FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sidepipe alignment issue

Post Thanks / Like

Sidepipe alignment issue

Installed passenger side last night, almost perfect parallel to frame. This morning I did driver side and the pipe shoots off and widens out at the exit. My first impulse was to push or "pull in" with tie down. I'm thinking now to "surface" the flange at slight angle to bring in closer to frame. any suggestions ? thanks in advance

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Breeze Automotive sells angled shims to fix these type of problems. I have used them on many MK4 builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can shift the engine angle a little at the transmission mount. A little angle goes a long way with the pipe ends. But you said one side was good. Angling in a little seems to look fine, so maybe you can get enough. The two sides can be a little different as you can never see both at the same time.

Breeze makes wedges. Besides that, it is likely best left to a machine shop to mill that angle in. Unless you have a Bridgeport in your garage.

If you pull the pipe in with a tie down, the likely result is a broken header. I have seen two broken headers from not installing hangers. One was mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get concerned until the body is adjusted and in it's final position. In the end parallel to the chassis does not necessarily equate to parallel to the body, especially on the drivers side.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Don't get concerned until the body is adjusted and in it's final position. In the end parallel to the chassis does not necessarily equate to parallel to the body, especially on the drivers side.

Jeff
    Good point. I wasn't thinking body off.