge at the time I started my build I am so glad I did not have to deal with reconditioning used parts and determining what was ok to use and what was not. Not sure where your "car guys" are coming from but I can't imagine how anyone thinks using all new parts would actually be harder.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done three builds. But none were donor builds so I don't meet your basic qualification. But just a few comments anyway if that's OK. The Factory Five Roadster concept was developed 20+ years ago around using a Fox body Mustang as a donor. Everything including the engine, drivetrain, suspension components, brakes, wiring harness, even the gauges were re-purposed for the replica build. Over the years, several things have happened.

First, the Fox body Mustangs are no longer widely available. Most that remain have either been restored or are old and in usually poor condition. Neither making a good candidate. Newer Mustangs, the SN-95 1994 - 2004, and the S197 starting in 2005, can be used as donors. But the usable parts are less and sometimes take even more modification. Certainly doable. But do your homework.

Second, as suitable donors became less and less, Factory Five has been gradually making alternate parts available and continuously upgrading and improving the end result. Their 2-piece spindle is a prime example. It's a big increase in quality (front end geometry, drivability) over the adapted McPherson strut Mustang spindles. Other examples include front and rear suspension components, wiring harness, gauges, 4-wheel disk brake options, steering options, engine options, Wilwood pedal box, new and modern IRS, just to name some.

The end result is newer builds offer dramatic improvements over the original concept. At the same time the cost is considerably more as well. No getting around that. If you can find a suitable donor, I believe it's possible for it to be cheaper. But what I've seen repeatedly is guys start down the donor path, but then end up using not nearly as many donor parts as they hoped either due to condition or deciding to take advantage of some of the newer options. Based on what I've seen, I don't believe a donor build is any easier. Agree with Jeff on that one.

Couple final thoughts. Many (even Factory Five to an extent) treat the base kit as a donor build kit, and the complete kit as a non-donor build kit. It's absolutely possible to do a non-donor build from a base kit. Two of my three builds have been that way. Basically you choose your own added parts vs. what comes in the complete kit or from a donor. You describe yourself as not a well-versed mechanic, so maybe that's not for you. But just wanted to add that clarification. You may also want to consider the Factory Five build school. Spend a weekend with some other like-minded prospective builders putting one together. Will give you a great perspective of what it's like and help you to decide. Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-29-2017 at 07:55 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build was a basic kit and I had initially planned on a donor. Almost done and there are only three used/refurbished major parts on it. It's much more expensive if you go that route, but you can personalize and choose which parts (brakes, steering, wiring etc.) you want to augment your basic kit. If I had to do it over, probably would have gone with the complete kit.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mr. B.D.

> I am in the process of building a Complete Kit and it has been quite nice to deal with all new parts.
    > While I have had a few delays, mostly personal obligations & other issues, it is coming together rather nicely.
    > There is also a lower chance of needing a tetanus shot since you won't be required to dismantle a donor car.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

PS: Trust me on the tetanus shot!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    While I have not built a FF car yet I have built a car from a body shell using a donor. All new parts in a box would have been so much easier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who took the time to answer. I'm heavily leaning toward the complete kit at this point. Especially after searching for suitable donor cars, it seems that the remaining, eligible mustangs are rather expensive these days. A complete kit starts to make more sense. I want a simple cobra. Clean, simple and fast. Mostly though, I want a finished car, not a project that never ends.
    Also, my wife and I will definitely be doing the build school. What a great tool that is.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty serious shade tree mechanic in the middle of my base kit build. No donor being used. If I had to do it again, complete kit hands down. I spend more time on the internet trying to figure out what I need than I do spinning wrenches. Trust me, I love the journey, but the complete kit makes a lot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B.D.Cobra View Post
    Mostly though, I want a finished car, not a project that never ends.
    Just so that you will not be caught off guard.........

These cars are never truly finished. There will always be something that catches your eye and will either need to be upgraded, improved, modified, fixed or redone. It's part of the pride of ownership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly though, I want a finished car, not a project that never ends.
    If you mainly just want a finished car maybe you would consider buying one already built. I'm a believer you can buy what you want for about 75% of what it would cost to build it. I know I sure could have.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    If you mainly just want a finished car maybe you would consider buying one already built. I'm a believer you can buy what you want for about 75% of what it would cost to build it. I know I sure could have.
    Ha, who are you kidding? You'll never could have found what you wanted. Every detail in that car is you. That's why YOU built it.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks to me like you can purchase all of the extra pieces you get in the complete kit on the factory five website. Couldn't you just buy the base kit and then purchase everything else from the website?

I was thinking the benefits of this route would be:

1) Spread the cost out over time.

2) Don't have leftover parts if you stray from a "by the book" approach. For example, I don't have to sell stock brakes or gauges if I want to use speedhut gauges and Levy brakes.

3) I don't know if this is true or not, and this might vary by state, but pay less taxes when you go to title and register your car.
    Last edited by Chadillac; 04-30-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all who took the time to answer. I'm heavily leaning toward the complete kit at this point. Especially after searching for suitable donor cars, it seems that the remaining, eligible mustangs are rather expensive these days. A complete kit starts to make more sense. I want a simple cobra. Clean, simple and fast. Mostly though, I want a finished car, not a project that never ends.
    Also, my wife and I will definitely be doing the build school. What a great tool that is.

Thanks.
    The Big Plus is you end up with a brand new car in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
    It looks to me like you can purchase all of the extra pieces you get in the complete kit on the factory five website. Couldn't you just buy the base kit and then purchase everything else from the website?

I was thinking the benefits of this route would be:

1) Spread the cost out over time.

2) Don't have leftover parts if you stray from a "by the book" approach. For example, I don't have to sell stock brakes or gauges if I want to use speedhut gauges and Levy brakes.

3) I don't know if this is true or not, and this might vary by state, but pay less taxes when you go to title and register your car.
    1. True.

2. Speedhut gauges are one of the available options for the complete kit. But your point is valid. You can buy exactly what you want and reduce the number of leftover parts.

3. Most states (Michigan where I live being one of them) require you to report purchases where sales tax wasn't collected. So in theory it's a wash. Won't say any more than that.

I've seen where several have done the math with what you're describing. If you stay with Factory Five catalog parts, likely it's going to more expensive than having them all included with the complete kit. Plus the individual shipping costs from Factory Five will almost for sure be higher than having everything shipped with the complete kit.

The strategy to do a non-donor build from a base kit makes more sense IMO if you shop around for the added parts, looking for the best deals, sometimes buying parts that aren't available from Factory Five, sometimes even buying other builder's leftover parts.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-30-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a ton of time sandblasting and repainting the donor parts on my first build. I wanted the car to look brand new. That is just me. I lost more money in time with the donor than the cost of the complete kit. Dont get me wrong, redoing the old parts was fun, and part of the process, just time consuming depending on level of restoration. If you are happy spraying down with brakleen and wiping with a rag, donor works out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Option #3 - buy a project started by someone else.

Upside is cost savings. I bought an 818S rolling chassis with all the FFR upgrades and an amazing built motor for a 1/3 the price of the receipts.

Downside is when someone ask me if I built it, I have to start by explaining that someone else started it.

I'm still making it my own. I don't think you can just pick up from where the previous owner left off. I had to un**** much of the PO's work. The way I look at it, I didn't buy a started project - I bought a bunch of great parts for 1/3 the cost. It's almost like the PO's work was the donor car that I disassembled, then reassembled to be my own.

Of course, you'd have to wait for the right project to pop up. See that Coupe that got listed yesterday? I keep an eye on started projects and some look great, others I wouldn't want any part of.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done both and the complete kit is a lot easier and faster with a lot less stress. First roadster I did in 97 I did as a donor and it was a lot of work especially dismantling the car to get the wiring harness out. Also just removing everything, cleaning, paint, etc. takes time and effort. If you have a lot of time and a reasonably priced good condition donor, maybe it makes sense. Otherwise I'd go with the complete kit. Funny story now, not so at the time: when I was disassembling the donor I could not loosen the bolts holding the upper control arms on the rear end. Decided to cut them off with the hot wrench (cutting torch). went quick and as I'm laying on the creeper I notice more smoke than usual. The interior sound proofing had caught fire and was consuming the entire interior. Fire extinguisher wasn't enough. No wheels on car. Imeediately hooked onto car with my F350 and dragged it out of the garage and used the garden hose to quell the flames. Unbelievably acrid smoke for the plastics and boy do they burn!