Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russ Thompson Turn Signal wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    So the extra green wire and the extra grey wire from each bundle go to the signal indicator wire on the right side of the distribution block?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    So the extra green wire and the extra grey wire from each bundle go to the signal indicator wire on the right side of the distribution block?
    You are making me realize how quickly I forgot all this stuff!
    I was not clear at all in that last description.
    The indicators are circled in blue on this diagram, but in our case, they actually go through the Ron Francis harness before they reach the actual dash lights.
    So all you really need to do is have all 3 of those wires attach to the same point on the distribution block

the wires on the right side of the distribution block at that location will come from the Russ Thompson turn signal.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

3. Likes 997 Turbo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to make you work so hard but thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Sorry to make you work so hard but thank you.
    Ha ha. Happy to help. Just gives me even more respect for guys like edwardb an Kleiner who seem to be able to rattle this stuff off like they just did it yesterday.
    I really found this wiring to be the most difficult part of the whole build, so it sounds like you are in the homestretch.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m almost there. On the left side of the diagram in between the two RF connectors. It says “to headlight switch feed 2” Is that a wire from Ron Francis or do I need to make that? If I need to make it where does it go to once it leaves the Distribution block. I’m using the factory five head light switch from the complete kit.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's located at the headlight switch plug from the RF harness. Just tie into it and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the turn signal part of the switch figured out...I think. Can someone share with me a wiring diagram for using the momentary button for the horn including the relay?

Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I have the turn signal part of the switch figured out...I think. Can someone share with me a wiring diagram for using the momentary button for the horn including the relay?

Thanks, Joel
    Post #82 above.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to keep beating an issue which for most people I assume is a very elementary electrical solution. I am trying to determine how to use the momentary button on the Russ Thompson turn signal switch to operate my horns. A relay is recommended in this circuit which I understand. However, in looking at the schematic and my fuse panel, a "horn relay" already exists there. My question is do I need an additional relay or is the one in the fuse panel sufficient? If it is sufficient it seems that I can simply connect the two, small black wires from the momentary button to the dash harness horn leads. Correct?

20180324_070414.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Sorry to keep beating an issue which for most people I assume is a very elementary electrical solution. I am trying to determine how to use the momentary button on the Russ Thompson turn signal switch to operate my horns. A relay is recommended in this circuit which I understand. However, in looking at the schematic and my fuse panel, a "horn relay" already exists there. My question is do I need an additional relay or is the one in the fuse panel sufficient? If it is sufficient it seems that I can simply connect the two, small black wires from the momentary button to the dash harness horn leads. Correct?

20180324_070414.jpg
    Yep. That would be OK. The RF harness has the necessary relay on the horn circuit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wiring up the Russ Thompson turn signal as shown in the wiring diagram in this post. There's one wire I'm confused about. There's a wire going to "headlight switch feed 2". What's the purpose of this? I powered up the system and everything works including the turn signals, the hazards and the high beam button on the steering column. Is this to allow me to flash my high beams without the lights being on?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ng View Post
    I'm wiring up the Russ Thompson turn signal as shown in the wiring diagram in this post. There's one wire I'm confused about. There's a wire going to "headlight switch feed 2". What's the purpose of this? I powered up the system and everything works including the turn signals, the hazards and the high beam button on the steering column. Is this to allow me to flash my high beams without the lights being on?
    Yes. Described for that purpose several times in this thread. I know it's long... Without it, everything will still work. You just won't get the flash to pass function. Which is kind of a waste because that one relay (the non-latching one) is there just for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    Thanks RickP
    I saw that one, but didn't really understand how those distribution blocks were set up. Are the inputs directly across from each other connected but the ones above and below isolated?

Any strong reason against just using butt connections with heat shrink?
    Hello,
    I've been following along here because we are at the same point in our build. A simple question: Looking at the Russ Thompson schematic, as shown in the post by "Rick P"... if you look at the circuit for the Left Turn signal we see a green wire (presumably carrying 12V) going to the distribution block, and from that point a wire going directly to the Turn Signal Indicator, and then to ground. A second wire from that point on the distribution block goes to the Russ Thompson assembly...but it appears to me that we already have a complete circuit to the Turn Indicator and then to ground...so, not sure why that light isn't constantly on.. I'm sure I'm missing something basic, here and hope someone can clarify-
    Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123