Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Amsoil Z-Rod Oil

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Amsoil Z-Rod Oil

Hey Gang,

Have any of you used Amsoil's Z-Rod Oils in your Flat Tappet cam shafted cars?
    I've used their motorcycle oils in my bikes for years, but never in my automobiles, opting for Mobile-1 instead.
    I am also looking at the old tried and true Valvolene (VR-1) Racing Oil as well.

Steve

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-08-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to check any "racing oil" additive mix. Most true race oils are not suitable for street use in a DD. Typically they are too light on detergent content & are meant for short duration fills.

Some oils are called racing oil for marketing reasons but are good for the street. Just makes it harder to sort out what to use.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run the Valvoline Racing oil and have for years. Any oil with ZDDP (?) should work but my engine builder recommended Valvoline.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I run the Valvoline Racing oil and have for years. Any oil with ZDDP (?) should work but my engine builder recommended Valvoline.

Ray
    I called Comp Cams & they suggested the Valvoline VR-1 oil after break in.
    They were not fans of using a full synthetic oil stating that most were too slippery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    They were not fans of using a full synthetic oil stating that most were too slippery.
    Wow, I didn't know an oil could be too slippery in an engine. In a trans, where the synchros can be less effective w/ too slippery oil, I understand from personal experience. But in an engine? About a year ago I installed my 408W w/ Comp Cams flat tappet cam. Used their break-in oil plus a can of break-in additive. At 200 mi, I changed to a name brand regular oil plus their additive. At 500 I changed to Mobil1 plus additive. Engine is fine after a season of autocrosses and about 3500 miles.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I wonder if that was the same tech who told me no one uses steel gears on distributers because no one manufactured billet cams ????.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Wow, I didn't know an oil could be too slippery in an engine. In a trans, where the synchros can be less effective w/ too slippery oil, I understand from personal experience. But in an engine? About a year ago I installed my 408W w/ Comp Cams flat tappet cam. Used their break-in oil plus a can of break-in additive. At 200 mi, I changed to a name brand regular oil plus their additive. At 500 I changed to Mobil1 plus additive. Engine is fine after a season of autocrosses and about 3500 miles.
    The Too Slippery Thing Blew Me Away Also!

Never thought an oil could lubricate too well.
    The tech then added that the ZDDP created a cushion between the lifter and the cam, but that it helped the lifter to rotate by giving it a little friction to spin up the cam ramp.
    I personally love Mobil products and prior to that ran the Exxon Uniflow way, way, way back in the day.

Now I'm Scratching My Head & Thinking Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-09-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using conventional Valvoline VR1 20-50 oil in three vintage flat tappet cam engines for years. I have also used Castrol 20-50 and added a bottle of ZDDP additive. I purposely converted to roller lifters in the 289 build specifically to get away from the worry about lobe wear/ ZDDP additives.