Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this correct?

I don't see how this is mounted in the manual, big surprise. It is part #80177, rear cockpit side cover. It is shown on the diagram on page 591 of the manual. I mounted it between the bracket for the door latch and the frame. Looks odd. Is this meant for the coupe? I'm building an S. Do I need to trim the top of the side sail to get it flush?

part41-b.jpgpart41-a.jpg

Thanks

Tom

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should be flush with the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could use a little clarification. Here are some different pictures. On the right side, without the side cover, the side sail fits really nice. On the left with the cover inserted, the side sail does not. Should I trim the side sail where my finger is pointing? I don't want to start cutting without some confirmation that it the right way to address this issue.part41-c.jpgpart41-d.jpgpart41-a.jpg

Tom

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically that part covers the gap when the rear hump panel is installed. So use that as your guide to make it fit so it looks and works like you want it to. When you set the rear panel in place it will be more clear to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut down the area where your finger is pointed so it didn't have that huge bow and the sail sit against the frame nicely. I also trimmed it a little so it's not sticking out into the doorway. However I had mine back further so there wasn't as much to trim off.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what mine look like. I've thought about adding a couple of small brackets to retain them a little better, but they are not bad as is.

IMG_9123.JPG IMG_9122.JPG IMG_9121.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great pictures. Makes me think maybe mine had the oval opening cut out wrong ( see new pics). I also measured the area where my finger was pointing and the left side was .25 inch deeper than right side, so I will trim that back. Looks like I need to make new holes in the cover so it lines up correctly. I don't see how I could have put them on wrong, but correct me if I have before they go under the knife.

Ben, I really need to come down and see your progress. Just need to make the time, its about a little over 2 hours down.

cover 1.jpgcover2.jpg

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed mine quite a bit, so my guess is they just left a lot of extra material to cover all the possibilities. I also added a strategic bend or two to help them better match the tubes of the chassis. I also was thinking that if you leave this piece long enough, it can cover the gap between the door and the body....which you can otherwise see through. Of course I did not think of this before I trimmed mine! It might not be thick enough material for this though, and I was concerned it might catch clothing and bend, etc.

818 door gap flange.JPG Sorry! Should have used blue line to denote area to trim. Hopefully you can see the red line that I used.
    Last edited by ben1272; 05-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, sure seems like a lot to trim. At least now I know I'm on the right track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question! Why trim the aluminum flush with the side sail on the top? Why not allow the aluminum to go underneath the top?

Also, any thoughts on how to seal this area so that the engine compartment air does not vent through this gap into the **** pit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, proceed at risk! I just sent my pics for you to see one way they could end up. In the end, I am sure you will think of an approach that will work for your tastes!

Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted these pieces (from the back) with the side sails on, trimmed them until they fit and then marked where to attached them to the frame - there was a good bit of trimming. Then I removed the side sails and drilled/rivnutted the attachment holes. Note that I trimmed these panels to clear the striker bracket. I also covered the seat belt hole since I'm using harnesses. Now the side sails fit right over these.
    IMAG1841.jpgIMAG1842.jpgIMAG1843.jpgIMAG1844.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Once that piece is installed does the factory carpet have a piece to cover it or is it exposed?