Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Digital Guard Dawg Troubleshooting help?

Post Thanks / Like

Digital Guard Dawg Troubleshooting help?

I am using the Digital Guard Dawg as my ignition source for my electric 818. I'm having some odd behavior. I was in contact with EJ @ digitalguarddawg, but he seems to think the unit is broken and now won't respond. I saw a few posts with people using this on their builds and thought maybe someone might have some insight. It seems the modules (PKE and PBS) are working, however I have to ground the "Ground When Disarm" output. If I don't, the units do not come alive. This is strange behavior seeing as this should be an output.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanick View Post
    I am using the Digital Guard Dawg as my ignition source for my electric 818. I'm having some odd behavior. I was in contact with EJ @ digitalguarddawg, but he seems to think the unit is broken and now won't respond. I saw a few posts with people using this on their builds and thought maybe someone might have some insight. It seems the modules (PKE and PBS) are working, however I have to ground the "Ground When Disarm" output. If I don't, the units do not come alive. This is strange behavior seeing as this should be an output.
    Nick
    Sounds like you don't have a good ground on black wire of 8 pin connector.
    Bob
    dawg.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That was one of the first things they recommended so I tied the ground directly to the battery. Still same behavior. Could it be length of wire? Ground to frame is about 6". I'm getting less than 0.2ohms from the ground point to the battery negative terminal. My DMM isn't the most accurate especially at that low reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanick View Post
    That was one of the first things they recommended so I tied the ground directly to the battery. Still same behavior. Could it be length of wire? Ground to frame is about 6". I'm getting less than 0.2ohms from the ground point to the battery negative terminal. My DMM isn't the most accurate especially at that low reading.
    Length shouldn't mater.
    When you take the "ground to disarm" wire to ground and it turns on the unit. It is saying to me that the normal ground is not there. I would check the crimps inside the connectors. If they are good. Problem is probably inside box.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,
    You were right ... so I went through the ground path and re-checked everything. The supplied harness double crimps both module grounds into a single contact. It held together ok, but it had a lot of gap to insulation on one of the conductors. So I added a little bit of solder and shrink tubing. Seems to work fine now without having to "ground" the output signal. Thanks for the tip!