Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build help please !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Build help please !!!

In the process of rebuilding the motor and ran into a big snag.
    After hours on the net I found out more about what engine I bought. Its a ej207 type RA. Has yellow 550 side feeds and a IHI VF29 turbo.
    Books say a V6, as noted by the VF29 turbo and yellow side feeds. (built 5/99) book says its v5 has shim over bucket, so I am confused - V5 has shim over and VF28
    Is this a late year build Frankenstein parts engine ? half V5 half V6 ?

The cam rides on Shim over buckets.

18679233_10208426941861611_1524648802_n.jpg

In a complete bonehead move, the head was turned and a few buckets and shims fell out.
    I can't locate any solid info for which shims go where. My caliper is a cheapo, and only measures them at 2.2mm
    I have seen on the Type RA site they go from 2.15 to 2.70. No where does it say which are intake/exhaust.

Anyone have insight to these? This is the first time I have been this deep into a Scooby motor and don't want to screw it up.

18676541_10208427328911287_1936140506_o.jpg

Side note - the intake has no tvgs and looks huge !

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only done the shimless bucket heads, but there aren't specific exhaust and intake buckets for those. You simply put the shims/buckets where needed until you get the appropriate gap as measured with a set of feeler gauges. You can't use calipers because the shims might all be similar, but the buckets themselves and the valves themselves would all be different. you need the correct stackup of all those parts to get the right gap. Usually exhaust gap is bigger than intake gap.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I've built a bunch of (Yamaha) engines that use the shim/bucket. Here's a link that might help you get your head around what's involved:

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/rxrider....47473/page-48

I wrote the spreadsheet referenced in this link. If you think it would be helpful (and want a copy) send me a message with your email and I'll forward a copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also installed shimless buckets on my EJ205 cylinder heads (the process is the same with shimmed buckets). I agree with Mechie's comments, you have to use a feeler gauge to measure valve clearance. Also, I hope you're using the shimming procedure in the FSM for your specific engine. Let me know if you want me to send you the one's I have (02-07). I would trust the FSM and use internet info/forums as a reference only. For instance, on my heads the intake valves require a clearance of 0.20mm +/- 0.02mm and exhaust valves require 0.25mm +/- 0.02mm.

02wrx.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The markets varied engine setups from us, jdm and eudm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Followed the link, very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I also installed shimless buckets on my EJ205 cylinder heads (the process is the same with shimmed buckets). I agree with Mechie's comments, you have to use a feeler gauge to measure valve clearance. Also, I hope you're using the shimming procedure in the FSM for your specific engine. Let me know if you want me to send you the one's I have (02-07). I would trust the FSM and use internet info/forums as a reference only. For instance, on my heads the intake valves require a clearance of 0.20mm +/- 0.02mm and exhaust valves require 0.25mm +/- 0.02mm.

02wrx.jpg
    STi, there is where I am having a problem. Cant find a JDM 99 GC8 FSM - any links I have found ( nasioc/ rs25/ ) are dead ends.
    One build did state the factory cam lash for a 207 V5 RA is ( again, 1 person and I cant verify via FSM )
    Inlets 0.15 ~ 0.20mm
    Exhausts 0.20 ~ 0.25mm

After talking with a pro shop, he said just install them ! follow the sequence for checking lash, record findings. Then move any around to make it correct.
    A major PITA, but its the only way to assure they are correct.
    A very important lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update,

All lashes are in tolerance, now just have to swap swap over a few items.
    1. Timing belt cover - the 207 was cracked.
    2. Crank timing pionter ( if that's the correct term ) as it differs from the 205.
    3. INTAKE - that is a real bummer. was hoping to use the JDM one due to no TGVs, however, the JDM was side feed injectors and doesnt have the same mounts for
    the fuel rails or TMIC. Also, the TB is different, another let down.
    4. replacing all the sensors - precaution mostly.
    5. Flywheel
    6. Coil packs and plugs (all new)

Waiting on the Tactrix to tune/re flash the USDM ecu.

Anything I am forgetting ?

Thanks again.
    "E"

Post Thanks / Like
    Good time to replace the cam seals and valve cover gaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Good time to replace the cam seals and valve cover gaskets.
    Did the Cams, crank, intake, ( did not split the TB ) complete valve cover set, didn't do the oil pan or the o-ring on the filler tube.
    The clutch is newer, was installed by Subaru less than 20K ago. Records say the flywheel was resurfaced as part of labor, so we should be good there.

Thanks again, have a great summer.