Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aluminum Panels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aluminum Panels

Just took the body off and Finished inventory. Would you mount and predrill all aluminum prior to doing anything else? I want to send them for powder coating. Anything before that?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Congrats on the start of your build. No, I would not recommend doing all of the mounting this early in the project, as having panels be removable will be helpful when installing certain parts. Also, note the order of installation, so that you don't end up making it difficult to get the rivet gun into place - i.e., don't install the rear cockpit bulkhead before the trunk floor.

Best method is to do all your fitting and drilling, but only use clecos to attach the panels temporarily so that you can work, then go back and rivet as late as possible in the process. Also, you only need a few clecos per panel - not one for every rivet hole.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the panels fitted and drilled before powder coat. I think that's your main question. Use clecos as mentioned during the process. The panels fit very well, especially if you're real careful about sequence and get the overlaps exactly as shown in the manual. It's makes a difference. You may need to tweak a couple bends or trim around some weld beads. But generally the panels fit very well. If you find one that's way off, look at the instructions again. Good chance you're installing it wrong. Once they're back from powder coat, be selective about what you mount permanently as already mentioned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    As Edwardb said, "FIT" and drill. Panels 31 & 32 (floor board panels) on my build were too tall where they meet the tunnel top cover. Make sure to check and trim before drilling. All else seems to fit ok.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike - You should also look up ThickCobra (Jay) on this site and see if you can drop by his place to check out his car. He go-karted it just a couple months ago and is currently doing bodywork. It'd be a great time to see what a complete and running chassis looks like so you can visualize what will be in the way of what during your build. He's located just west of Lake Geneva, so not far from you.

Also, I'd be happy to bring my completed car over for a visit - there's another guy Jeepurz (TJ) that is on the site and lives near Jay - that can help, too.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't have my panels powder coated (I sanded and gave them a brushed finish, then coated with Shark-hide), but I have heard that it is critical to remove any perm-marker lines, regardless of powder color, because they will bleed thru.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I'll have to look him up! If your ever near Wind lake, Stop on by!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I didn't have my panels powder coated (I sanded and gave them a brushed finish, then coated with Shark-hide), but I have heard that it is critical to remove any perm-marker lines, regardless of powder color, because they will bleed thru.
    Acetone and a cloth and they clean up really easy
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the MK4 is different, but there was occasionally some aluminum panel trimming needed on some of the top edges of the trunk inner panels. This would ensure the body would sit down properly. It was often done before the body came off for the first time. You didn't want the aluminum touching the body, and you needed to make sure there was adequate room for the bulb seal to fit, without it holding the body up.
    Being that bulb seal covers that top edge, it may not be so crucial that it be trimmed before powder coating.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I marked and drill my panels before disassembly. The only part I had figment issues was the footbox bottoms. I have a few additional rivets not holding anything just to plug holes. All visible panels that are painted worked out well. My panels were sanded, prepped, primed with aluminum etching primer, then sprayed with rustoleum hammered paint. The finish has been durable and easy to touch up. I have very few miles on the car so longevity will be determined later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too marked and drilled the holes on the panels before finishing them. One recommendation, make sure you have lots of clecos and assemble the whole section you are working on before drilling the holes. A small shift in one of the panels will knock a bunch of holes slightly out of alignment. Can be a little frustrating.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Norm B; 05-23-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just drilled the last panel and have them all ready for Powder coating. I'm taking them next week! A thanks to ThickCobra and Jeeperz for advice and inviting me over to see their shops! Very impressive! it got me really motivated to get going! Thanks also for the frame dolly. Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Makgecko2017 View Post
    Just drilled the last panel and have them all ready for Powder coating. I'm taking them next week! A thanks to ThickCobra and Jeeperz for advice and inviting me over to see their shops! Very impressive! it got me really motivated to get going! Thanks also for the frame dolly. Mike
    Maybe I'll swing by just for a peek either Saturday or Sunday morning. Let me know if either day works. As you know, we almost had Chris over but the weather was rather sketchy that day. Turned into a beautiful day...who knew!

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    It is tempting to install the panels early because it just looks like a car with them on. Be patient. It's a lot easier to work on assemblies with the aluminum off. Especially in the early stages.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901