BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818C for daily and distance?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 818C for daily and distance?

Hey FFR family,

Looking for advice. I'm considering an 818C build off an AWD WRX, but need to know if (or how) it can meet my intended goals.

The idea is to build a fun, nimble, and capable daily driver that can also do multi-state travel relatively comfortably (about 8-10hours of driving a day). I haven't seen a trunk mod, so I toyed with the idea of a removable rear or roof luggage rack when needed. This wouldn't be a track-day car, just something exceptionally fun, personal, and unique. I put a hard pause on motorcycles about two years ago, and this would fill that void.

I know A/C is doable, how about ABS? Historically, how do 818Cs handle weather and snow?

I appreciate your advice and input.

-Mike

Edited to remove AWD, misread somewhere that it was an option.
    Last edited by 87Seph; 05-19-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, my 818C has A/C, ABS, power steering and other "complexities", but no 818s have AWD. I'm currently building a trunk that is as big as possible while not encroaching on the hatch window, but is only 9.5" x 10.5" x 44" so pack very light. You mention fun, personal, nimble, and unique and the 818 delivers all of that, but I want you to be realistic about the multi-state, 8-10 hour days. I recently drove 425 miles to the Huntington Beach show, and 425 back, and it was not too uncomfortable with frequent stops to stretch. It's not a smooth freeway cruiser, but you feel every pebble through the track suspension. I have encountered only one very light rain sprinkle, which was okay, but I'd never want to try this high-HP/short-wheelbase machine in snow. Never.

I should have capitalized Fun, Nimble and Unique! Did I mention Fun?
    Last edited by AZPete; 05-19-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input! I'd misread early on and though AWD was an option, just edited that out. How "complex" were the "complexities" to include in the build?

Do you have pictures or a thread build? Definitely interested to see your (compact) trunk and overall project.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I'm not as experienced as many on this forum and consider myself only a shade tree mechanic who can read. On most systems, especially electronics, I'm so scared that I read, study, plan and re-think. I think it's fun to try to make my 818 drive and look like a production car, just to see if I can. For ABS, power steering, power locks and cruise control I just adapted the OE systems. For A/C, I used Vintage Air married to the OE compressor. Audio is just a matter of money. The interior was a lot of trial-and-error and perseverance while I learned. No welding, no lift, no big compressor, no big power tools, and no schedule. In my normal garage I've built 2 cars, learned some skills and had years of rewarding fun. I don't have a build thread because it's easier to find info by subject so I've posted where I think I have something to offer. Trunk? When it's done I'll post pics in the Body section, but there's no schedule on that either.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).