Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Huntington Beach Cruise In and trip home

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Huntington Beach Cruise In and trip home

We picked up the coupe at Jeff Millers. Then we spent a day and half working primarily to lengthen the passenger footbox and insulate.

Then off to HB for a tour at Hillborn and a ride up the coast. The following is a . Upic from Aliso and Canyon park. Great view!

Dave Hodgkins BBQ was fantastic. Dave, thank you for your hospitality and for your son guiding us around HB

Sat AM..Up early and head from Temecula back to the HB Cruise.

The Factory Five Huntington Beach Cruise In was amazing!

We are now discussing how to get back there again.

Cobrakai kept watch over the coupes while I wandered...

These roadsters made a great presentation of the Post Office.

My favorite plate:

"Coupes are for girls, too" This young lady will probably be driving her husbands Gen 3 in two years.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 05-06-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Removed extra IMG tags

Post Thanks / Like
    After the Cruise In, a group gathered for a beer and dinner on Main Street to watch the traffic and engage in some lively discussion. Here Karen and David are emphasizing a technical point in the conversation.

[IMG][/IMG]

The next day, we headed out from Temecula to St. Louis. Mike Moen had previously sent me the travel package pictured below in order that I wouldn't have to make so many pit stops. I chose instead to decaffeinate myself and Mark restricted me to one coffee a day.

[IMG][/IMG]

The trip from Temecula to St Louis was 1832 miles. Used 89.4 gal of fuel. So, 20.49 miles per gallon. The first 150 miles Mark was tuning the EFI as I drove. At one point, I could feel the car surge with one of his adjustments.

We had some tail wagging in the steering as well as some aluminum drooping from the radiator shrouding. Stopped to fix that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Amazing thing. Needed to tighten rear nut on wheel bearing. Guy came by , asked what we were doing, he went home, got us a jack, sockets, cardboard, and a towel. He said "keep the jack, everyone needs a jack when they are on the road".

Ultimately, got back on the road and headed to Phoenix. From Phoenix , took Hwy 87 and 260 to Holcomb. What a beautiful drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the AZ hwy portion.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got behind schedule and I had to threaten Dougherty because I was determined to get to Tucumcari NM. (We did at 2 AM)

[IMG][/IMG]

Sometime the next day, we hit the Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo TX. Here are the Blues Bros at Cadillac.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ultimately, made it to Springfield MO. Mike Moen had us stop at his house, put the coupe on his lift, realigned the rear end, tightened the shocks, fed us dinner and put us up for the night. Mike, buddy, thank you immensely. We owe you big time.

Here are the two coupes in Springfield.

[IMG][/IMG]

After this final adjustment, the car ran straight as an arrow(1/2 mile at 85 with no hands). Only thing left is to rebalance the tires.

Rerouted ourselves through Missouri because of the flooding on the Interstates. So, got to STL at noon the next day.

All in all, it was a great trip! :smile2:

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks For Posting These Trip Pics!

I'm sure everyone is enjoying them as much as I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic Bob---good color choice Thanks for the report as well as the real time updates from you and Mark via text and FB along the way! Are we gonna' see you at the London Show in June?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    Amazing thing. Needed to tighten rear nut on wheel bearing. Guy came by , asked what we were doing, he went home, got us a jack, sockets, cardboard, and a towel. He said "keep the jack, everyone needs a jack when they are on the road".
    Love this. Lots of good people out there!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool Road Trip Bob & Mark!
    Can't wait to see the coupe up close, looks great!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing the road trip adventure! Glad you didn't need to use the "porta potty"! Seriously, though, only thing better than a road trip in a coupe ... is a road trip in a coupe with Mark Dougherty as a copilot!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob Hassett
    thanks for the opportunity to do yet another great drive across this great country. It is always fun to get together with you and your family. FFR cars are made by us to be driven.
    I am glad you are not one of those people who gets hung up on the it may get scratched thing. Drive the wheels off it and then restore it 20 years from now.

Jeff Miller
    Thanks for knocking another great paint job out of the park, and letting us us the assembly shop for a couple days. I really enjoyed dinner with your family.
    I really look forward to us getting together every opportunity we have.

Dave Hodkins
    what can I say you rock bud opening your house to all these car guys and putting on a great BBQ thank you.

Mike Moen
    Thanks for putting us up over night and letting us use the lift, the tools, the beer, and helping to plan our alt route home to ST.louis. Tell Cheryl I gave Wanda the Dog rescue info.

Dave Smith
    &
    All of FFR
    That show was to much fun. So many great people to catch up with. all those great cars to see. That wonderful weather.
    I hope I helped sell a couple cars for ya.

Mark Stackler and I are talking about driving our cars out Jeffs this Fall and Getting them painted.
    then pick them up for the Huntington Beach show next year and drive them back.

Garry lets get on it Order that coupe kit so we can do the same Road trip together.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great adventure. Thanks for sharing and great meeting you!

Post Thanks / Like
    This was great! I loved the road trip photos. My goal is to take my roadster to the west coast, too. Just need to finish it!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob andMark,

What a fantastic adventure! I REALLY want to do a cross-country drive in my FFR someday! You guys made it seem like it was a trip not to miss!

I'm glad y'all had a good time at the BBQ. Make sure to tell all those easties what they missed!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)