BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Wipers

For those of us that need them, where have people bought them from? Or are people just using the Factory Five unit? Any help is appreciated.

Mike.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used the FFR wiper setup.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the FFR setup also

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five unit in mine. You can also get everything here.

https://www.**********accessories.co...rchterm=Wiper#

Post Thanks / Like
    I've installed the FF Roadster wipers three times. They're not up to the standards of modern wipers. They are reproductions of the vintage 60's Lucas wipers. Need I say more? I've seen several builds where guys worked real hard to get something else installed. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Plus depending on what else you have in your build (heater, etc.) that area under the cowl can get pretty busy. The FF wipers don't take much space and there's quite a bit of flexibility where you can mount the motor. I've only had to use mine in actual battle conditions a few times. They work. Not great, but not the most important thing to worry about at that point.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just A Thought From The Swamp!

Today I was helping a friend with a 1968 VW Beetle, basically handing him tools because I've got a pinkie problem that is on the mend, but I noticed how simple everything was on that car.
    The wiper assembly was minimal and it would be interesting if we could fashion a better wiper set up for our cars using the parts shown below:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/1119552...FRa1wAodXnkPjQ
    http://www.jbugs.com/product/40711.html
    http://www.jbugs.com/product/111955408D.html
    http://www.jbugs.com/product/113955113D.html

Sorry to throw this out, but I too am less than impressed with the Lucas style wiper set up.
    Again, this is just is thought from the Swamp!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others, use the FFR units cause the kit is designed for your car and is relatively easy to install. That will make you legal for registration. Once registered, forget about the wipers and use a generous application of Rain-X on your windscreen. I've been caught in some storms and the Rain-X works very well at highways speeds. I've only used the wipers a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Like others, use the FFR units cause the kit is designed for your car and is relatively easy to install. That will make you legal for registration. Once registered, forget about the wipers and use a generous application of Rain-X on your windscreen. I've been caught in some storms and the Rain-X works very well at highways speeds. I've only used the wipers a few times.
    I've got th FFR wiper set up too; however, a better option would be a wonderful upgrade.
    It is sort of like adding a 6th gear the equation or other nice to have upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR wipers can be fine. Mine are 12 yrs old. There is some bending of the wheel box sheet metal that you can do to tighten up the fit of the cable to the gear. Be sure to have gradual bends in the tube so the cable run is straight through the gear box and the curve is in the tubes. Also be sure to use plenty of white grease on the cable so the inside of the tubes is well coated.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've got th FFR wiper set up too; however, a better option would be a wonderful upgrade.
    It is sort of like adding a 6th gear the equation or other nice to have upgrades.
    If you already have the FFR setup, then my recommendation is use it. The later versions from FFR are significantly improved from the earlier ones. The biggest issue seems to be getting the proper mesh between the moving cable and the wheel boxes. Previous versions often required "adjustment" that CraigS mentioned and wasn't easy or often very successful to keep them from slipping or jamming. I know. I tried. The wheel boxes that came with #8674, that appeared to be from a different supplier, meshed perfectly and the wipers work just fine right out of the box. The bigger issue IMO is that the Roadster windshield is relatively short by modern standards, meaning the wipers themselves are pretty small, which in turns mean the area cleared by the wipers is also pretty small. A different wiper setup isn't going to change that. The VW option you showed, aside from not even being all the parts required and probably ending up being pretty expensive, would be a lot of work to get installed and working. The payback doesn't warrant the effort IMO and I'm not sure how it's really an upgrade. Use the FFR wipers, use Rain-X as recommended (works great BTW and use it on both sides), keep an eye on the weather forecast especially if running without a top, and spend your time and hard earned money elsewhere. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much what Craig and edwardb said...it's kind of a monkey motion setup but works (minimally ). I'll add one tip---don't turn them on with a dry windshield and if you must (like while setting them up) put a paper towel between the blades and glass.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I don't necessarily want the wipers, but they are required by the state. Good information as usual from this bunch.

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Pretty much what Craig and edwardb said...it's kind of a monkey motion setup but works (minimally ). I'll add one tip---don't turn them on with a dry windshield and if you must (like while setting them up) put a paper towel between the blades and glass.

Jeff
    Great Suggestion On The Paper Towel For Set Up!

Post Thanks / Like

They can work

I may be in the minority, but they can work, I'm using the FFR stuff, with aftermarket wheel boxes for a larger swept area.

This was a drive back from the DSCC Spring Cruise a week ago

https://youtu.be/srcA8T0qpvg

John
    Last edited by John4337; 05-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video, John. Had the old Lucas wipers in my Triumphs and they worked well for me. Would expect an updated FFR unit to be acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    I agree w Dave, in my state of Florida they are not even required for registration. I am just installing wipers to be period correct actually not, just for future issue elimination in case they are required for resale etc. I don't see what they can do that RAIN-X cant. I once drove a car from Chicago to Virginia using just Rain-X, and it worked better than wipers.

Looks like the VW setup uses a simple pusher rod instead of the worm gear thing I got w my wipers.
    Last edited by mcwho; 05-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sixty miles per hour kept my cockpit dry until I could find a bridge to stop under and install my top. Rain-X kept my windshield clear and fog free. I guess on a Cobra not used as a daily driver that would be sufficient. However, I would still want wipers if only for the resale issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the process of installing mine now. I've had an issue with clearance on the underside of the body with the post gear boxes. Edwardb recommended beveling the upper edge. That helped some but with the bedliner under there it just wasn't quite enough. So I bit the bullet and ordered the finish line post gear boxes and top pieces. Not cheap but the posts are longer and gives the needed clearance. Now if someone could tell me what plastic tubing is used to route the cable through that would help. The tubing from FFR doesn't work in my flaring tool. Just pushes it out. Got some steel fuel line and that works well but want to try the plastic tubing just see if it's any better.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    JRL,

I tried the plastic, no luck, it flexed too much, just didn't work. I ended up with copper tubing sized to just fit the cable, (I can't remember the size, 5/16th maybe?) and all the white lithium grease you can pack in there.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likewise with the copper tube. I bought the flexible kind that comes in a roll. It is easy to curve to match the cowl, and super east to flare without cracking, as the supplied aluminum one has been know to do.
    I had one side that skipped, even after doing the wheel box mods, and being extra careful to grease everything well. It really is an archaic design.
    The latest issue i had was in removing the wipers for painting the body. On one side the arm would not come off the pivot for love nor money. I ended up using some force to pry it off, and broke a piece of the cast spline at the top of the post, that the wiper arm base fits down on to...
    Now I need another wheel box..as I'm pretty sure you can't get that cast piece separately...(so if anyone has a spare?? hint hint..)

In the meantime I just left the posts sticking out of the cowl, and pray it doesn't rain..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    I'm in the process of installing mine now. I've had an issue with clearance on the underside of the body with the post gear boxes. Edwardb recommended beveling the upper edge. That helped some but with the bedliner under there it just wasn't quite enough. So I bit the bullet and ordered the finish line post gear boxes and top pieces. Not cheap but the posts are longer and gives the needed clearance. Now if someone could tell me what plastic tubing is used to route the cable through that would help. The tubing from FFR doesn't work in my flaring tool. Just pushes it out. Got some steel fuel line and that works well but want to try the plastic tubing just see if it's any better.
    Sorry you couldn't get the supplied boxes to work out. I've used the ********** ones before too and they're nice. Interesting that they're different than the FF ones. I've never compared them side-by-side. But then my FF wiper kits had parts from different suppliers each time.

Agreed the tubing FF supplies in their latest wiper kits isn't usable. Appears to be stainless and not annealed. I couldn't get a flare in it either. Even clamped as tight as possible in my Eastwood flaring tool.

I use plain old 5/16 steel brake line from NAPA. It bends and flares easily. Make sure the ends where you flare aren't constricting the openings. I touch them with a round file and the cable fits and slides perfectly. Load the cable up with white lithium grease during final assembly and they work fine.

Last edited by edwardb; 05-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wipers work fine. A little more sweep would be nice. I may have to put John's mod on my list.

For you Rain-X guys. I have used it from time to time. However, I find that with rain-x applied, the next time I clean it the windshield it is a streaky mess. It pretty much takes a dry paper towel to get the film off. Do you guys apply it every single time? Even at a gas station when cleaning bugs off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    The wipers work fine. A little more sweep would be nice. I may have to put John's mod on my list.

For you Rain-X guys. I have used it from time to time. However, I find that with rain-x applied, the next time I clean it the windshield it is a streaky mess. It pretty much takes a dry paper towel to get the film off. Do you guys apply it every single time? Even at a gas station when cleaning bugs off?
    I use Rain-X but only apply it occasionally. Whenever it doesn't seem like it's beading up the way it should. It is a little streaky to get off when you apply it. I find a micro fiber towel clears it up better than a paper towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ceramic coating on mine. In and out. Arctic Coating or Ceramic pro. Worth the money. Should help with fog as well since there is no heater. My windshield fogged up getting on a highway so I couldn't see going down the ramp and until I was out from under the bridge it didn't clear up. Scary moment. I should add that this is before I had the hard top on.
    Last edited by Angelo; 05-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    AC Bill, if you can wait for awhile till I get it finished I'll send you one.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    JRL,

I tried the plastic, no luck, it flexed too much, just didn't work. I ended up with copper tubing sized to just fit the cable, (I can't remember the size, 5/16th maybe?) and all the white lithium grease you can pack in there.

John
    Copper tubing was my choice also. Very easy to bend and cheap. Lots of lithium grease and the FFR wipers work like a charm. Having said that, I swear by Rainx and only use the wipers if it's raining too hard.

I'll be making the trek to London - OCC. No trailer for this kid. After all the time put into the build, for god sakes drive the damn thing. Just my own opinion.
    Last edited by Wylie Coyote; 05-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.