FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Pad Adhesive Issues? whats best?

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Pad Adhesive Issues? whats best?

I completed my Dash in Nov and have not installed it yet but its all falling off and I need to take back apart and use some super duper Adhesive!!! the 3M crap I used last time was crap... What have you found to be the very best! TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you used, but regular contact cement (DAP brand) should work real well.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    You asked what is the very best, this is it:

Purpose made for automotive upholstery work. Bonds well and is made for high heat environments. I've used it on my last two builds and never had a failure. If you have something done at a professional automotive interior shop, guaranteed this is what they will use. It's made for spraying, and that's how the pros typically use it. But it can be brushed and still works great. You likely can't find it retail, but it can be mail ordered. Just Google for sources. Some guys go to their local shop and get some in a small container. They buy it in pails.

If you'd rather use something that's available retail, I've found the DAP Weldwood Gel contact cement works about the next best. But very important to use the gel version. Works way better than the regular stuff IMO. Doesn't soak in as much, sets up quickly, bonds well. For me locally it's available at Lowe's. Haven't found it elsewhere. Good stuff.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use the correct one?3M%20Capture.JPG
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You asked what is the very best, this is it:

Purpose made for automotive upholstery work. Bonds well and is made for high heat environments. I've used it on my last two builds and never had a failure. If you have something done at a professional automotive interior shop, guaranteed this is what they will use. It's made for spraying, and that's how the pros typically use it. But it can be brushed and still works great. You likely can't find it retail, but it can be mail ordered. Just Google for sources. Some guys go to their local shop and get some in a small container. They buy it in pails.

If you'd rather use something that's available retail, I've found the DAP Weldwood Gel contact cement works about the next best. But very important to use the gel version. Works way better than the regular stuff IMO. Doesn't soak in as much, sets up quickly, bonds well. For me locally it's available at Lowe's. Haven't found it elsewhere. Good stuff.
    X2 on the Landau Top and Trim. Sticks like none other. Really nasty stuff, make sure your work area is well ventilated. I wore a charcoal respirator when using it and brushed it on using chip brushes from Harbor Freight.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    The landau top and trim edwardb suggests is the way to go. Don't mess around with spray adhesive on this part of the build. I could only find it in a gallon but sealed properly, you will find later uses for it during the build process.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one area that I have learned not to use the FFR supplied stuff. The dash cover and foam is just to thick to fold over and glue. It always wants to be flat. I buy the foam pad separate from McMaster-Carr and the cover from Jo-ann fabrics. I put the self adhesive foam on first. I then cut it to size along the edge of the dash. No overlapping. Then install the vinyl with 3M adhesive. #90.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did my dash pad last night. I used 3m #90. I noticed that you need to really let it get tacky before folding over vinyl. We will see how it handles the heat

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    X2 on the Landau Top and Trim. Sticks like none other. Really nasty stuff, make sure your work area is well ventilated. I wore a charcoal respirator when using it and brushed it on using chip brushes from Harbor Freight.
    Double Ditto On This Product!

Try a test piece first and if you need another dash pad, then let me know because I've got one if you need it.

You'd just need to pay for the shipping.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use the landau top and trim for the carpet installation too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Do you use the landau top and trim for the carpet installation too?
    It works great for that. Just like any contact cement though, the bond is instant and permanent. Have the piece positioned exactly right before pushing into the adhesive. Works fine for smaller pieces. I prefer a more positionable cement for the large pieces.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use 3M #90 on mine & the transmission cover. Has stood upwell to daily driving in the southern summer & winters.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Use 3M #90 on mine & the transmission cover. Has stood upwell to daily driving in the southern summer & winters.
    Likewise 5 years + and no issues at all with the #90 product.

You need to clean the aluminum with acetone, and rough it up with some coarse sandpaper, for better adhesion.

Post Thanks / Like
    The landau top cement is by far the best