Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E brake handle help

Post Thanks / Like

E brake handle help

Does anyone know how to rewind the cam on the emergency brake handle? I believe that is what you call the spring inside. When I pull the handle up it does not work and I am being told I need to recoil it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I recall, before installing the e-brake (donor Mustang) I put the mechanism in a vice, and pulled the cable-T out as far as I could. This winds up the spring and puts the cable under tension. While holding it out, I slipped a nail into the hole on the housing which corresponded with the hole in the cable reel. This locks the cable in full tension.

Then, after installing the e-brake, and connecting the rear brake cables to the T, you pull the nail out. The cable still under tension from the coiled spring, then rewinds the cable slightly, and applies some tension on the e-brake cables. Not enough to cause them to apply the brakes of course, but removes all the slack, so the system works more efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say more efficiently mine does not work at all. Did yours work before you performed the above?

Post Thanks / Like
    I performed that particular step, as I was building the car, so there was no "before"..If you don't pre-tighten the spring before hooking up to the rear brake cables, you will have way to much cable slack for the system to work.
    Now this is me presuming you have a ratcheting type, donor e-brake mechanism. If you have one of the FFR supplied, or aftermarket ones, like Lokar, my instructions may not work for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a donor. Thanks for the further explanation. I will give it a go this weekend.