Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can you use donor A/C

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use donor A/C

Any parts needed ?

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure someone has tried it, but due to the size of the OEM unit, and the limited space in the Coupe, I think it would be extremely difficult. That's not saying it can't be done, just that using one of the smaller custom units would be easier, and in the long run, just about the same in cost.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking th same thing the only thing in the units you buy is a heat exchanger and blower or??? if this is true couldn't you fab a box out of alum. with the exchanger and blower??? I am sure you could not us the OEM unit but may be the blower and exchanger from it.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Willy,

Anything is possible with these cars, given the inventiveness of the builders, I feel it's just a matter of how much talent someone has in fabricating the needs pieces. The basic pieces of the AC are there, like the compressor, dryer, condenser, etc. you just have to figure out how you would adapt all of it to fit.

Richard Oben (North Racecars, Vendor here) has a a compact unit that most Coupe builders have used, and for it's compactness, performes very well. For $700, you eliminate all of the problems trying to make some thing fit, plus Richard provides great support for his products.
    http://www.northracecars.com/

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I like Richards unit, think I will go with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the one supplied by FFR. It is NOT the best. I've been meaning to post something about it. It keeps my barely warm in the winter and just off a sweat on days like today.

The fact that it has SEVEN air out lets ( 2 defrost, two heat, 3 cool ) just blows my mind. I do not have room for 7 hoses. Do I have to pull my dash twice a year to connect and disconnect the lines? Someday I would like to cut it open and re-design the box.

Just my 2 cents.
    geezer tom
    Built to be driven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Blue Horse! Its great geting info straight from the horses mouth! If you get my drift!