BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedhut Fuel gauge?'s

Post Thanks / Like

Speedhut Fuel gauge?'s

I have two wires coming out of the fuel gauge: yellow / orange stripe and yellow / black stripe...the RF harness at the tank has a green gas sender wire and a black wire I assume to be a ground...which of the fuel gauge wires do I connect to the green gas sender wire? I am guessing the yellow / orange wire?

Also I don't have the plug in "program buttons" for the tach, clock or fuel gauges...I assume they are necessary? Called FFR and they referred me to Speedhut and could only leave a message with them. Any and all help is appreciated.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you will need the programming buttons. You can only get them directly from Speedhut. About $6 each. They are not lightning fast, but pretty good. Buy three. You will need two, one for the Speedo and one for the clock. You will use one to set the tach, but after that you won't need to leave it there. The third one is a replacement for the one you will inevitably break. Order three the first time and avoid paying a second shipping charge for the third one after you break one of the first two. (Ask me how I know!!)
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll answer my own questions:
    Per Speedhut, they provide one program button and expect you to use it primarily on the speedo...then temporarily as needed use it on the tach, clock or fuel gauge then place it back on the speedo...addn'al buttons are $8.75 + SH

Also, the two wires from the fuel gauge: yellow / orange is the sender feed and yellow / black is ground.
    Last edited by Jacob; 05-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get away with one button but as previously stated 2 or more are desirable. I was just reaching up and moving the one around as needed between the tach/speedo/clock. I decided during the build I had way to many times I needed to set the clock after disconnecting the battery for one reason or another. A dedicated one for the clock is nice to have.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Yes, you will need the programming buttons. You can only get them directly from Speedhut. About $6 each. They are not lightning fast, but pretty good. Buy three. You will need two, one for the Speedo and one for the clock. You will use one to set the tach, but after that you won't need to leave it there. The third one is a replacement for the one you will inevitably break. Order three the first time and avoid paying a second shipping charge for the third one after you break one of the first two. (Ask me how I know!!)
    Yes, they are fragile little suckers. (I don't have to ask how you know. I know.) I ended up making a small protective box around the back side of the push buttons. After a couple of attempts, I just got 4 more (after 2 fractures) and plugged them all in to each gauge. Hidden under the dash.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    ...I decided during the build I had way to many times I needed to set the clock after disconnecting the battery for one reason or another. A dedicated one for the clock is nice to have.
    Oh, you're going to have to get familiar with resetting the clock because, well, Speedhut After sending the clocks from two different customer cars back multiple times one owner gave up and replaced it with an oil temperature gauge and the other one simply ignores it (he says it's just like having period correct Lucas electrical components ).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh, you're going to have to get familiar with resetting the clock because, well, Speedhut After sending the clocks from two different customer cars back multiple times one owner gave up and replaced it with an oil temperature gauge and the other one simply ignores it (he says it's just like having period correct Lucas electrical components ).

Jeff
    Sorta thought the clock really isn't anywhere as necessary as an oil temp gauge anyway?
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    My speedhut Fuel guage would not sync correctly with my fuel talk. They repaired and replaced it for no charge, said it has a lifetime warranty.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can the speedhut gauges be easily swapped in to replace the standard silver plastic basic ones? Would like the classic look. Also the set I looked at, tach, speed, oil temp, oil press, water temp, fuel level & volts was near $1,000. Do they ever go on sale?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Maybe I will just unhook the clock and set it for 5pm. That way every time I park it is happy hour!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Can the speedhut gauges be easily swapped in to replace the standard silver plastic basic ones? Would like the classic look. Also the set I looked at, tach, speed, oil temp, oil press, water temp, fuel level & volts was near $1,000. Do they ever go on sale?

I looked at getting some custom made gauges from them. They are easily swapped. Also they don't show it on their website but they have an FFR font you can request if you desire. Not sure about sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Was going to go with the snake logo on the speedo/tach like on my dash. Standard black face with white euro numerals & pointer. All white items turning blue at night. Do they integrate with the RF harness?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    The clock in my 1964 Caddie works in a similar fashion... when it feels like it. Maybe Speedhut is just trying to be period correct.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    My clock is pretty good. I guess I got lucky.

I have on button on my under dash panel, That goes to a rotary switch on my fuse panel. Then a cable to each gauge. If I need to do anything besides the speedo, I turn the switch and hit the button. There is nothing special about the Speedhut button. Just a 1/8" jack and a normally open switch. You can build them all day long for a dollar with parts from Amazon. Assuming you know how to solder.

There warranty is great. My speedo went out after getting caught in a downpour. I told them I played U-boat commander with it, but they didn't care. They fixed it for free.