Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR#48 Race Report - NJMP Lightning May 5-7, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

FFR#48 Race Report - NJMP Lightning May 5-7, 2017

Rain, Race, and Time Trials.

NASA Northeast’s first event of the 2017 season kicked off this past weekend at NJMP Lightning race track. In attendance the usual ST2 contingency (although missing Pat McMahon, he is installing a dry sump oiling system) and also making a return to racing fellow FFR Challenge series driver Wayne Patterson racing his Ford 427ci powered FFR Challenge car in SU. Scott Chambers in his AIX Mustang also made the long haul from MA and paddocked with us.

Driving the long trip down from NH with me was my mom Mihaela, meeting us at the racetrack was crew chief Mark Dougherty and his wife Wanda. We were set for an exciting and productive weekend testing which size tires work best on the Daytona Coupe. The tire testing selection for the weekend were the old 245 Hoosiers, same as I ran on the Cobra, and 275 Hoosiers. Well, the weather decided Friday no slick tire testing. A massive storm system stretching the east coast rained buckets of water on us.

So, we hung out the entire day Friday entertaining ourselves in the RV.

Wayne, Mark and Wanda.

The rain coming down.

Saturday brought much better weather, although it threatened to have pop-up showers throughout the day. Carl Thompson, a fellow FFR Challenge series racer came to spectate and hang out at the track. It was awesome to get the Northeast crew back together! Brings back great memories.

Me, Carl, and Wayne (shortest to tallest)

I changed my Friday test day entry to run Time Trial Saturday/Sunday so I was very busy on track trying to make up for the lost tire testing time. Early on I went out on old 245 tires, getting familiarized with the track, and setting a respectable time. Practice went without issue, Wayne in the Cobra matched my times in the session! We compared data and Mr Horsepower (Wayne) was 10 mph faster on the straightaway then me in my car, a whopping 150 mph. Scott Chambers in his Mustang got towed in after practice with a broken rear end. His day was done, packed up and towed back north to MA.

Qualifying on new 275 tires mid day was hectic with people scrubbing tires and coming to a complete stop at the start of the session, then fellow ST2 competitor John Gatzemeyer spinning with me and Doug Winston trying to avoid him, unfortunately Doug and John got together along with the metal barrier. Even with all the chaos I managed to better Adrian Wlostowski’s time putting my car on pole, Adrian 2nd, Mike Kuna (new addition to ST2) 3rd, Mark Petronis 4th, Alan Cohen 5th getting disqualified after the session for some reason. John and Doug both had cars to fix and missed the race Saturday. Wayne starts 4th overall in between the ST2 field.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Race started off very slow and a super late green flag had me in the lead for 3 laps, then Adrian came to play. Back to the usual shenanigans racing side by side on the straightaway, turn 1 – 4 inches from each other! Its good to be back in a race car racing hard with Adrian, picking up where we left off last year, back at it again. Unfortunately for me it was a Corvettes kind of day, Adrian passed me and slowly made up 1-2 car lengths each lap. In my mirror looming large was Mark Petronis, eventually passing me in turn 7. We finished with Adrian 1st running a fastlap of 1:09.492, Mark 2nd with a 1:09.459, me 3rd with a 1:10.206, Mike 4th with a 1:11.040, Alan 5th running a 1:11.8. Wayne won his class in SU with a 1:11.017.

Post Thanks / Like

After the race we all went through tech and scales, and I was over 150lb over my minimum weight! Time to try something else, more power and raise my minimum weight. Hopefully that will give me the extra umph to keep up with those pesky Corvettes.

Chris Allen was also at the track in his BMW E30, starting on pole for his race, and winning it overall Saturday.

After the race NASA Northeast put on a great BBQ and awards ceremony.

I got 2nd place in Time Trial 2 class

and 3rd in ST2 race

Mark clearly not happy with 2nd with his ‘game’ face on! Adrian and I.

Chris’s podium.

Sunday lineup for Time Trial in the first session, this time heavy with a full tank of gas and with more power trying to see if that will be the winning combination. I have to keep remembering this is a brand new race car. It will take this year to sort it all out, find the optimal setup/parts combination.

Unfortunately engine issues caused me to get towed into the paddock and with that I was done for the day. Packed up the car in the RV and headed home.

Adrian won the race Sunday, leading every lap, and setting the fastest time overall in the race. Mark 2nd and Alan 3rd, Mike 4th, John got his Corvette fixed for the race and finished 5th, John Robbins in his Evo finished 6th.

Chris in the E30 class lost to Rob Casella by .044 seconds in a photo finish with Rob a bumper ahead of Chris.

The next event for me is in 2 weeks at VIR for Hyperfest 2017 where I will participate in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine’s Ultimate Track Car Challenge in the Daytona Coupe, along with fellow FFR cars 818R and Challenge cars. It will be great to have all FFR cars under 2:00 minute lap at VIR, that will be huge! Factory Five will be there with their big rig, and NASA-MA has organized a Cobra Corral for street cars. I cannot wait to see everyone there.

Pictures from the weekend: http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...?/category/398

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great report John. Questions: Engine issues? Verdict on the 275 tires?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Great report on the weekend! Gotta get those Vettes! Keep on charging.

Thanks,
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad about the engine issues John, great story!
    Video's are cool too, keep them coming.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Good videos. I noticed that when your oil temp hit 263 degrees your oil pressure was dropping to low 30s and even 29 psi in the long carousel before the straight. That can't be good for longevity I would think. Is the oil getting too hot for the dry sump to maintain pressure? Or is that an acceptable pressure in those circumstances?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil pressure is based on rpm even with dry sump. At 4000rpm hot oil pressure is around 30psi, but then at 5000+ it goes up to 40-50psi even with oil temps in 260deg. Technically the rule to follow is 1psi for every 100rpm, so at 4000rpm, 40psi is enough. What I am unsure of is cold or hot oil temp.

In any case I should up the pressure by 10psi just to be on the safe side, will do that for VIR for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John,
    You mentioned you had engine problems on Sunday ? Hopefully nothing to serious.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, broken crank. It snapped at the end of the balancer. The engine came from a wrecked F150 that hit head on into a telephone pole. I think in the hit the balancer got nicked in the impact weakening that part of the crank. I buy it and rev it to 7000rpm all the time, eventually it broke!

Not to worry, I picked up a replacement engine (this time it desnt look like truck it came out of smashed a telephone pole) and Mark, Brendan and I put it in Saturday (2 days ago.) We are all set for VIR this coming weekend, car runs once again.
    Last edited by johngeorge; 05-15-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    Jeff, broken crank. It snapped at the end of the balancer. The engine came from a wrecked F150 that hit head on into a telephone pole. I think in the hit the balancer got nicked in the impact weakening that part of the crank. I buy it and rev it to 7000rpm all the time, eventually it broken!

Not to worry, I picked up a replacement engine (this time it desnt look like truck it came out of smashed a telephone pole) and Mark, Brendan and I put it in Saturday (2 days ago.) We are all set for VIR this coming weekend, car runs once again.
    John,
    Good thing their are hundreds of thousand wrecked f150 s out their.
    I got my two Forklift motors out of a junkyard in Atlanta . Ones people junk is our gold.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I love watching your track videos. The car looks like it is tuned very neutral. It looks very stable. I do not see it getting upset through any transitions. Even when your mixing it up with the Vette and getting aggressive it looks very composed. It's really impressive how well sorted it is so soon into the season. Even more so considering the heroic build timeline.

I haven't read through your entire build thread so a couple of quick questions. Did you swap in Mustang intake cams? Do you think that .5psi extra compression would change the power/torque curve enough to increase exit speed from the corners. I ask because I really, really want to see you pull away from the Vette. LOL! The only place I see you loose ground to him is at the beginning of every straight. The car looks like it can put more power down in those sections if the engine had it or could rev a little more freely. I would love to see your times at max HP tune with max tire on the car!

Enough Monday morning quarterbacking from me. I haven't been on a track in years. I just get very excited to see how well you are doing. Much respect for your build and driving skills!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not changed anything in the engine to bring it to Mustang specs. It is just as it came out of the junkyard. The engine makes 365rwhp as is, and that is exactly what I need per rules to be legal in my class. No need to go higher HP.

Trust me, I'd love to see what the car can do with 500RWHP but that is not in the plan. NASA ST2 is where I want to be currently, and that has weight/power of around 8:1.

Thanks for the props!