FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel tube to gas tank "O" seal leaking

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel tube to gas tank "O" seal leaking

Yesterday after an all day alignment my alignment guy drove the car to test the settings and feel of the car. As he pulled out we saw fuel gushing out of the right lower side of the car. Upon closer inspection it appears to be the this large rubber seal. I am using the stock Mustang Tank that came with the complete kit.

Just wondering if these is some sealant I am supposed to used to keep this from happening in the future.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never had to use any sealant but always lubed the seal before installing the pipe. Check it for damage. You should be able to remove the filler pipe and inspect both for anything out of the ordinary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sealant is not required. The seal is adequate on it's own, if it hasn't been compromised.
    Perhaps during the alignment, the filler tube was accidentally shifted? If it was pushed inward, (or moved outward) at all, it may have changed the alignment as the tube passes through the seal, or caused pressure on part of the seal. You can't have any curvature where the tube enters the seal.

As wallace mentioned, lubricating the seal prior to installing it into the tank, and when installing the filler tube will help prevent damage to it. Vaseline works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those seals aren't expensive. If it's leaking, pretty good chance it was damaged. Especially if no lube used as mentioned. Personally, I'd replace it and put it back together very carefully. Also watch the angle on how the fill tube is coming out of the tank. Make sure the connection to the gas cap is keeping the angle as straight as possible.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gonna play it safe and replace it, thanks for comments.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check the alignment of the tube first. It may just need a little adjustment.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a slight leak coming from the tube seal on my tank. I replaced it with a genuine ford part# F4ZZ-9072-DA.
    As a previous thread stated, use plenty of 10-40 motor oil to lube the tank seal and tube seal.
    So far, no leakage and no gas smell.

Mack

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, lube with motor oil!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I would check the alignment of the tube first. It may just need a little adjustment.
    I recently went through this fuel filler tube alignment. Just about no matter how I twisted the fuel filler tube, it did not want to line up on one end or the other. It was putting too much stress on the tank o-ring, or the filler tube was exiting the tank at a pretty harsh angle through the o-ring. I finally took it to a muffler shop, and added about 1 1/2 inches to the part coming out of the tank (the area outside the tank). It seems to line up on both ends now, as well as coming out of the tank at a nice angle straight out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 05-03-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat, Mack, Bill....yes yes yes. alignment, a little lube and replace with a real Ford gasket , not a Dorman. If you have the keeper, use it...da bat....oh, Dorman is the aftermarket tank setup FFR sources for tanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same seal failure on my 2012 MkIV within a year. As mentioned, replace with a Ford genuine part. I think on the older MkIVs there is a 3/4" tube on the frame that comes down on a diagonal and interferes slightly with the filler tube. This forces the tube low in the tank opening and stresses the seal. After changing the damaged seal, I solved the root cause of the problem by dropping the tank about 1/2" with some spacers. No leaking since.