Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiper posts too short

Post Thanks / Like

Wiper posts too short

Anybody having any trouble with the wiper posts being too short. Fully assembled not in the body there is only one thread showing. This is leaving no space for the body thickness for installation. I tried to reduce the length of the spacer under the body but that only leads to the gearbox making contact with the underside of the fiberglass and changing the pitch of the post. It seems like the post is too short for the intended job. I might have to go to finish line and see if their posts are longer.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. First I have heard of this. the wiper gearbox does come close to the body but myself and many other have had them fit with no issues. Unless FFR changed something, you need to try again. Can you measure the height of them?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a little trouble with this on #8674. Had to play around a little to get enough threads so that the nut went flush with the top of the post. But it wasn't like what you're describing. First (sorry have to ask) you are putting them on the right direction? The tube and cable go on the front or low side.

I replace the supplied spacers with something more rigid. Gives a more solid mount plus you can exactly control the height and angle. I use square aluminum tubing. Round works. So does something like PVC pipe. Use the chrome bezel and gasket on the body to confirm the proper angle and length of the spacer. Not unusual for them to be different side-to-side.

To get #8674 just the way I wanted, I did have to bevel the edge of the wheel box some where it contacted the body. You can remove some material there and not affect the wheel box. Allowed the wheel boxes just enough additional height for the nut to be fully engaged. Also check how thick your body is in that area. Maybe yours is thicker than normal. It's a hand layup so variation is possible.

I've used the ********** boxes before. I'd be willing to bet they aren't any different. But I don't have one in front of my to compare, so that's only a somewhat educated guess.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-30-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    From base of gear box to last thread is 1 11/16 inch. The body is pretty thick in this area. Still want to put Bedliner on the underside but will have to avoid this area. Edwardb has a good idea about beveling the edge a little bit. The Finish Line parts from the pics on the website " look " longer but pricey. I'll keep at it till it gets done. Thanks guys.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.