Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wirenut's 818s

Post Thanks / Like

Wirenut's 818s

Finally time to get this thing started.

My journey started about 2 years ago while being stuck over in Indonesia. My wife's job had brought us there and we were 2 years into a 4 year rotation. Had some great times, but after a couple of years I couldn't help but think of what I was going to do when we got moved back to the States. I knew I was going to tackle a build/rebuild, but I wasn't sure what until I found the 818. It check all of my boxes. Challenging, good looking, lots of room for customization and most importantly it is a fast modern HOT ROD. So I was in. I could wait, so about a year ago I ordered the kit and had it sent to my dad's in Dallas. About the same time I ordered a Donor from VCP Wayne (and a few other goodies). I came in last summer for a couple of weeks and prepped some of the donor parts and sent the harness off to iWire.

Fast forward to today...We were transfered to Houston and finally got here at the end of March. Since then we bought a house, 2 cars and the million other things it takes to live. Things started calming down last weekend so I jump on a plane to Dallas, rented a 20' Uhaul and loaded it up. My dad and I drove down I-45 and finally the 818 was in my garage.

Messy!

Soon to be heart of the monster...

Next I had to clean up the mess so my wife could get her new car in the garage. Got keep the wife happy if I'm going to be able to keep doing these money-pit-projects....

By the way...I picked up that winch storage from Home Depot online for $150. It's really awesome. I'm buying another. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-250...L-1R/100464807

I guess that's it. I should be making some quick progress in the next month. Ready to get started!

Bonus Pic...Water Buffalo!!!!

Last edited by wirenut; 05-04-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything looks good and welcome back to the US! I have recently seen comments on the legacygt.com forum that the gates TB/WP quality has gone down recently so I would be careful with those components.
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Good lick on the build! I'm 2.5 years away from home, and can relate completely to your planning for the return. During my last visit home I bought a donor and placed my kit order. My next visit home will include a trip to the FFR open house, and my anticipated permanent return is less than a year away.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    Everything looks good and welcome back to the US! I have recently seen comments on the legacygt.com forum that the gates TB/WP quality has gone down recently so I would be careful with those components.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyboots View Post
    Good lick on the build! I'm 2.5 years away from home, and can relate completely to your planning for the return. During my last visit home I bought a donor and placed my kit order. My next visit home will include a trip to the FFR open house, and my anticipated permanent return is less than a year away.

Cheers,
    Right on man. What are you doing overseas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
    Finally time to get this thing started.

By the way...I picked up that winch storage from Home Depot online for $150. It's really awesome. I'm buying another. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-250...L-1R/100464807
    I guess that's it. I should be making some quick progress in the next month. Ready to get started!

[img]
    I bought that same lift to make putting the body on and off of the 33HR a 1 man job. When you make a lot of mods to a FF you end up doing that
    quite a few times. Buy a piece of EMT/conduit and stretch the crank to a handy length and make it so you can chuck that up in a battery drill. My 18V
    1/2" chuck dewalt runs the lift up and down just fine with two hundred pounds on it no problem. I also suggest putting uni-strut in the attic above
    the ceiling joist and hanging the unit on all thread and double nutting everything. You spread out the load on several joists and don't run the risk of the
    lags pulling out at some later date and dropping it all on your head. If that's finish space above and no attic at least put the uni-strut on the ceiling with
    enough length and fasteners to spread the load a bit and fasten it to that. Have fun with the build.
    Dale
    7 liter Hemi33
    Last edited by myjones; 05-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advise Dale.

Question. Trying to decide if I should just loop the steering rack or should I do a "true" de-power job.

Those that just looped theirs, how's your steering response? I'd rather not break the rack apart for minimal gain, but if there really is a noticeable difference I'll do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. We completed our 818 about a month ago, though, I still have a few things on our punch list, the most urgent of which is to get it inspected. Looks like the wait time in OH is 6-8 weeks.

We looped our PS and the steering is quite responsive. Really no complaints. We went out of our way complicating things (built our own engine harness, EFR turbo, W/A intercooler, infinity box electrical, etc.) but still didn't see value in tearing apart the rack.

chris @ forma.....formacars.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    Welcome aboard. We completed our 818 about a month ago, though, I still have a few things on our punch list, the most urgent of which is to get it inspected. Looks like the wait time in OH is 6-8 weeks.

We looped our PS and the steering is quite responsive. Really no complaints. We went out of our way complicating things (built our own engine harness, EFR turbo, W/A intercooler, infinity box electrical, etc.) but still didn't see value in tearing apart the rack.

chris @ forma.....formacars.com
    Yeah I've seen your car and it is sick! I'm also digging some of the products you guys are coming up with for the 818.

Thanks for comfirming what I thought. I'm just going to loop it and see how it feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here. Everyone is helpful, and I've learn a lot.
    Definitely a fun project. I hope to register mine in the next few weeks.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Wingjut, we are currently not developing any new products for the 818, though we have a few that we have developed but not yet put up on our site. That being said, if you have an unmet need (i wish someone made a ????), let us know, it could inspire a solution. Also if there is anything that you see on our build that you like, we'd be glad to make it available. For instance, at one point we were going to package our turbo-intercooler solution into a product, but when we looked at the numbers, my guys didn't think it made sense for the 818 community so we never pursued it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok time for a small update. Not much happening the last 2 weeks because my attention got deverted onto a porch addition in our backyard. (Honey-do, Honey-did).

I was able to get a few hours here and there. First off, I'm rebuilding everything.

Brake calipers before:

Brake calipers after:

Picked up a 20 ton press from HF and replaced all the bearings. Good thing I did. 2 sets were rusted.

Cleaned up the control arms. Had some help.

Next up: Replace all the bushings with poly.

I'm 1.5 weeks from my kids starting thier summer program and me getting to go full time on the 818 for the month of June. I can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wirenut, welcome back to the balmy Houston area! I'm sorry I missed your post in our build thread in April. If you want to come up to the Woodlands to see the car or if you have any questions just PM me. Great job so far. Enjoy the build!

Thanks,
    - Lou
    Building an 818C
    Ordered: 8/31/15, Production Date: 1/23/16, Delivery Date: 2/05/2016
    First Start: 4/14/2017
    818C Build Thread
    Donor Teardown Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-Lou View Post
    Wirenut, welcome back to the balmy Houston area! I'm sorry I missed your post in our build thread in April. If you want to come up to the Woodlands to see the car or if you have any questions just PM me. Great job so far. Enjoy the build!

Thanks,
    - Lou
    Thanks Lou! I'll send you a PM to see when we can meet up. Nice to have another 818 in the area.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok time for a quick update. Got all the front suspension installed. Will install the sway bar and torque everyting to spec tomorrow. Went ahead and installed the Baer bumpsteer kit now instead of having to do it later.

Also, got some interior metal and foot box installed.

A few other things:

-Went ahead and drilled a hole above the FFR recomended hole for added leverage if needed. (Suggested by Hindsight.)
    - Ordered a 7/8 nissan master cylinder (Thanks for the part number RM1SepEX)
    -Ordered a new clutch master. The donor had alot of junk in the bowl.
    - Ordered metric fitings for the brake line so I don't have to convert

Up Next:
    -Install steering
    -Install gas tank
    -Install front calipers/rotors
    -Install Hydromat and put gas tank in place. (Need to get it out of my way.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok time for a quick update. Got all the front suspension installed. Will install the sway bar and torque everyting to spec tomorrow. Went ahead and installed the Baer bumpsteer kit now instead of having to do it later.

Also, got some interior metal and foot box installed.

A few other things:

-Went ahead and drilled a hole above the FFR recomended hole for added leverage if needed. (Suggested by Hindsight.)
    - Ordered a 7/8 nissan master cylinder (Thanks for the part number RM1SepEX)
    -Ordered a new clutch master. The donor had alot of junk in the bowl.
    - Ordered metric fitings for the brake line so I don't have to convert

Up Next:
    -Install steering
    -Install gas tank
    -Install front calipers/rotors
    -Install Hydromat and put gas tank in place. (Need to get it out of my way.)
    The Baer kit I located said it was for 2002-2005 WRX. It looks like you have a later steering rack. Does it also fit the 2007 WRX?
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an '06 rack and it fits fine. The tapered bolt that comes with the Baer kit doesn't work so, you have to drill out the hole and replace with a 5/8" bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update:

I shortened the steering column 2" to give me a little more space in the cabin. Was planning on fabbing a bracket to do this but, fastzrex sold me this sweet brack instead...

Then I picked up a 18" 1 1/4" rigid nipple from Lowes then marked and tapped down the outer collar...

Then tapped the center down with a 5lb sledge.

Done. More room in the seat and will look nicer too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, well done.
    ~ Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the project; highly recommend a compressor driven rivet gun; the one I got at harbor freight works great. Capt. Bill
    Reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    WireNut, could you share with me your S/N. As you may be aware, we are developing a number of kit enhancement products. As we trying to gauge approx sales rates for this kit and knowi your S/N will help us to gauge FFR's sales rates.

Thanks,
    Chris@FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    WireNut, could you share with me your S/N. As you may be aware, we are developing a number of kit enhancement products. As we trying to gauge approx sales rates for this kit and knowi your S/N will help us to gauge FFR's sales rates.

Thanks,
    Chris@FormaCars
    My number is 402. Purchased Feb 2016. My kit sat for a year while I was overseas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the Google registry, Frankcr #429 was delivered 3-25-17
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Looking at the Google registry, Frankcr #429 was delivered 3-25-17
    I think there is a little confusion due to how Frankc5r originally registered his vehicle. Frankc5r originally posted the same S/N as me; he was only guessing to fill out the form before his car was delivered (I had a conversation with him at the time). I have S/N 429 as shown on my Certificate of Origin. The date of delivery was 8/03/2016.

Frankc5r actually has 474 (at least as shown now in the spreadsheet), delivered on 3/25/2017.

All data from the 818 spreadsheet http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post191569
    Last edited by fastzrex; 07-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    ~ Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress has been slow. You know, family, other commitments, hurricanes.... Luckily we did well in the storm and didn't have any damage. I had one really scary night that the water got halfway up our yard and we were pretty sure that we were going to get flooded. My wife started rolling up rugs and putting it in high places, I ran to the garage and took my iWire harness and did the same! Anyway, I hope any other forums members in the area came out ok too.

On to progress. Installed a rear firewall.

I also got the steering wheel in and started mocking the center console.

Started intalling the MR2 shifter. (Should have that wrapped up today.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing too crazy over the last week.

Got the rear suspension in. (Not torqing down until engine/tran is installed)

Went ahead and put the radiator in just to get more stuff on the car and off the shelves.

Getting back to work on the interior next.

Post Thanks / Like
    perfect time to put in the LCA spacer for the caster mod right now. I'm going to have to do it with all the wheelwell sheetmetal in and everything else.....
    I'm needing a bit more caster for stability at speed.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    perfect time to put in the LCA spacer for the caster mod right now. I'm going to have to do it with all the wheelwell sheetmetal in and everything else.....
    I'm needing a bit more caster for stability at speed.
    Do you have a link of where somebody did this mod? I can't seem to find it.