Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Harness trough tunnel

Post Thanks / Like

Harness trough tunnel

Hi

Has anyone used a tube or other confining ties to attached wiring to the inside of the trans tunnel. I am not sure how much room I will have. I am still assembling the motor and I don't have the trans yet (using a T-56Mag). It is kind of a dilemma looking at all those wires and figuring where to run them. I guess I will just Zip tie everything until I find out if the wires can stay or need to move for some reason. I am combining a Fast EZEFI harness with an HYfire ignition box and Factory 5 harness. Any tricks, Ideas, or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Take my comment with a grain of salt as I have not even received my Hot Rod yet. (being delivered next week) But my concern would be if there was a failure in the transmission or the drive shaft that it could rip the wires out and cause even more damage to be repaired. I know that if you crater a tranny or lose the drive shaft there will already be a ton of things that will have to be fixed. Just having the wires there may allow them to be not only cut by ripped out of where ever they are attached. (Sensor or computer)...

Just my .02

Tim

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if I were to put a tube in, it would be low between the frame tubes along the E-brake side for the rear harness. The tranny wiring can just use a heat reflective loom and attach to the tranny at a couple points like the Mustang harness. Robust, but never permanent, for wiring is my philosophy. The biggest wad is at the bell housing and I left mine intact for future changes, but it really needs some stuff removed once your confident of approach. The only pieces I am not happy with is the what I refer to as the Cobra section of the Ron Francis kit. My biggest recommendation is to NOT follow the manual with the guage mounting and get all of your gauges and switches on one plate if you can. This lets you pull the dash harness and gauges as a unit. The 33 is truly an afterthought in this area of the harness. This also helps with master cylinder maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    As pointed out by erlhemi, the hot rod harness has a lot of extra wires used for the Cobra only. I ended up removing most of what was not needed and used a SoCal dash insert to hold my gauges. This now provides easy aces under my dash for servicing if needed. My build has a 4.6 3V engine that required a lot of wires to be routed to the computer, To save room under the dash I installed the computer in the trunk and ran the chassis and fuel injection harness on top of the transmission tunnel which is hidden with my console. I figured this would protect the wires from road hazards as well as provide easy access to the wires if needed. I also made sure that all splices were soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing were also located within this same area. I tried to use a conduit to hold the wires, but ran into interference issues around my shifter. Instead I kept everything neat using tie wraps. I am using a 4R70W transmission with the Lokar shifter which may take up more room than a manual transmission. I made room under the console glove box to house the transmission controller and Classic Instruments speedometer interface module.