FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member from Colorado long time lurker

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Colorado long time lurker

Been a member to read the forums since 2015 but finally getting my act together.

From Philadelphia originally and settled in Colorado 14 years ago. I'm looking to start building an FFR GTM and I've been looking and researching a lot. Fast things crash the stig and many more I've followed watching the build process.

Hope to continue to learn and maybe hopefully contribute sooner than later.

Sincerely Erock

PS I have spotted and very nice gray and black GTM close to my house on the south of Denver if anyone knows who that is I'd like to meet up 😀

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    After all the reading I've done on the GTM, I sure wouldn't want one. The styling is getting old. The body needs a ton of rework prior to paint. The side power windows and their seals are also a disaster. I'd rather have a lightly used C7 (which I do). If I wanted some serious power, I'd add a whole new exhaust system and Magnusun supercharger to get 650 hp for about $12K and 3-4 days of work. A lightly used C7 Z06 would already have that power, plus a dry sump, better suspension and bigger tires.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 05-05-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave thanks for the welcome but I feel that the c7 is too common and that anyone can do that. My dream is to build a unique car and that I'm finding it to be the GTM. I surprised to get a response like this with my first post and why would you be on the FFR forum?
    Last edited by Erock; 05-05-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Dave thanks for the welcome but I feel that the c7 is too common and that anyone can do that. My dream is to build a unique car and that I'm finding it to be the GTM. I surprised to get a response like this with my first post and why would you be on the FFR forum?
    I completed a 3-year, 3000 hour build of a '37 Oze fiberglass car last year. It is not a kit. You buy a roller that includes the body and chassis with suspension and a rear end housing. I also got a radiator and 3 windshields. It was sort of a nightmare, since the body had no provisions for side windows and no structure for mounting seals. I probably spent 80 hours per door, getting the power windows woring and properly sealed. I spent at least 500 hours on body work, and I know what I'm doing - I've painted 8 cars and a couple of boats. I have an 1800 square foot shop with heat and air conditioning, a 2-post lift, a tig welder, plasma cutter, drill press, sanding and grinding equipment and the ability to do my own paint. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and former machinist. I used to work on cars a lot when I was much younger and decided to try it again as a hobby in retirement.

My car came out looking great, but it's still crude by comparison with a factory built car. I've taken the '37 to several car shows and received many praises from folks who find it hard to believe that the car is 100% owner built. The Corvette is so much better (except for fit and finish), that's there's really no comparison.

What I see most often is people trying to build these cars in a 2-car garage with no lift, no welder, no body working skills and no room to work. Most fork out $10-15,000 at the end to have someone do the paint and body work. The parts on my car are 100% new and ran up to more than $60,000. I have an LS3 connect and cruise package for the engine and transmission, Wilwood brakes, Billet Specialties wheels and many other top of the line parts. My new Corvette cost about the same as the parts for my hot rod. Like all cars, a Corvette will depreciate to half of it's original value in about 5 years, even if I only drive it 1500 miles a year. A lightly used one can be a heck of a bargain.

What's sadly lacking from this website is honest reviews on how the cars are to live with, after they are done. I recently read one review from a 65 coupe owner who said his car was so loud and so hot (even with AC) that it was miserable to drive. My car isn't that bad. I plan to make a 3-hour trip down to Pueblo for the NSRA show in June.

Titling and registration a kit car in Colorado can also be a big pain. Be sure to keep all the receipts for the major parts, so you can prove ownership for everything. You'll also need to trailer it to be inspected. I talked to someone who recently went through the process and it sounded like a nightmare. Most states are mainly interested in making sure that you pay sales tax on all the parts and the value set as high as possible to increase your property taxes.

My advice to potential buyers is to be realistic about the results you'll get from a lot of your time and money. It won't compare favorably to a factory built car. That doesn't mean that I'll never build another. I wanted to like the '33 hot rod, but after reading several build threads, I learned of so many shortcomings, I wouldn't buy one of those either.

Check out the "other forum" ffcars.com. There are GTM builds there,too. I only figured out this forum recently. I've been reading the other forum for quite some time.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 05-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd reach out to the GTM members who you're following and see if you can chat. All cars you build or modify, whether kits or not, are frustrating at times - and all the more satisfying. Most people on these forums will help a lot. My 33 project is still very new but it's a whole different project when there are people here who have been through it already... although the 33 and roadster especially seem to have had many detail updates. The manuals can't keep up

One of my goals was a simple car, fix by the side of the road with duct tape and tie wraps, so I'm a carb sbc guy. Seems the GTM is all computery - i program the damn things all day, I want a break at home

Hopefully you'll find some friends here and have fun!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave thanks for the information as I wasn't sure where your first reply was going but now I do. Appreciate the honest feedback and unlike most I have a three car over size garage with majority of the tools already as I was actively racing in the SCCA. I too have worked on number of cars over the years and whole heartedly wanted to do a classic but then I said it's becoming rare for parts and good bones without paying through the nose. I have been down many paths of decision but this one seems to be the one I want. Other than building my own car from scratch that this is the next best thing. I have time and it will take that time to complete but a car is never done and I've seen it oh so many times.

One day I'll have to make it out to see your car as it sounds awesome.