Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster Build Plan and Expanded Introduction

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Build Plan and Expanded Introduction

I’m ready to pull the trigger, but have changed gears in the years that I’ve been planning this build. Originally, I had planned for a Coupe build, with so much enthusiasm that my gmail e-mail address references that build. That all changed when a friend bought a Porsche Boxster S, and took me for a spin. Roofs are overrated! My Coupe build became a Roadster build that day.

My goal is a Roadster build that will be used primarily for cruising, occasional auto crossing and track days – but only for fun, and hopefully some car shows – but again, mostly for the social experience rather than going for trophies (although I wouldn’t turn them down). Oh, and if either of my daughters get named homecoming queen or anything of the sort – definitely parade use (can the body support someone sitting on the deck between the seats?).

Here is what I have planned for the build:
    A complete kit Roadster with IRS, power steering, leather seats, Halibrand replicas, a passenger roll bar to meet my wife’s request, and a few other things. I’m in Michigan, so it will also require wipers, windshield washers(?!?), and over-riders (and probably the bumpers – does anyone know if just the over-riders meet Michigan’s bumper requirement?). I'm investigating adding hydroboost power brakes, since I'll already have the power steering pump - if I can figure out how to do it.

For the engine, I'm an engine guy, so it has to be absolutely beautiful. No engine beauty covers here, the engine itself will have to be a work of art. I have a Dart block based 363 build planned. Holbrook will be building my short block, and maybe bolting on the heads – since I’m getting them from them anyway. In addition to many other components, I’ve already ordered a Jim Inglese 48 IDA system. It might already be at my house, but I’m on a business trip right now – so I haven’t opened the box and heard the angels sing their hallelujahs yet. I really can't wait to see those velocity stacks! My garage already has many, many boxes containing powertrain parts. I’ll be dropping my engine block off at Holbrook after I get home from my trip.

The transmission will be a Tremec TKO – the Ford M-7000-R58C version of it. I’m looking at the Summit Windsor transmission combo that includes most of the trans related content. However, I’m leaning towards a hydraulic clutch – and haven’t researched if there’s anything non-compatible with that plan in the Summit kit.

Body: Red with White racing stripes. I do plan on gumballs on the hood and decklid, but not on the sides, with the number 5 in the gumball. Not because it’s a Factory Five, but due to all my homebuilt guitars, amps, and effects pedals having my 'Mach5' logo on them - sort of my brand for my builds, so I want to use it on the car as well. Hence my user name, although there is more to that story (but we’ll save that for another day). I plan on powder coating the aluminum panels, but have abandoned the plan to powder coat the chassis red. I am going to order the chassis powder coated from FF (any color you want, as long as it’s black). Red, white, and chrome, with a black interior.

I do not plan on doing the paint and bodywork myself. If anyone has recommendations for an experienced shop in or around SE MI, I’m all ears. But that is probably still a ways off time-wise?

I’ve put together a build spreadsheet, with costs and part numbers of everything I can think of that I need. However, I have yet to consider the plan completely final. Hydroboost and hydraulic clutch are the main open questions. I’m also torn between a glove box vs. a heater/defroster. I’m thinking of doing the center dash support, fabricating my own “glove box” in that space, and including the heater in the build.

I missed the Winter Sale, and am just waiting for whatever sale comes next from Factory Five. So, I’m moving forward with accumulating powertrain components, the engine build, and prepping the garage (tools, chassis dolly, etc.) in the meantime. My family is planning for a 2 to 3 year project, although I hope to get all but the paint done much sooner than that. Admittedly, I am finding it difficult to have the patience to wait for the next FF sale.

I’ve lurked for years, and now am ready to jump without a net. Well, not really without a net. My plan and this website are my net. This site is a great resource, and as I go through this process I know help is only a post away. You guys rock!

Any cautions or recommendations regarding my build plan would be welcome. I look forward to ordering my kit, and to sharing the process and interacting on the forum.

--Curt
    Last edited by mach'er; 04-29-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It look like you have most of it covered. I would check with Mike Forte for your drivetrain between the engine and differential. He is competitive in price and has an excellent hydraulic clutch setup. I did a lower center dash to house some accessories. A glovebox would easily fit there, though you would need to fabricate the box and door. Wait for the next $ale,you will be $ ahead.
    Good luck with your build and remember we always be here with advice on how to $pend your money.
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Lake Orion. Probably somewhere near you in SE Michigan. I've done three Roadster builds and happy to help and answer questions if I can. Specific answers to your questions: Windshield washers are technically required in Michigan, along with wipers. All three of my builds have had wipers but no washers. I've had the safety inspection signed off all three times with no issues. The officers I've had doing inspections (Oakland County Sheriff) were pretty down to earth. Same for the bumpers. I've had both quick jacks and overriders. Both were signed off. Absence of bumpers of some kind would likely be a red flag. But if something is there, seems to be OK. Yes you can add hydroboost. Had it on Mk4 #7750. But it does take a modification to the Wilwood pedal box and removes the front/back balancing capability of the Wilwood twin master cylinder setup. An external hydraulic clutch is no issue with the parts you've indicated. There are a couple choices, but the one I've used from Mike Forte is probably the most common. I'm not familiar with the Ford branded TKO600. Looks like the same thing as a regular TCET4617, but I don't know that for sure. You have two choices with the TKO600. Final drive of 0.82 or 0.64. You'll want to look at that closely and how it matches with your selected differential ratio. I've used two different painters here in SE Michigan. One in Howell and another in Taylor. Both know these cars well. I can provide more details when the time comes. There are others, but not that I've personally used.

Hope that helps get you started. I have a lot of pictures and details in the build threads linked below in my sig line. I have #8674 here in my garage. Just completed and legal a few days ago. You're welcome to stop up and look and talk shop any time. Check out the Great Lakes Cobra Club if you haven't already. Good group and lots of Factory Five enthusiasts who are also happy to help and support. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great build plan. Welcome to the forum and look forward to following your progress.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Sounds like your plan is coming together. Get yourself down to Columbus, Ohio in a few weeks for the London gathering...lots of cars to be seen, ideas to be had, questions to be answered and great folks to meet!

https://www.londoncobrashow.com/

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped reading at Inglese 48 IDA. That's enough for me. Sound like you have a great plan. Welcome and show us dem stacks!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback and welcomes. It is awesome to finally be kicking off this project!

Doug and edwardb: I hadn't yet contacted Forte's, but I will prior to purchasing the trans stuff. Direct phone call would probably work best, but I think I'll shoot them an e-mail today. I think they could help with sourcing the transmission system, including the hydraulic clutch, and maybe the hydroboost system as well.

edwardb: I look forward to the chance to meet another builder. I'll look into the Great Lakes Cobra Club. I wasn't sure if they were too keen on replicas, but your comment makes it seem so. Also, were your Oakland County Sheriff inspectors people that you happened to know, or were they just that accommodating? I've followed your 20th Anniversary build thread, and you really do excellent work - and I've loved the details you've contributed in your thread. I'm down outside of Monroe, and work up in Dearborn. Lake Orion is more than a hop, skip, and a jump, but I would really like to come see your car (and bring my family, if that'd be okay - see the next paragraph). Also, since you're sorta local, who'd you use for powder coating?

Jeff: Unfortunately, my next work trip is going to interfere with that London meet. I was really disappointed when my trip was scheduled. I had planned to take my wife and kids, and hopefully get them as excited about the project as I am. My wife has been super supportive, but I wouldn't say she's excited. I'm going to have to find something else as a summer trip where there will be FF cars involved. Somewhere in August, maybe?

Straversi: I know, right? I called Jim ~10 days ago, because my build plan changed from a 347 to a 363 after talking with Holbrook, and I was concerned that his set-up work may be impacted by the displacement change. He is a great guy, and we've had few nice conversations. Long story short, my system should be shipped by now, and I can't wait to get home and open that box. I'm not joking when I say I'm going to hear angels singing and imagine a glow emanating as I open it. Whooo Hooo!!!

Anyway, thanks again for feedback. I'll try not to post repeatedly, while not contributing anything useful.

--Curt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and welcomes. It is awesome to finally be kicking off this project!

Doug and edwardb: I hadn't yet contacted Forte's, but I will prior to purchasing the trans stuff. Direct phone call would probably work best, but I think I'll shoot them an e-mail today. I think they could help with sourcing the transmission system, including the hydraulic clutch, and maybe the hydroboost system as well.

edwardb: I look forward to the chance to meet another builder. I'll look into the Great Lakes Cobra Club. I wasn't sure if they were too keen on replicas, but your comment makes it seem so. Also, were your Oakland County Sheriff inspectors people that you happened to know, or were they just that accommodating? I've followed your 20th Anniversary build thread, and you really do excellent work - and I've loved the details you've contributed in your thread. I'm down outside of Monroe, and work up in Dearborn. Lake Orion is more than a hop, skip, and a jump, but I would really like to come see your car (and bring my family, if that'd be okay - see the next paragraph). Also, since you're sorta local, who'd you use for powder coating?

Jeff: Unfortunately, my next work trip is going to interfere with that London meet. I was really disappointed when my trip was scheduled. I had planned to take my wife and kids, and hopefully get them as excited about the project as I am. My wife has been super supportive, but I wouldn't say she's excited. I'm going to have to find something else as a summer trip where there will be FF cars involved. Somewhere in August, maybe?

Straversi: I know, right? I called Jim ~10 days ago, because my build plan changed from a 347 to a 363 after talking with Holbrook, and I was concerned that his set-up work may be impacted by the displacement change. He is a great guy, and we've had few nice conversations. Long story short, my system should be shipped by now, and I can't wait to get home and open that box. I'm not joking when I say I'm going to hear angels singing and imagine a glow emanating as I open it. Whooo Hooo!!!

Anyway, thanks again for feedback. I'll try not to post repeatedly, while not contributing anything useful.

--Curt
    The Great Lakes Cobra Club is basically all replicas. Of every brand. Factory Five, Superformance, ERA, etc. No worries there. One guy in the club has an original 289 that he brings out occasionally. But your Factory Five would fit right in and be welcomed. No I don't know anyone at the Oakland County Sheriff. You call the county dispatch number and tell them what you want (complete a TR-54 vehicle inspection form) and they will send an officer. Mine has come from the Lake Orion substation each time and they were pretty accommodating. The Michigan Assembled Vehicle process isn't hard compared to some states. But there are specific steps and you need to have your paperwork together for it to go smoothly. Plus be patient.

These are the guys I use for power coating: https://www.qccoatings.com/. They do nice work and know these cars well. A bit of a haul for you. But do it in one or two batches and wouldn't be too bad. Plus it's cheaper that way. You also might want to check these guys for your transmission: http://libertysgears.com/our-product...transmissions/. Local for us. They also know these cars and know about machining off the rear mounting ears. They offer a synchro upgrade that I've used and like. But guys run them stock too and are happy with them.

You and your family are welcome to drop up any time that works for both of us. We're about 6 miles north of I-75 off Baldwin Road to give you an idea. PM me for more details and suggested dates.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun. Hopefully you can get the 50 50 sale soon. The Whitby power brake booster works nicely after you can get it in the car. Lol. But hydroboost is a good option too. Sir Edward has done both so he has a lot of knowledge in this area and many others. Tough to beat Forte's hydraulic clutch. I have the center dash support on mine with the FFR padded dash with glovebox. It's plastic so if you're going this route I would recommend the under dash support from Mike Everton. Makes it solid as a rock. Good luck and enjoy your build.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    Hopefully you can get the 50 50 sale soon.
    Don't want to rain on the parade, but I've read in multiple places that FFR have told people there will never be another 50/50. Other sales, yes, but not that one. I got the winter special and got $1000 off options..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    Welcome to the fun. Hopefully you can get the 50 50 sale soon. The Whitby power brake booster works nicely after you can get it in the car. Lol. But hydroboost is a good option too. Sir Edward has done both so he has a lot of knowledge in this area and many others. Tough to beat Forte's hydraulic clutch. I have the center dash support on mine with the FFR padded dash with glovebox. It's plastic so if you're going this route I would recommend the under dash support from Mike Everton. Makes it solid as a rock. Good luck and enjoy your build.
    Never Say Never Because Like Any Business The Economy & The Company's Cash Flow Drives Everything!

What drives any business is cash on hand plus receivables minus taxes owed, utilities, insurance, salaries, overhead and accounts payables to vendors for supplies and components.
    Add in the law of supply and demand for orders taken and future order projections and you get the picture.
    The bottom line is the same for all private businesses so in this case, the only person that knows what will be offered in the future is Dave Smith and maybe his accountant.

Note: The deal I got, though in a much weaker economic time, (Sale Ended On: 11/10/2014) was $1,500.00 off of the complete kit or $2,500.00 off of any add-on goodies with the exception of their Rag Top and Hallibrand Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered my transmission set-up (a complete transmission system - everything between the engine and driveshaft) from Forte's this evening, including the hydraulic clutch kit. Thanks for the nudge. Now I know what it means when people say the forum is good for suggestions on how to $pend my money.

Also ordered an Avaiad oil pan tonight.

Wow. Spending money is fun. Too bad I don't have one of those money trees in my backyard. I'm off to search eBay for money tree seeds...