Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has it already been seven years?

Post Thanks / Like

Has it already been seven years?

My God, I've had my MKIII roadster on the road for close to seven years now and it hasn't aged one bit. It hasn't gotten old at all. By that I mean that I get the same exhilaration now that I did on my first drive. The car looks as fantastic and draws just as much attention.
    It's like a time capsule of ecstasy.
    I say this as a word of encouragement to all those in the process of building.
    I LOVE FFR!!!

I'm in the Maryland area (near Columbia MD) and would love to connect more with others and go to more car events, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rome; 05-09-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger that, 5 years and 15,000 miles on mine
    Last edited by John4337; 05-09-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rome,
    I'm in northern va. I'm building mine now. Would love to see yours

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Rome,
    I'm in northern va. I'm building mine now. Would love to see yours
    Anytime, let me know when you can stop by or where we can meet in the middle and we'll arrange it. Forum members (CraigS) were great while I was building mine and I'd love to pay it forward.
    Last edited by Rome; 05-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Glen Burnie, building a Mk4 right now. I'd love to see your Roadster.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not too far, perhaps I can swing by one of these days. Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I get the same exhilaration now that I did on my first drive.
    It's like a time capsule of ecstasy.
    I say this as a word of encouragement to all those in the process of building.
    I LOVE FFR!!!
    Rome-

I love this post! I know others must feel similarly to you, but I think it is awesome that you expressed it!

I absolutely took this as a word of encouragement, and I appreciate it very much!

Very cool post; thank you very much!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pics!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still on my honeymoon with mine. Built 16 yrs ago and only 3000 miles on it after all those years. Then I bought it in August from that owner and put 1200 miles in one month. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Since David asked ....

A group shot of the base hotel parking lot for the DSCC Spring Cruise in Pensacola, Fl. Mine is the green one

IMG_2436.JPG

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love mine, not to many owners in southeast Louisiana.
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    I know how you feel Rome.
    Be seven years for me as well, since I first put my car on the road. I test drove the car for six years in gel-coat..

Getting a the new paint job last spring made the Roadster look brand new, but climbing behind the wheel every time, still gives me butterflies..

Post Thanks / Like

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Pics!

Will do ASAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Be seven years for me as well, since I first put my car on the road. I test drove the car for six years in gel-coat..

Getting a the new paint job last spring made the Roadster look brand new, but climbing behind the wheel every time, still gives me butterflies..
    You're kidding. I always assumed you were much more of a veteran back in the day when I first started posting. Your knowledge base is impressive. Wow six years gel-coat driving, I did one year, that means it's literally a brand new car for you, congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're very welcome.
    There will be frustrations and issues will come up, but I promise it's all worth it.
    Enjoy the process...

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Rome-

I love this post! I know others must feel similarly to you, but I think it is awesome that you expressed it!

I absolutely took this as a word of encouragement, and I appreciate it very much!

Very cool post; thank you very much!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    Since David asked ....

A group shot of the base hotel parking lot for the DSCC Spring Cruise in Pensacola, Fl. Mine is the green one

IMG_2436.JPG

John
    Sweet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    I'm still on my honeymoon with mine. Built 16 yrs ago and only 3000 miles on it after all those years. Then I bought it in August from that owner and put 1200 miles in one month. Lol
    That's awesome.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto, and I drove mine in gel coat for 3 years. Heck, I think I was holding the doors and trunk closed with DUCT TAPE for about 6 months!

Now, at ten years on, she fits like a tailored suit and drives like a dream. This past year I fixed her up to sell but in the end once she was "finished" (still need carpet or leather for the trans cover) the wife said "You finally finished it and NOW you want to sell? Why??"

"So I can build another."

She, uh, wasn't so keen on that idea..

She doesn't know I'm gonna build a new one anyway!!! SHHHHH!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto, and I drove mine in gel coat for 3 years. Heck, I think I was holding the doors and trunk closed with DUCT TAPE for about 6 months!

Now, at ten years on, she fits like a tailored suit and drives like a dream. This past year I fixed her up to sell but in the end once she was "finished" (still need carpet or leather for the trans cover) the wife said "You finally finished it and NOW you want to sell? Why??"

Is that the one in your avatar pic? Couldn't imagine getting rid of that baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    This past year I fixed her up to sell but in the end once she was "finished" (still need carpet or leather for the trans cover) the wife said "You finally finished it and NOW you want to sell? Why??"

Dave-

That's too funny! I think my bride would have a similar reaction, although I am not sure I could pull off the whole I am going to build it anyway thing! HAHA

So, is the Gen III Coupe next? It would definitely be my next one.

Regards,

Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ya got me thinking about how long it has been... it's now 20 years - since 1997 when I originally titled my ol'Mark I and it's still going strong. I'm Cleaning it up, and checking it over, as we get it ready to go to the Indy for the SAAC-42 convention. All I want is track time on the Indy track! And I'm signed up for all the track time they will allow me! No car show, no parties, just track time! We hope to post a facebook live video from the track IF we can get all the equipment to work right.
    I had no idea, no plan for the Mark I to be this much fun! Nor that the car would be this durable! Way back in the day, when I first built it there was a lot of noise in forums about these cars. They would not hold up to the "established" built cars already in the marketplace. They couldn't hold up as the price was too low. Well FFR proved them wrong! Mine is holding up better than some manufactured cars! It's been a fun, exciting, enjoyable, and relaxing (you see when driving, no top, wind noise in your ear, you can't hear a phone ring!) drive. And I plan to keep driving as long as I can!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    /Users/frantz/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2013/Oct 27, 2013/IMG_9241.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Button View Post
    Ya got me thinking about how long it has been... it's now 20 years - since 1997 when I originally titled my ol'Mark I and it's still going strong. And I plan to keep driving as long as I can!
    Dang Ralph, pretty soon they will be making replicas of your car..lol..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Have had mine MKIII on road for 7yrs. logged about 25,000 miles. Took a year off to rebuild it when that dang GMC truck hit me.....all is good..."Cobra Funs" every time I jump in!!
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    You're kidding. I always assumed you were much more of a veteran back in the day when I first started posting. Your knowledge base is impressive.
    Thanks Rome... Well I have been into Cobras for over 50 years now, and worked in the automotive business for 36 years. Also a Licensed Journeyman Mechanic & Licensed Journeyman Partsman, both which have helped build some knowledge, but I'm still learning new stuff everyday..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rome... Well I have been into Cobras for over 50 years now, and worked in the automotive business for 36 years. Also a Licensed Journeyman Mechanic & Licensed Journeyman Partsman, both which have helped build some knowledge, but I'm still learning new stuff everyday..
    Ha, now that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Charles, hit by a truck, what was that like? Was it as scary as it sounds?