Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Helmet Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Helmet Recommendations

I plan on doing 3-4 Autocross events each year to learn how to drive my car better. Maybe down the road doing a yearly track event. I am not to keen on wearing a borrowed helmet. It needs to be compatible with eyeglasses and in the $300 to $400 range. Less is okay too.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, make sure you get a SA rated helmet (preferably 2015) and If you have the ability, go into a local shop and try stuff on.

I used to work in a shop that sold a TON of safety equipment and the most important thing was comfort. We would tell people to take the helmet, go home, and wear it around the house for a half hour to make sure there were no weird pressure points that caused pain.

I would recommend a Bell Sport for a budget minded purchase because it has a great eye relief for someone who wears glasses, but the most important thing is your own comfort!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought the least expensive open faced helmet I could find. It must be Snell approved. YOu can save a little $ if you find a 2010 Snell sticker as the 2015s are out now. But the 2010s will be good for 10 more years. Snell SA or M (motorcycle rating is fine). It MUST have a real Snell sticker. It is inside the helmet and sometimes hard to hard to find under the lining.
    http://www.smf.org/cert
    I would stay w/ one of the top 4 if I were you. The others 'may' be OK but are unusual enough to cause questions at tech. DOT stickers on the outside are meaningless. We turned two brand new helmets away last Sunday because of DOT only stickers. BTW my official proper size is an XL but I got a 2XL because it is easier to get off and on w/ glasses. I bought this
    http://www.jegs.com/i/RaceQuip/224/2...FcRahgodw9cCgQ
    If I were on a track I'd spend the $ for a high end full face helmet but I don't see the need for AX.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Snell M rating is OK for auto-x but most track event organizers will require an SA rated helmet AND I've encountered some that also require a full face helmet with shield down for open top cars like ours (you REALLY don't want to take a stone to the face at 100MPH when the guy in front of you drops a wheel off line ). I strongly encourage you to try them on before you buy...just like shoes they don't all feel alike or fit the same and sizes are not standardized; one manufacturer's L may be another's XL (I have 2 helmets, 2 different manufacturers, 2 different sizes). Buy to fit your head, not so that it will clear glasses when putting it on or off. I always run with prescription sunglasses---the order goes; remove glasses, put on helmet, put glasses back on and reverse the order to take it off.

Good luck Doug!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Jeff, get an SA rated helmet. Our local organizer THSCC does AUTO-X, Track days, Drivers school ect. They require a full face helmet with eye shield for open cars & SA 2010 + rating. M rated helmets are not allowed

I usually run AUTO-X with the shield up but put it down for any track event even a charity fun run. Just like anything that requires a helmet wear it as much as you can so it becomes second nature to you.

Hasn't been mentioned yet but also get a helmet bag. Good to carry spare visors, gloves etc.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Some tracks will require arm restraints for open top vehicles too. Their a good idea for any high performance driving. Less of a chance to roll at an autocross than at a track but... And they are inexpensive too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try some on before you buy, they fit differently by brand like shoes. I like the fit of the Shoei helmets myself. They have removable pads for cleaning also. (Just re-read Jeff's post, and just like he said also, try them on don't just order one. For instance the Arai helmets don't fit me at all, the bottom of the helmet stops without covering my ears all the way.)
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 04-30-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... and I cant wear a Shoei for even 1/2 hour, but I can wear an Arai all day long and not think twice. Like everyone says, test fit for as long as you can. Even better, get fitted.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good advice here - I've been wearing motorcycle and auto racing helmets for nearly 25 years and have found that certain brands just never fit me right. Used to always be a Bell guy, but with their recent changes in production facilities, they've had trouble filling the shelves at most retailers, so I recently switched to Arai. I've never been able to wear Simpson, but always liked their styling... bummer.

As for fit, you want it tight, but not uncomfortable - when you move it around, it should move skin / scalp with it.

By getting a SA2015 rated helmet, it'll be good for at least 9 - 10 years, so make an investment in a good one and take care of it - like the old Bell advertisement from the '70s said... "if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet."
    Last edited by Gumball; 05-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As far as fit goes great stuff here. As to Certification look at the rules of the groups your planning to run in and go with the strictest of those.