Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inverting Front konis on 33..

Post Thanks / Like

Inverting Front konis on 33..

I notice suggestions about mounting the koni's upsidedown on the 33, to aid adjustment later - JOP33 recently received that suggestion at http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post274762 too. Someone suggested getting and inverting the QA1's instead of Koni's via PM last night.

It's an interesting idea, because I know some shocks can be run that way, others can't. And with so many changes happening to these kits it's hard to have any answers stick for long - my parts are different from what JOP33 received two weeks before mine!

This thread talks at length about which can be inverted (on a GTM, but is good reading): http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...side-down.html

I've asked FFR for comment and will update later, but reading that thread above I'm not inverting mine until I hear back. They may fail or just work terribly if not designed for it.
    Last edited by RoadRacer; 04-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I notice suggestions about mounting the koni's upsidedown on the 33, to aid adjustment later - JOP33 recently received that suggestion at http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post274762 too. Someone suggested getting and inverting the QA1's instead of Koni's via PM last night.

It's an interesting idea, because I know some shocks can be run that way, others can't. And with so many changes happening to these kits it's hard to have any answers stick for long - my parts are different from what JOP33 received two weeks before mine!

This thread talks at length about which can be inverted (on a GTM, but is good reading): http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...side-down.html

I've asked FFR for comment and will update later, but reading that thread above I'm not inverting mine until I hear back. They may fail or just work terribly if not designed for it.
    I think you're best confirming with FFR. In may case, I have the dual adjustable koni's and Dan (FFR) stated that they would not perform correctly if mounted inverted.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I figured it's a longshot, but good to ask and put a definitive answer in here for the next person who thinks it..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR build manual that was supplied with my 33HR #353 INSTRUCTS the builder to install the front shocks on the chassis with the body up, and that is accompanied by photographs. There has to be a reason to do this and as the chassis hasn't changed since then why does FFR now supply front shocks that should NOT be installed that way. Perhaps a FFR tech might like to clear this matter up on the forum where we can all learn why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting! Here is the latest manual, as of a month ago (#997)..

shockdown.jpeg
    James

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Monotube shocks like the red ones that come with roadsters and came with older 33 kits can be mounted either direction. Twin tube shocks, like the current 33 nickel plated ones or the optional aluminum body double adjustables, must be mounted body down. The reason for the switch was for a better ride on the 33. Koni sent a shock engineer down with us during the testing to help get the best balance that still gave great handling but was more the ride comfort people were asking for out of that car, and those really turned out to be a nice change to the kit. We then used that baseline valving to come up with settings for the double adjustables so people could tune the ride based on tire sizes and personal preference.
    Last edited by Jim Schenck; 05-01-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: too early in the morning
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,
    Thanks for clearing that up. What Koni part number and spring rate is on the 33 front now? What tires did it get tested with? Assuming we can still get a spanner wrench on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    We tested on a few different cars but most of the testing was using our 18/20 wheel combo. The 20 inch wheel the back with the lower profile tire is in general the roughest riding combination, but also the most popular, so we wanted to optimize that for the standard shocks. We did also lower the spring rates all around by either 50 or 100lbs, I can look em up tomorrow what the exact rates are, but we tested both of those and some lower rates but with anything softer we were bottoming out on the big bumps with 2 larger people in the car.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    We did also lower the spring rates all around by either 50 or 100lbs, I can look em up tomorrow what the exact rates are
    i just got the standard springs/shocks. 400lb front, 250lb rear
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are the new spring rates, 400 front (old was 500) 250 rear (old was 350) and IRS is 300.
    Part numbers for the new shocks are 33978 Front (and rear IRS) and 33979 Rear Solid axle.

The way to tell between the two shocks is color, the new softer twin-tubes are nickel plated, the stiffer monotubes are red.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim! I heard a couple guys say they put rears (350) on the front for cruisers.