Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Painting Transmission and Differential Housings - Best Products?

Post Thanks / Like

Painting Transmission and Differential Housings - Best Products?

Does anyone have any tips for painting the aluminum housings on the trans and diff? Is POR-15 the way to go, even though it's aluminum?

I'd like to paint them, and have time before my kit is delivered. I haven't decided between black, silver, or red - but definitely would like to do it. I'm concerned about adhesion and durability.

If anyone has any experiences with POR-15 or other coatings for these applications, please let me know.

Thank you,
    --Curt

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought here. Painting those is also going to make them run hotter. They don't need paint for preservation. You can't see them unless you jack the car up, so what is the purpose?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine powder coated in Kingsport grey.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide on black I'd recommend Eastwood Chassis Black. It comes in satin or gloss and is very durable. You can get it in rattle can or cans you have to mix and shoot with a gun. For these small items a rattle can would work well and these are no garden variety rattle can paint systems. The spray nozzle is about as close to a gun as you can get and if you want the top of the line product with ceramic it is a two-part system that comes in a special can with the activator built in to a separate chamber you have to release before shaking the can. There are primers especially formulated for aluminum. Aircraft and missiles are aluminum and most are painted. As for painting aluminum and it making the parts hotter do some research and you'll find that's not the case. Bare aluminum doest not emit heat energy as fast as painted aluminum. Google color and cooling and look for Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics for an experiment you can do yourself to prove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy that knows a guy. I'll call tomorrow, if I get a chance, and ask him about heat dissipation through a painted case. I don't believe it's an issue, but I'm not too proud to ask.

RickP: Did the trans have to be disassembled to powder coat the case? That would be optimal, if I can just drop off my TKO and get that done.

NAZ: Thanks for the info, and the research reference. If I go black, that sounds like it is a good option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Eastwood Chassis Black on my 69 Mach1 and it worked great and still holds up after 7 years.
    Newbie Builder
    MK4 # 8947 - Base Kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered September 2, 2016
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build
    1969 Mustang Mach1 -393W, T5Z, Shaker Hood- Electric Pearl Blue w/ Stain Black Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need special paint, Rustoleum is a great product

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    RickP: Did the trans have to be disassembled to powder coat the case? That would be optimal, if I can just drop off my TKO and get that done.
    Yes it needs to be disassembled. Same with the rear. If powder coat is not an option, as others have said, por-15 or Eastwood chassis black is a great choice. If you want something besides black, rustoleum is a sturdy painted surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Las t February I painted my intake w/ Rustoleum self etching primer and then silver Hammered rattle can paint. It still looks great. My valve covers are same except black color.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My bell housing is black, and as much as I'm tempted to go massive overkill on the red red red, I think I'm going to go with a good primer then the Eastwood Chassis Black to keep it less busy looking.

I can say that after getting some input from someone I know, I'm moving forward with the plan to paint with no temperature concerns.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had not even considered painting or powder coating either the trans or bell housings, but I like the idea. I think I will wash down both with carb cleaner and apply shark skin.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for East Wood products,

Post Thanks / Like
    I used POR15 on both ... but I am not sure I would do it again! because it is a pain to apply and requires at least two coats plus some type of top coat. I will say it is durable and tough as long as the parts are properly prepped.

The Eastwood products are great so far and I would probably go with that in a future build.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I used VHT Chassis Black, in the rattle can. I'm using the Rustoleum Hammered on my engine bay Aluminum - also a good product. You'll only see it when you're under the car.