FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aviaid dry sump tank center v-band sealing problem

Post Thanks / Like

Aviaid dry sump tank center v-band sealing problem

I have an Aviaid dry sump tank (7.5 x 14) which I can't seem to get to seal completely around the center v-band seal. It has never sealed completely and I've taken it apart and tried a few times to determine the problem, but no luck so far. I've read that others have had similar problems, but there is no clear solution. I have the whole thing apart and cleaned up again and would like this to be the last time I have to deal with the slow leak. I sent an email to [email protected] a week ago asking for some suggestions, but have received no response. Please see the attached photos to clarify the situation of the v-band, o-ring, and top and bottom halves.

818Aviaid1.jpg818Aviaid2.jpg

I also noticed that the 7.5 x 14 tank pictured on their website, http://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/.../110-57520.gif, has a bolted flange around the center rather than the v-band clamp. I wonder if the flange is a newer or older design than the v-band. I'm considering taking this tank to a fabricator and having it modified to a flanged center seal. I am guessing that it may be cheaper to modify it to seal properly rather than replace it. Again, please let me know if you have any suggestions about getting this sealed. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Please let me know what you think or if you have questions.

Thanks,

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,
    Give John or Stephanie a call at 818-998-8991 Aviaid. (California time) I called them at least 6 times and they were always very responsive.
    I only opened my tank once to see the inside. No leaks for me.

After looking at your pictures, you might be missing the center section that holds the gasket.
    There was also some light grease on my gasket. See second picture below.
    Bob
    tanks3.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-08-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    Thanks for the helpful response. I do have the center section, but I left it out of the picture. I will scrutinize the part that the center section may play in sealing the o-ring and give your contacts a call.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    We had to clean mine, use rtv on the o-ring then sandwich it back together letting the rtv set. It was leaking from the seam. Once we did that no more leaks.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have to use black RTV on the gasket to make it seal
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, that settles it. I'm going to try the Permatex 82180 Oil Resistant Black RTV and see how it goes. Anyone have a torque spec for the v-band on this tank? I will probably call Aviaid to see if I can get that. I will update if I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes to the RTV, and don't over tighten the clamp, it just makes things worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the RTV has worked! I cleaned everything, reassembled the tank with black RTV, let it sit a few days, and then fired it up. So far, no leaks. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

-Mike