FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Noisy lifters, what am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Noisy lifters, what am I missing?

Back ground - I converted the engine (1990 302) to carb from EFI. Went with TFI heads and cam, Edelbrock Intake, QFT carb and MSD Ignition system and new roller lifters. All went well, started easily and performed great. After one or two oil changes the lifters became noisy at start up and don't quiet down for up to 2 minutes?
    I use Motocraft filters, run 5-30W Castrol oil but the noise at start up still persists. So this weekend I decided remove the intake and the lifters, clean check and refit to see what the result would be. Firstly, I noticed that about half of the lifters had bled down, not unusual I know but why do some bleed down and others not? Anyway cleaned and re-installed, set the pre-load (half turn) which works out to be about 0.060" of the 0.250" lifter range.
    Fired up and still noisy as before!!
    Hopefully someone else has been through this loop and can help with some suggestions?

Cheers, John

I have posted on the 'other' forum also to broaden my chances of getting answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't trust donor lifters with a new cam so I installed a new set of Ford roller lifters. No noise with now 43K+ miles on motor. I change oil about every 3000 miles with Pennzoil 10W30. I'm sorry but have no helpful hint to cure your problem other than have somebody check your pushrod/rocker geometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are bleeding down even after a cleaning it's time for new lifters.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be your oil filter. I used to use Fram filters, until I had a start-up valve train noise issue on an Infiniti. That lead me to doing some research and I found out that Fram filters have very cheap drain back valves. I changed to a different brand and never had noise again. I am not sure about Motorcraft. I have had no issues with Wix, Mobile 1, or Purolater. Also keep in mind that any brand can go to cheap manufacturing at any time. The good stuff yesterday can be junk today.

Did you check your pushrod length when you changed the heads and cam?

Isn't 5w30 a little light for a 302? I run 10w30 on old school engines. 5w is usually for more modern engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Isn't 5w30 a little light for a 302? I run 10w30 on old school engines. 5w is usually for more modern engines.
    Actually the Ford service manual for the 1990 302 EFI, lists 5w-30 oil, as the preferred weight. I would also look at the filter first, and Purolator is a good choice.

I only hear some ticking, after the engine has been running hot for awhile. Quiet when cold. I have wondered if a heavier weight oil, like 10w-30 might help that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, appreciate the input.