BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member, just saying "Hi Fellas"

Chairman Cuomos Peoples Republik of Central New Yorkistan
    Post Thanks / Like

New Member, just saying "Hi Fellas"

H fellas. I am in Central NY about 1 hr from the NYS Fairgrounds where the Syracuse Nationals are held every summer, have been a big fan of FFR for 10-15 years now.

I'm not new to muscle and sports cars but new to FFR kit cars. I have restored/built 4 Pontiac Muscle cars, a 1970 Formula Firebird, a 1974 455 Super Duty Formula and two 1970 GTOs. Those were when I was a young man in the 70s and 80s. I have recently in the last 5 yrs or so completed a total rotisserie restoration of a 1960 Austin Healey and a partial restoration of a 1987 Porsche. Currently finishing up a Hot Rod Porsche, 1991 944S2 with a 400+ HP SBC under the hood . . . giving it the old school race car treatment . . minimal interior, racing seats, fuel cell, roll cage, fire suppression etc . . .

My next project and a long time dream of mine: Gen 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe:

1: Complete Kit, will wait for (hopefully) Summer Sale before ordering. Have not decide on the race chassis yet, not planning on tracking the car . . thoughts?
    2: BluePrint Engines 347, single 4V carb or 4 x Weber 2V for a more period correct under the hood?? I have ~some~ experience tuning Webers but a long time ago. Thoughts?
    3: Tremec TKO 600 . . I understand some mods are necessary to the chassis?
    4: IRS
    5: Will FFR powdercoat the chassis in white if I ask nice?

I am completely new to Ford so I'm gonna have a lot of questions . . so go easy on me.

Nice place you got here . . .
    Last edited by Doug Logan; 01-13-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fold
    No need to wait for summer...New Years deals at FFR going on right now

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Doug. Sounds like you wouldn't have any trouble knocking out a Coupe. Finally finishing mine up. Build thread link in my signature line below FWIW. I can respond to three of your questions:

1. If you're not going to track the car, I personally see no reason to get the race chassis. The standard street chassis is extremely robust and stiff. Very impressive. I seem to recall they said it was 14 time stiffer than the previous 4-inch tube style chassis? Something like that. The main issue, IMO, is that the Coupe is already a bit of a challenge for some (me included a little) to get in and out of. With the added bars across the door opening of the race chassis, puts it in the category of climbing in/out of the window like NASCAR. The doors are still functional, but there's a bar across when you open them. Not sure why you would want to do that to yourself, let alone any prospective riders you invite along.

3. The Coupe chassis has a bunch of room for the transmission. I put a T-56 in mine, which is bigger than the TKO600, and it fit with no frame modifications. The TKO600 should fit easily. The only caveat might be where you end up with the shifter. That will depend on your engine, your preference (e.g. midshift or not), etc. It's possible a cross brace in the tunnel might interfere with your desired shifter location. If so, an easy fix. I didn't have to touch a thing for my T-56.

4. I highly recommend the IRS version. I've had solid axle and IRS Roadsters. The ride with the IRS is noticeably better. Supposed to be the best performance setup as well, although to be honest I don't push mine hard enough for that to be a big issue. I'm 99.9% street driving. But the IRS feels great. Adds value and resale to the car as well, although most don't want to talk about that. Especially at this early stage.

Good luck and again welcome.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-14-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.