Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The TURBO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

The TURBO Thread

So what do folks recommend for a turbo with wide power band, low boost requirements and tunable from 280 to 350 hp ? For most of the time I don't want to go over 16lbs boost as I believe that 15 lbs (1bar) is max stock boost for my ej207v7
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 05-03-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you are going to come close to 350hp on 15lbs of boost, without a lot of other mods like maybe head work and cams, but I could be wrong.

For 280-350 on a 2.0 engine with no long-block mods, I would suggest either an 18G or a dom 1.5XTR. My preference would be for the dom 1.5XTR.

Blouch makes a great turbo but I have heard a lot of bad things about their support, so if that is important to you, you might consider a Forced Performance turbo. They tend to be less expensive, have better service, but use journal bearings so they need rebuilds more often than the ball-bearing turbos.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are making 335 WHP from 4000-7000 rpm. We are using a a Borg Warner EFR. We run 21 psi boost. We did replace the rods, pistons, increased valve spring pressure. We haven't tracked it yet, but we are anxious to get there soon. We really like the EFR's as they are internally waste gated and also an internal blow off, simplifies installation. I don't have any pics here, I'll have Kyle post some pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So what do folks recommend for a turbo with wide power band, low boost requirements and tunable from 280 to 350 hp ? For most of the time I don't want to go over 16lbs boost as I believe that 15 lbs (1bar) is max stock boost for my ej207v7
    I would rephrase the question as "What turbo will be an upgrade if I still stay with OEM TMIC; Injectors; virtually everything else is still stock?"
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post

Hey Tony. I'm sorry to see what happened to your last turbo setup. I understand that this may be one of your first turbo vehicles, and having your turbo cannibalize itself will definitely leave a bad impression, but please don't let this ruin boost for you.

I'm kind of the "resident boost junkie" around these parts, and I'd be happy to help. I've tuned more EJ engines than I can count, using a wide range of turbos. Off the top of my head, I remember TD04, VF39, VF43, VF48, VF52, HTA68, various 16Gs, various 18Gs, 20G, GT3071R, and an S200SX. When I got brought onto the FormaCars team, my first job was to choose which turbo to run on our EJ205-powered 818S. We were more concerned with having a wide, usable, powerband and less so about top-end power. After spending too many hours going over different flow charts, I chose the Borg Warner EFR6258. It's the smallest EFR turbo offered, capable of ~450hp. In theory it would spool like a VF39 and be capable of holding 20+psi through 7,000rpm. The best part is that we are right in the turbo's efficiency range, so it should have a long life.

We are running the EFR6258 on an EJ205 with an AWIC. On E85, we made 335whp and 342wtq.

170128_dyno.JPGIMG_20170131_172855 (2).jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing you want a stock location turbo, not rotated, correct Tony? Rotated would require you to change a lot... down pipe, intake pipe, boost pipes, exhaust, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle @ Forma I think from talking with Tony about a rebuilt 18G I have available that he wants to stay with stock injectors/rails/fuel pump/tmic......
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony here's my Spec B 2.5L with a Rebuilt VF46 Turbo by John Pierce. OEM LGT TMIC. Tomioka EL Header. OEM Intake box & Snorkel. DW 65c fuel pump and Cobb/Injector Dynamics 1,000cc Injectors. Turbo XS Catted DP. Ported heads by the same guy that did the Cosworth head porting. So it's not a direct comparison to your 2.0 but gives you an idea of how well a VF46 can be made to go.

Here's the dyno graph.
    Run 1 is the WG which is on the SI Drive Intelligent setting. 9.5 psi
    Run 2 is the Sport setting. 14.8 psi
    Run 3 is the Sport # setting. 16.9 psi

I told them to tune it conservatively for long life and reliability at 92 Octane, which they did.

Plenty of TQ and HP for a street car. Using the NASA ST rules to correct for a Mustang to Dynojet reading it comes in at 328 TQ and 277 HP. Convert that from AWDHP to RWDHP and you're probably at 350 TQ and 300HP or so.

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    New Bloush turbo on the way an 16G-XT-R as the tuner thought this would be just right for ST2/3 given my weight and tracks I run on
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, that is the Turbo I was considering before I went with the VF37 and JDM header. From what have been told you should be pretty happy with it on your 2 liter.