Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine lifting

Post Thanks / Like

engine lifting

is the best place to bolt the chains and lift the engine on the heads? I am new to this for fords. On Honda you can lift from the heads, on subaru you can actually from the intake manifold spot.

I have a 427w with a tko600 tranny mounted to it already. I just need to go buy the chains to lift it, and drop it in... =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I have AFR heads and I used a diagonal 2 bolt lift. I used grade 8 bolts with some grade 8 washers and lifted it from 2 bolts, no problemo. I also have a 427W.
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the grade 8 bolts and washers. Strap chains caddy corner front and back. A load leveler will make the job a lot easier. I picked up one at harbor freight cheap. Just grease the threaded bolt real good. With tranny attached, you gotta put the whole assembly on a pretty good angle to get it to clear. My son helped me with the process and I was sure glad I had another helper on hand. The load leveler allows you to fine tune the angle. The motor will be a little cocked going in but as soon as you land on the mounts, it will settle in. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a carb plate lift - get them from any auto store

carb-lift.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used a bolt in each head with an engine leveler similar to the one shown below:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csumg1022kit

Then we simply raised the back of the car and slipped the engine and transmission in like you put your foot in your shoe.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

It took about 15 minutes to do the installation.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-04-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The levelors work great until they get that weight on them. As the angle increases they get harder to turn. So put a bunch of bearing grease on the threads and bearings/washers of the levelor.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    The levelors work great until they get that weight on them. As the angle increases they get harder to turn. So put a bunch of bearing grease on the threads and bearings/washers of the levelor.
    Now You Tell Me!

Have A Great Day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the carb plate. It was super easy and I have the same setup as you. I borrowed a friend's, but I think they're pretty cheap.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Then we simply raised the back of the car and slipped the engine and transmission in like you put your foot in your shoe.
    That won't work on the 33 because the tranny is over the chassis/ floor but on most older cars raising the back way up makes a lot of difference
    and once you see it done you'll never do it any other way.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Yea i have the back as high as my jack stands will go, and the front as low as they will go... So in theory it should just slide right in. =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course I was pulling the engine only but just did this last night. Used the accessory holes on the head. Have used the intake bolts in the past. As you can see we did not have a lot of room to go straight back. The front wheels were too low to slide the legs of the hoist under them. We couldn't pull straight back. Might have been better to have the hoist on the side. We had to jack up the left front A-Arm to get the hoist to slide under them. Problem was that you need to support the transmission if you are leaving it in and I only had one floor jack which was under the transmission. Do not forget the transmission, you are screwed if you drop it.

IMG_1094.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1098.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 05-05-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    X3, 4 or whatever on the leveler. I grab all 4 corners at the exhaust ports using some rectangular tubing brackets I made. Get the chassis as high as is practical (make sure your jackstand placement won't interfere with the hoist legs as you roll it into position) with the nose down and tail up. The engine leveler makes it a 10 minute one man job.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I used a bolt in each head with an engine leveler similar to the one shown below:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csumg1022kit

It didn't even occur to me at the time to raise rearend. Doh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try taking the handle off the leveler and replacing with a nut Then you can use a inpack wrench to tilt the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH33 View Post
    Try taking the handle off the leveler and replacing with a nut Then you can use a inpack wrench to tilt the engine.
    Thats exactly what I did. Much easier than cranking on the handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up a nice leveler at harbour freight.... I know I know.... But for 42.00 minus 20%, I got the heavy duty one..... Greased everything. And I am ready to go... Now I have to figure out the engine mount bolt sizes, since once again I didn't get any bolts with my mounting system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are 7/16 coarse thread. I wanted to add another tip that I used a year ago. I had accessories taking up all the holes in the front of both heads.

Fortunately there were spacer sleeves on both sides. So I searched through my collection of serpentine belts and found one the right length to thread under a spacer on each side of the engine. That way I had a loop of belt just a little above the front each head that I attached the levelor chain to.
    Last edited by CraigS; 05-06-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig.... Fortunately I don't have add on to the engine. Just alternator... No ps, no ac, no nothing... Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have read all of the reply's before I posted.
    Last edited by Derald Rice; 05-06-2017 at 06:24 PM.