BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Issue: Battery acts like it is dead, but brand new?

Post Thanks / Like

Issue: Battery acts like it is dead, but brand new?

I have been getting the car ready for the summer here, and last night when I tried to start it, the gauges turned on and I hit the starter. Everything went dead. So I assumed the battery was dead. I charged it and later around 10pm it was done. I bumped the starter and the car rolled over. But, I didn't want to start it. It was late and the car is loud. But I turned on the lights, checked the speedo gauge miles, and shut it down and removed the keys.

Next morning, it did the same thing, no power!? So I went and got a new battery, But it's still will do the same thing. You can tell the gauges have power, but the volt gauge has not moved. You can slowly see the gas needle climb, but its not much power because the speedo isnt turning on to show the mileage. I tried to start the car and you can see the gauges react to the draw, but I don't even hear a click, just silence.

I checked main fuse, and ran a voltage meter and tested a few areas, I am seeing all 13.4 in the engine bay.

Any help or suggestions?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check your ground and positive leads because a poor connection can yield the actual voltage, but won't carry the load when you attempt to start the car.
    Also, consider tapping the solenoid, because they can Booger Up from time to time and often will free up and make a good connection if bumped a bit.
    If these simple steps don't work, have the battery load tested because you may have a new, but bad battery.

NOTE:.. Booger Up Is A Southern Technical Term For Malfunction!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-14-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! We use that term too up here in Wisconsin!

So I gave the starter and solenoid a good few wacks, but with no luck.

The most consistent result I can get is when I turn the key on and off a few times is that you'll see the green light up in the speedo. And after a few moments digital readout will show up. But as soon as I try to hit the starter or even turn the lights on everything on the dash goes dead. I''ve even plugged in my sweet kia to jump it, but no change.

IMG_20170514_194820.jpg
    IMG_20170514_194859.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check your ground to the frame and the ground to the block, then check your positive lead connections.
    If you have a battery switch, check those connections too, and possibly jump past it.
    After that, load test the battery at one of your local auto parts outlets.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem last year. We had the ground strap mounted to a place near the bellhousing And We assumed that the engine was getting a ground thru there or its many connections to the frame, WRONG !

It was definitely Boogerd Up

We installed the ground strap to one of the motor mounts and that did it. The path that the ground found before that was a braided hose that connected the power steering pump.
    Last edited by mcwho; 05-15-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, it was the kill switch!

I redid the ground wire connecting the battery to the frame and while under the car I could see the kill switch posts. I decided to connect the jumper cable to each. The car was back to normal, so I hope to pick up a new one today and put it in.

Thanks for the help everyone, it helped me track down the issue!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D FFR View Post
    Ha! We use that term too up here in Wisconsin!
    Glad you found the problem.
    I thought the proper term up there was OOFDAH
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Glad you found the problem.
    I thought the proper term up there was OOFDAH
    DB
    Correct. Followed by Yah' don't-cha-know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Don't get a cheap kill switch, like from HF, but get a good one. You experience reminds me of a similar problem I had with a HF kill switch years ago.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    A major manufacturer of construction equipment uses one like this:
    http://www.littelfuse.com/products/s...ches/2484.aspx

If it is good enough for medium size diesel starters it should be ok for our use.