FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 in a 33 questions?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LS3 in a 33 questions?

Has anyone put a E-Rod LS3 in a 33 with A/C and Electric P/S?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know someone in Las Vegas who has that combo. He's not on any of the forums, and I've only taken a couple pictures of his car, but it did all fit, same as all the other LS motors. He used the auto that Chevy sells in the E-Rod package too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    I know someone in Las Vegas who has that combo. He's not on any of the forums, and I've only taken a couple pictures of his car, but it did all fit, same as all the other LS motors. He used the auto that Chevy sells in the E-Rod package too.
    Could you PM me his name & phone # or email address ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have an E-rod with A/C and electric P/S in mine. Are you looking for the fit of something more specific?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There doesn't seem to be good info on accessory drives that will fit the '33. There's a recent posting on the other forum where a current builder cut out two of the frame braces to fit a low mount AC compressor and alternator. He weakened the frame by doing that. Eventually a post to the March website showed a low mount system that is supposed to work. http://marchperformance.com/chevy/ch...row-mount.html

Alan Grove makes low mount Sanden compressor mounts that may work. The dimension from the center of the crank
    to the pulley is close to the same, at 10-3/4". I have one, but not in an FFR'33. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm

Fortunately, the GM crate engines use the Corvette balancer that places all of the components as close to the engine as possible.

The only difference with the e-rod that I know of is having to construct a different exhaust system to accommodate the catalytic converters. If you don't have a TIG welder and an abrasive saw to fabricate your own exhaust system, you'll need the services of a good muffler shop.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...673#post163673
    Last edited by DaveS53; 05-23-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know of an alt only mount, pulleys and belt kit on the drivers side down low? I can use the alan grove unit for the A/C.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check with Vintage air they make a system but I don't know if it eliminates PS. I believe its called "Front runner"

Kenny

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    CVF Racing also shows several LS systems. CVF makes their own stuff and its top notch ! I have used some of it and am not in any way affiliated with them. Give them a call very helpfull.

Kenny

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Anyone know of an alt only mount, pulleys and belt kit on the drivers side down low? I can use the alan grove unit for the A/C.
    According to the March website, you can choose no power steering and no A/C, for $785, but it appears that it comes with the same water pump that you would already have with an LS3. Maybe they would delete it for a credit. March wants $485 for the A/C addition, but the Alan Grove setup would be as little as $375 with a compressor.

http://marchperformance.com/chevy/ch...row-mount.html

GM has some low mount alternators, but even the compact Cadillac CTS measures 12" from the center of the crank and that could be too wide. This document has all the part numbers and some pictures. Another idler pulley would be needed with no power steering.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...m-19155066.pdf

Summit Racing will sell the March 19930-08 alternator only setup for $715, which is still pricey, since it includes a water pump.

There may also be a frame mod that could reduce some of the interference issues, but folks who ordered a powder coated frame would probably not want to cut and weld on the frame. If you do like one builder and install curved tubes to go around the interference, you might as well just cut out the diagonal bracing tubes and leave them out. Curved tubes are worthless.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 06-15-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought I was the only one with pulley issues....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    And I thought I was the only one with pulley issues....
    NOPE
    I had to make a custom spacer for the ATI balancer because the March serpentine set-up wasn't designed for anything but the
    OEM Mopar balancer.
    I do expect to see a lot of options at SEMA this year for the COYOTE engines.
    DB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture of the limited space available. The balancer is a Camaro model that is 3/4 inch longer than a Corvette model. This is NOT my car, but pictures are from a current build on the other forum. This builder later cut out the offending braces and put curved tubes in their place, which was not worth doing, since curved tubes have almost no strength in compression or tension.

This builder discovered that a 2000 Camaro low mount alternator setup does NOT fit.

Last edited by DaveS53; 06-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

You guys are having fun!! I mocked mine up on the stand, took it back apart, put the engine in, then put the brackets on and couldn't the alternator down in about where the 3" mark on your yardstick is!! Took the brackets off, put the alternator in the hole, put the bracket on the engine, nope, din't work, put the bracket on the alternator, Then bolted it to the front of the engine. That was with all the other front stuff on the engine and no lower rad hose. A/C could go on the opposite side maybe, but for now it will be 2/60 n done. Mine of course is different than yours so take lots of pictures and keep posting those dimensions!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Apparently, a stock Cadillac CTS alternator and mount will work. These parts are included with GM accessory drive 19299070. Here's a picture where the stock GM smooth idler pulley was replaced with a ribbed model and the belt routed over the top of the pulley, then under the water pump pulley. More belt wrap on the water pump pulley would be created if the stock smooth idler was used and a second ribbed idler installed on the cylinder head, where the power steering pump normally goes. Dirty Dingo sells an idler pulley like this.

https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1677

Post Thanks / Like
    I am putting a 525 hp LS3 crate motor with electric p/s and IRS. I had to change the oil pan as I ran into interference with the p/s with the pan that came on the engine. I am in the process of installing an Eddie Motorsports serpentine front drive system. It has a/c, alternator, water pump and an ATI balancer, no p/s. It is polished and looks good. Just started on install.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 430hp LS3 came with a Corvette oil pan. I see that the 525 hp engine uses a Camaro oil pan. Did you switch to the Corvette pan or something else?

The Eddie Motorsports accessory drive should work, but $2300 is a lot to pay. What I don't like about nearly all aftermarket accessory drives is they move all of the components forward by 1.5-2 inches, which can cause clearance problems with cars that have engines without a larger than normal engine setback. The cost is driven up when you toss a perfectly good balancer and water pump, to accommodate the setup. Not a fan of high mount AC compressors with the hoses all up high. I'd use stainless steel braided AC hoses to improve the look. I had to resort to a high mount alternator on my '37. The low mount alternator position is occupied with the power steering shaft. With a power steering pump and low mount AC, the only other place is up high on the passenger side. I bought a chrome alternator to improve the look.

It took a lot of research, but by combining the CTS alternator and bracket with an Alan Grove low mounted compressor bracket, you can make a compact accessory drive with AC for under $1000. Of course it doesn't have a show quality polished finish on it, but it works.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 06-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlar View Post
    I am putting a 525 hp LS3 crate motor with electric p/s and IRS. I had to change the oil pan as I ran into interference with the p/s with the pan that came on the engine. I am in the process of installing an Eddie Motorsports serpentine front drive system. It has a/c, alternator, water pump and an ATI balancer, no p/s. It is polished and looks good. Just started on install.
    What oil pan did you wind up using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a '33, my LS376/525 is getting fitted into a MKIV so take it for what it's worth. I can confirm the 525 comes with the late model Camaro/Holden VE pan which is HUGE(8.5 qts) but also hangs extremely low. I had to switch to a C6 Corvette wet sump which I believe is the shortest of all LS factory pans.

As for brackets, I was less driven by space considerations since the engine bay is pretty big in the Roadster, I just wanted something specific. i.e: Alternator low, PS pump above it but very tight to the block, and a simple tensioner. In the end, I made my own brackets and it was extremely easy. I just finished them up and posted a thread yesterday(thread here). It took me two afternoons to complete and you can create any configuration you want. The hardest part was was literally trying to find the correct length belt since it's not something you can just look up. It took me three trips to the local auto parts store but luckily I do enough business with them that they let me take a few and bring back what I didn't use.

If you can't find what you need, buy some 1/4" steel plate and do it yourself. To top it off, I have less than $25 invested in my brackets.

-TJ