Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 long trips

Post Thanks / Like

818 long trips

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    In Dave's Huntington Beach recap, that was my white coupe checking in with the caption "818 Gen 2". I had never heard the 818 Gen 2 term before, but my car is an early 818S (frame #25) plus the hard top and the new front. So, maybe the hard top and new front make it a "Gen 2". Or, I've got a "Gen 2 Clone"? Whatever, I'm having lots of fun in the garage and on the road. BTW, 850 miles round trip to H.B. with no hiccups at all with most miles on cruise control at 80mph with average 25.5 mpg.
    Hey Pete,
    Congrats on your long trip to Huntington Beach.
    What are the important mods you made to your 818 that were necessary to gain that level of reliability?
    Also, what do you feel was necessary for comfort on that trip?
    Thanks
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That beautiful interior of his probably helped!
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I was nervous the entire way and only relaxed once my house was in sight on the return trip! The 818 is certainly not a highway cruiser with stiff suspension and road noise but cruise control and audio made the trip bearable. And, of course, the hard top is much more comfortable than pounding wind, scorching sun and loud exhaust of a roadster. What mods for reliability? Almost no mods. I've stayed close to stock because Subaru has designed in a lot of reliability and I've only changed intake, exhaust and emission controls. But, my 818C is a strictly-street car and your needs are much different. Fortunately for you, your knowledge and experience is far above my level also.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Kidney belt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Bob, I was nervous the entire way and only relaxed once my house was in sight on the return trip! The 818 is certainly not a highway cruiser with stiff suspension and road noise but cruise control and audio made the trip bearable. And, of course, the hard top is much more comfortable than pounding wind, scorching sun and loud exhaust of a roadster. What mods for reliability? Almost no mods. I've stayed close to stock because Subaru has designed in a lot of reliability and I've only changed intake, exhaust and emission controls. But, my 818C is a strictly-street car and your needs are much different. Fortunately for you, your knowledge and experience is far above my level also.
    Thanks Pete,
    We have been on 100 mile trips. Ours being street/track car 350/500 springs has not been to bad as harshness. We run 40 series tires with 20 psi cold. (28 hot)

As far as engine noise goes, they measure us in low 90s db at the track at 50 feet. (full cat, no muffler, td04 turbo) it is bearable on a long trip. My son wants it louder. We can talk to each other while cruising, no problem. Car is very quiet at idle or cruising. Loud at WOT.

The wind and noise really isn't an issue with full windshield. got to have the seats very low to get your head low.

We are thinking of some kind of bimini top as a sun shade would be nice for track or street.

We have no radio or HVAC.

I feel you definitely need the mod that make the coolant system self bleeding.
    Mod to bring intake air from outside, do not get it from engine bay.
    My opinion, AWIC or FMIC is required for turbo cars.
    A good INSULATED SEALED firewall between engine and cockpit is also very important for long trips.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, I thought engine mods were the point. I have no internal engine mods but I have Wayne's cooling system mod, a second firewall between gas tank and engine, a sealed intake air box that draws outside air, a Boig exhaust with muffler and resonators, insulation everywhere, door & window seals, and power steering. A big "mod" is A/C since I drove in 85 - 90 degree weather. My new intercooler plenum brings lots of outside air to my TMIC, so it's good for street use. Regarding exhaust noise, I can't help you with Michael, who wants it louder, so you are on your own with that problem.
    Last edited by AZPete; 05-16-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested to hear of any progress on a "bimini" top. I have been thinking of having someone custom build a toneau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I am interested to hear of any progress on a "bimini" top. I have been thinking of having someone custom build a toneau.
    working on it

add 3/16 aluminum strip under top edge of windshield. Snaps across this plate to attach front of top

Extending the roll bar a bit wider, curved on the top to match the windshield and covering it with .050 aluminum. Adding add'l support to make it stiffer on the front edge. Mounting with two 1/5 inch aluminum clamps 2.5 wide

Spring loaded bars from the edge of the windshield back to the roll hoop covering, probably 4 of them. They will be attached to the roof fabric by velcro loops, wrap and tighten to hold the top shape

top extends back to the sides of the humps at the rear edge. Straps use buckles to tighten and fastek fasteners.

flaps past the rods on the sides should allow zip in windows

I work slow...
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 05-17-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with working slow as long as the quality is good. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Your plan for the Bimini top sound similar to the FFR top. IMHO the top will need some support from the wind shield to the roll bar like you propose. The Miata style top discussed a few years ago (http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ghlight=Bimini ) IMO won't be adequate because the windshield isn't structural.
    I like the way the FFR top fastens to the windshield though, does anyone know how the hardware is attached to the windshield ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine will be like that Bikini top with the addition of the support bars. We need to widen the roll bar as it is waaaay to narrow and getting it up an inch or so helps with headroom. It's just easier to attach the front with snaps on a flat extension. That will also work as a rain rail.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I like the way the FFR top fastens to the windshield though, does anyone know how the hardware is attached to the windshield ?
    I believe they are nothing more than some self-tappers/sheet metal screws.

It's probably fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I don't like about the FFR supplied soft top is the reduced access to the engine cover. I like to be able to get access to the engine quickly when necessary.